The Annual 4MBCPMBBT Tournament Topic

Hi coaches,

I have reached out to the other 3 conferences (NJ, Northwest, and USA South) about starting a tournament a la the Big 4 and their Snowball Shootout. I think this would be a good way to add a bit of cross-conference competitiveness and fun. Here is the initial layout I had in mind, and please feel free to comment with suggestions.

By the 8th conference game, each conference will submit their rankings of the 7 best teams.  I say 7 because our conferences have around that many human coaches, slightly more, and I'm not sure if scheduling a Sim can be done, so I figured it would be easier to stick to just human-coached teams.  I know you can't schedule Sim vs. Sim so including them might throw things off. I would welcome any thoughts on this.

Each conference will then post their rankings in this thread, ordered #1-#7.

The matchups will take place during the final (10th) non-conference game, so everyone would need to keep this slot clear.

The matchups will pit one conference vs. another, in two sets. (ex. CCIW teams will play NJ teams, Northwest will play USA South)

The conferences who win their matchup will play head to head next year, and the two losing conferences will play.  This is how the matchups will be each year.

Home court advantage will be determined at the #1 seed level, and will go to the #1 seed with the better RPI. I would welcome any thoughts on this. From then on, the HC will alternate (#1, #3, #5, and #7 seeds from the same conference will have HC).  If there is a tie, the conference with the better overall RPI will have its #1 seed have HC.

Please let me know any thoughts/suggestions/changes you may have.
8/22/2012 8:30 AM
For HCA, will it be the best RPI by the 8th game?  After NC play is finished?  Guess we'll just make note of everyone's RPI here in this thread at the designated time for scheduling purposes.
8/22/2012 9:32 AM
That was my thought, I figured right after NC play was finished might be too soon, and getting some conf games under your belt might be a better barometer, but timing can certainly be discussed.  Getting the RPI won't be difficult as it will only involve looking in two places: Conferences #1 seed, and if their is somehow a tie, overall conference RPI.
8/22/2012 10:44 AM
I think this is a great idea.  Good work, guys.
8/22/2012 11:45 AM
Posted by jkumpulanian on 8/22/2012 10:44:00 AM (view original):
That was my thought, I figured right after NC play was finished might be too soon, and getting some conf games under your belt might be a better barometer, but timing can certainly be discussed.  Getting the RPI won't be difficult as it will only involve looking in two places: Conferences #1 seed, and if their is somehow a tie, overall conference RPI.
I think immediately after the 10 NC games seems the best way to do it.  Eliminate the randomness where a team in a conference may play the 0-10 SIM team first up in conference play and see the RPI dip "unjustly".  At least for the NC games we control our own schedule and such.  You kind of lost me on that last sentence, though.
8/22/2012 5:28 PM
That makes sense.  We can see if anyone else cares to chime in on the issue, and we could always change it going forward if it seems like right after the NC isn't working.  For the last sentence, what I meant was that for HCA, the only teams that would be getting compared are the two #1 seeds.  So all I would need to do is look at Conf. A's #1 seed RPI vs. Conf. B's #1 seed.  Whoever has the better RPI would get HCA, and it would alternate down from there. If the two #1 seeds have the same RPI, the test would then be Conf A's overall conf. RPI vs. Conf. B's overall conf. RPI.  Whichever conference has the better RPI would have their #1 seed get HCA.
8/22/2012 7:59 PM
hey guys - i think its great you are trying to get this started. it will really help the world as a whole. i would like to offer a suggestion.  i think you guys should try to recruit new coaches to your conferences and build on this momentum.  personal invites work well, as do posts in the main forum. wooden is already a top d3 world, so your tourney should be a great recruiting tool. 
8/22/2012 11:56 PM
@ jp
This is true, but then we could end up with 3-3 ties after play. We could do top 5 from each conference, but then if I have another awful year like I did this year, I won't make it...and we can't have that hahaha
8/23/2012 8:32 AM
i feel like a good idea would be to either have top 5 or top7 and also when would we start to rank the top 5 or top 7 teams?
9/4/2012 6:34 PM
We could definitely do Top 5.  Let's plan to rank teams 1-5, human coaches only obviously, after Non-Conf play.
9/4/2012 7:10 PM
sounds good
9/4/2012 8:55 PM
Just an update: No response from the Northwest Conference, so I've reached out to St. Louis as a replacement. Hopefully they show some interest and we can get this thing rolling.
9/5/2012 8:38 AM
Westminster will represent the STL conference. So will Blackburn, Concordia and Fontbonne. We hope to get the other teams on board as well. We only have 7 real life coaches so they would be the ones ranked 1-7.
9/5/2012 12:10 PM
No problem. I understand the limitations of human coaches, so we might do Top 5 next year, and then expand to Top 7 the year after if more coaches enroll.
9/5/2012 1:58 PM
In

:)
9/7/2012 7:23 AM
1|2|3...13 Next ▸
The Annual 4MBCPMBBT Tournament Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.