I am a complete idiot. Topic

OK, so I was really happy with my latest recruiting class, thinking they are all going to be studs.

Then, ten games into the season, I notice that my SF recruit has a work ethic of 12.

What?  For some reason I was thinking when I recruited him that his WE was in the forties or fifties.  I would have never recruited him if I had noticed that it was 12, and I am sitting here wondering how the hell I missed it.  I guess just looked at the wrong line in his ratings?

Please somebody tell me that the same thing has happened to you some time.  I really can't believe I missed this, and that then it took me to the end of nonconference play to notice it.
9/17/2012 10:08 AM
Posted by carl3298 on 9/17/2012 10:08:00 AM (view original):
OK, so I was really happy with my latest recruiting class, thinking they are all going to be studs.

Then, ten games into the season, I notice that my SF recruit has a work ethic of 12.

What?  For some reason I was thinking when I recruited him that his WE was in the forties or fifties.  I would have never recruited him if I had noticed that it was 12, and I am sitting here wondering how the hell I missed it.  I guess just looked at the wrong line in his ratings?

Please somebody tell me that the same thing has happened to you some time.  I really can't believe I missed this, and that then it took me to the end of nonconference play to notice it.
Rest assured that  you are not alone, my friend. I usually set the first tab on my search screen to filter out kids whose work ethics are sub-30. One season I apparently forgot to set the dropdown menu from the default of athleticism to work ethic. Once I'm on a kid, I really don't pay that much attention to anything besides potentials, so the error escaped notice and I signed two kids with work ethics in the teens...punted them both the following off-season.

And I believe my thread title was "I am a moron"...
9/17/2012 11:14 AM
I signed a guy once that I thought "I can't believe I landed such a high rated guy with these potentials" and "why isn't anyone else on this guy?". Come to find out I never noticed he was a 2 year JUCO. Needless to say, I got to enjoy those high ratings for about 5 games at the end of his senior year as he came off the bench because his IQ's were still terrible.
9/17/2012 12:21 PM
I recruited a guy once with a 6 work ethic.  Cut him the following season.  Those potentials can look soooo appealing.... then you realize they don't mean jack crap with work ethic that low.  

I did take a guy this year w/ WE of 26.  Verdict is still out IMO whether or not I should have gone that low.  He rejected the redshirt, which I thought was a must.  Not sure what to do with him now long term.  So far he is doing okay, but I'm not sure he'll ever max out (kind of like my current senior, Moody - who still has a lot of room to grow but very little time).

I usually try to stay at 30 or higher.  Even that can be frustrating to watch the snail pace of improvement.  
9/17/2012 12:49 PM
Work ethic of 6?  How about one of my current freshmen Alfred Smith who has a work ethic of 3.  I basically ran out of good options at the end of the recruiting season and desperately needed someone to play backup minutes at SF.  My boy Alfred was interested and had Ath/Def in the 50's so he fit the bill.  And by "fit the bill" I mean I was incredibly frustrated and annoyed with myself that I took a guy with work ethic of 3 to both punish and amuse myself.

After the non-conference season, Alfred has improved by a whopping -2 points.  I love it.  Next recruiting season I'll be torn between taking the reputation hit and revoking his scholarship to get a real player or keeping him for another season just for the amusement factor.

9/17/2012 11:04 PM
Best thread ever!
9/18/2012 6:29 PM
I think I looked at passing instead of WE, which is 57, not 12. Pretty sure I will be rescinding him as soon as I can. Too bad bc he could really be a stud with a decent WE.
9/19/2012 1:52 PM
12 is low but might not be a death sentence. The kid has gone up 9 points this season - your RS frosh with 67 EE has only gone up 14... If you can start this kid sometimes that would help boost his WE. If his potentials are good and you can raise his WE into the 20s you'll have a shot at meeting those potentials. Yes he may lose most of what he gains this season (probably not all like a 3 WE guy would) during the offseason, but as soon as you can get him starts his WE will rise. Rescind him if it makes sense for class balance and you find other recruits to replace him, but I wouldn't flat out rescind just based on the 12...

ETA: you're conference seems full of sims - I'd try to start him most of those games and set his distro low and try to keep him out of the way a bit - I think you'll be able to win against most of those sims even if you were 4 on 5...
9/19/2012 2:35 PM (edited)
"Yes he may lose most of what he gains this season (probably not all like a 3 WE guy would) during the offseason..."
So you're saying I can look forward to Alfred losing his "gain" of -4 during the offseason?  Sweet.
9/19/2012 5:02 PM
carl, very similar thing happened to me with a guard that i was extremely high on. There is some silver lining though - he ended up being a 2-time all conference performer.
9/19/2012 6:45 PM
I had a guy's we change before playing a game. I complained and eventually they said it's to late to do anything.
9/21/2012 7:19 PM
If you cut a player, and your reputation takes a hit, what does that really mean?  Does it hurt your ability when recruiting?  Is your reputation as important as your Prestige?  I have never cut a player, and wondered if it is worth the hit.
9/24/2012 11:02 PM
Posted by bobmeyer on 9/24/2012 11:02:00 PM (view original):
If you cut a player, and your reputation takes a hit, what does that really mean?  Does it hurt your ability when recruiting?  Is your reputation as important as your Prestige?  I have never cut a player, and wondered if it is worth the hit.
Honestly, when I cut guys and took the rep hit, it really didn't faze me. I didn't see where it was costing me recruits -- sure, it might have caused a kid not to show on a screen or maybe I had to spend a little more (although, if I did, it wasn't much!), but it didn't appear to radically alter the number of guys available to me out of the states I typically FSS'd.

Had I wanted to change jobs to a higher division, I'm sure it would have impacted there perhaps, but as far as recruits, I don't think they saw much difference from me as an A+ rep coach and me as a B rep coach. If there was a penalty of some sort, it was so insignificant that it escaped my notice and did nothing to dissuade me from acting similarly in the future should it be in the best long-term interest of my team.
9/25/2012 3:45 PM
it hurts job changes the most.  I'm not doing too well in D2, and with a B rep the division 1 schools won't even look at me.  fortunately, I don't mind at this point. 
9/25/2012 4:46 PM
Update: after several starts, his WE has shot all the way up to 13, a stunning increase of one point.  Still not sure if I will cut him or not.
10/4/2012 9:53 AM
12 Next ▸
I am a complete idiot. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.