3 star recruit to D2 Topic

So i know hes not a perfect recruit, but I was messing around and managed to sign a 3 star prospect.

I only had 2 openings so I didnt have a whole lot of APs to give out. I was a C prestige D2 during all of RS1 team so my APs shouldnt have been worth a whole lot.
Basically, if I can do that, i wonder what how high an A+ prestige D2 team can aim? Can they pull down a 4 star? maybe even a lower end 5 star if the preferences align?
I was lucky in that Papas was JUST outside the universally visible recruit range so maybe he just slipped through the cracks
2/11/2017 1:28 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by CoachWard95 on 2/11/2017 1:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by benrudy on 2/11/2017 1:28:00 AM (view original):
So i know hes not a perfect recruit, but I was messing around and managed to sign a 3 star prospect.

I only had 2 openings so I didnt have a whole lot of APs to give out. I was a C prestige D2 during all of RS1 team so my APs shouldnt have been worth a whole lot.
Basically, if I can do that, i wonder what how high an A+ prestige D2 team can aim? Can they pull down a 4 star? maybe even a lower end 5 star if the preferences align?
I was lucky in that Papas was JUST outside the universally visible recruit range so maybe he just slipped through the cracks
I am going after a 2 star c and going all in within 2 cycles of effort with my division 2 Miles team. Will be my first battle in 3.0.
You give a lot of advice for now admitting you've never battled in 3.0.
2/11/2017 2:09 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
The worst person to give any new player advice. Or maybe the best...???
2/11/2017 2:26 AM

You hit the nail on the head - the key is he was just outside the top 100. If he'd been #96, I think there's almost no chance you'd have held off good D1 schools for him.

Btw, I'm assuming you matched up well on preferences, and/or gave promises?
2/11/2017 6:48 AM
Posted by bhansalid00 on 2/11/2017 6:48:00 AM (view original):

You hit the nail on the head - the key is he was just outside the top 100. If he'd been #96, I think there's almost no chance you'd have held off good D1 schools for him.

Btw, I'm assuming you matched up well on preferences, and/or gave promises?
I actually didn't match up all that well. Started neutral x3 v good x1. Promised 15 minutes pretty early on which bumped me up to neutral x2, v good x2
2/11/2017 7:19 AM
I don't think there's any artificial limit. There are some top 100s that aren't even close to good enough for D1. The ranking and star algorithm has holes and can be way off. These misranked recruits will likely fall to the lower divisions. There's an ego trap here and I think some d2 coaches are too concerned with landing a highly ranked player like it's some kind of coup and are missing the bigger picture. Recruit the player not the ranking.

At the 700+ overall points level, it's difficult to randomly assign those points too poorly, so even if the potentials suck some d1 coach will find a use for the player. The star and ranking systems, though, are not reliable.
2/11/2017 7:51 AM
They really should do away with projected levels. I'm assuming it's a guideline for SIMAI recruiting but I've ran across D2 that I wouldn't want on my D3 and I've found some D1 projected that I'm not sure about.
2/11/2017 8:17 AM
2 seasons ago I was at D2 and saw that there was a 4 star rated around 40 on the top 100 that only had a SIM on them. It was UNC so it had an A prestige but I wanted to see if I could beat them. This guy definitely wasn't a 4 star quality guy and he would have been just OK on a D2 team.

So at the start of the 2nd session I went all in and bumped the SIM from VH down to Low. This guy was a late signer so he didn't sign right away and waited 4 more cycles to sign. Every cycle the sim got closer and closer and eventually knocked me down to High. He signed with the VH over my H so I lost the dice roll but I was VERY close to getting him if he hadn't taken so long to sign.
2/11/2017 8:23 AM

I am going after a 2 star c and going all in within 2 cycles of effort with my division 2 Miles team. Will be my first battle in 3.0.
dang wardo, you gave up your smokescreen powers...now everyone is gonna jump on your recruits. i hear you have the best recruits, based on your forum wisdom.
2/11/2017 8:49 AM
I did see a 4 star guy go to a D2 team in Smith. Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - William Christian - Ratings - Smith - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports

They beat out a ton of Big 6 D1 programs for him.
2/11/2017 9:57 AM (edited)
Posted by bathtubhippo on 2/11/2017 8:49:00 AM (view original):

dang wardo, you gave up your smokescreen powers...now everyone is gonna jump on your recruits. i hear you have the best recruits, based on your forum wisdom.
Not really smh!! I go after 150 to 200 because its gauranteed signing range. They will have to search for this c he visited my camp and is not top 100.
2/11/2017 10:12 AM
Posted by chapelhillne on 2/11/2017 9:57:00 AM (view original):
I did see a 4 star guy go to a D2 team in Smith. Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - William Christian - Ratings - Smith - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports

They beat out a ton of Big 6 D1 programs for him.
wow, great player. I can't imagine those DI teams put in a ton of effort on him though if they weren't able to beat a DII.
2/11/2017 11:02 AM
Posted by Benis on 2/11/2017 8:23:00 AM (view original):
2 seasons ago I was at D2 and saw that there was a 4 star rated around 40 on the top 100 that only had a SIM on them. It was UNC so it had an A prestige but I wanted to see if I could beat them. This guy definitely wasn't a 4 star quality guy and he would have been just OK on a D2 team.

So at the start of the 2nd session I went all in and bumped the SIM from VH down to Low. This guy was a late signer so he didn't sign right away and waited 4 more cycles to sign. Every cycle the sim got closer and closer and eventually knocked me down to High. He signed with the VH over my H so I lost the dice roll but I was VERY close to getting him if he hadn't taken so long to sign.
Yeah, recruits with a signing preference of "Whenever" also take way too long to sign. As you note, it's all to help the higher prestige D1 coaches, because, you know, they're the ones who need so much help.
2/11/2017 11:25 AM
12 Next ▸
3 star recruit to D2 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.