D3, Season 67 Topic

Thirteen teams reach conference play undefeated, including three from the University, and two each from the North Atlantic (!!) and New Jersey (!!)

Still keeping the perfect-season dream alive are:
Ursinus (barjaz, SOS 35), Trinity (TX) (bobmeyer, 45), Ozarks (spike 101, 59), Rhodes (reisel, 149), Hamline (foofighter13, 158), Occidental (halfakracka, 197), Chapman (irrev0cable, 220), Thomas (SIM, 232), Denison (dereksilcox, 242), Ramapo (pgj930, 250), Kean (SIM, 315), Johnson St. (SIM, 339) and St. Mary's of Maryland (tardhesticle, 342).

At the shameful end of the spectrum, there are eight teams still looking to celebrate victory for the first time all season. The Little East is burdened with two of those teams. No other leagues are repeat offenders this season. Only two of the winless are human coached and, as always, we'll protect the names of the guilty. There definitely needs to be a tip of the hat to Sim-coached Baldwin-Wallace, however. BW has managed an 0-10 start despite an SOS that ranks 380 out of 384 D3 teams. That takes some effort on Simmy's part.
7/14/2013 1:52 PM
Last Night
#10 Piedmont 69   Shenandoah 62
After trailing at the break and for most of the second half, Kenneth McCoy hit a 3ptr to finally put Piedmont ahead by 1 with just over six minutes to play.  Shenandoah then had a couple turnovers and missed a few key shots, unable to move back into the lead.  Piedmont made their free throws at the end and were able to hold on for a key conference opening victory.  Piedmont and bunkerbuster had three players in double figures and move up into the top ten in the rankings.  Shenandoah and zagman were led by David Katz's 18 points but they have to feel like they let one get away from them here.

Also considered: #3 Ozarks made enough free throws to hold on for a 66-63 win over Millsaps, Centre scored a 70-67 upset over #13 Rhodes, North Carolina Wesleyan had no trouble with #19 Oglethorpe 79-67, and in another close game last night Newbury got a clutch basket with thirteen seconds left and survived for a 51-50 upset of #15 S. Vermont.

Sim blowout watch: In case the curiosity was killing you, I went back and did some research and confirmed that last night's 91 point spread was indeed a record for the Sim blowout watch.  The next highest was Juniata getting 89 points against Susquehanna in the second week of last season's conference slate.  I'm sure you feel better knowing that.  Anyway, Sul Ross State practically needed all 91 points as they fell to #2 Hardin-Simmons 43-112.  Elsewhere, Gettysburg covered against #1 Ursinus 48-73 as did Chestnut Hill vs #23 St. Mary's 56-73.

GotN
#3 Ozarks (11-0)(spike101) at #12 Louisiana (10-1)(discodave)
Four ranked teams in the University conference's west division won their first conference game last night and now two of those ranked teams meet on day two.  The Ozarks Eagles look to stay undefeated on the season as they travel to Louisiana to face the Wildcats.  Eagles and Wildcats?  One of these games is going to feature interesting mascots, I promise.  This should be a really good game with both teams wanting to keep early pace with the rest of this highly rated division.

Also considered: Austin at #6 Texas Lutheran, #16 Southwestern at Centre, #19 Oglethorpe at Shenandoah, and #22 Chapman at Willamette.

Sim blowout watch: Much lower spreads tonight as Wisconsin Eau Claire is a 39 point road dog at #5 Wisconsin Superior and Averett is getting the same 39 as they visit #10 Piedmont.
7/15/2013 12:43 PM
Three of the undefeated teams lost their first conference game last night, down to ten.
7/15/2013 12:45 PM
Last Night
#2 Ozarks 85   #19 Louisiana 73
Ozarks made a nice run late in the first half to come back and tie the game going into halftime, and then they were able to gradually build a lead in the second half.  Their defense was able to smoother the Louisiana offense for large parts of the second half, resulting in a solid 12 point victory.  Ozarks and spike stay undefeated and get bumped up a notch in the rankings while Louisiana and discodave slip down a few spots after their second loss of the season.

Also considered: #5 Texas Lutheran ran Austin off the floor in a huge 115-71 victory, #12 Southwestern got past Centre 76-69, #17 Oglethorpe put on a parade of free throws to nip Shenandoah 68-66, and Willamette held on to deal Chapman their first loss 60-58.

Sim blowout watch: Wisconsin Eau Claire covered by the narrowest of margins against #6 Wisconsin Superior 51-89 but Averett was not nearly as fortunate as they became an official blowout victim to #10 Piedmont 59-110.  Ouch.

GotN
#11 Palm Beach Atlantic (11-1)(osgonlz) at #10 Piedmont (10-2)(bunkerbuster)
We have a solid near-top ten battle tonight as the Sailfish of PBA travel to Piedmont for another big USA South clash against the Lions.  You heard me right: Sailfish!  That's the kind of thing I was hoping for when I started looking into the mascots for GotN teams.  Both of these teams are 2-0 early in the conference season so the winner here will get the early advantage in the divisional race.  Should be a good one.

Also considered: #19 Louisiana at #12 Southwestern, #9 Johnson and Wales at Emmanuel, and Suffolk at #15 Rivier

Sim blowout watch: How convenient that I mentioned the highest spread from last season in yesterday's writeup since we'll be tying it today.  Poor winless St. Thomas (the school in Minnesota, not the island) is getting a record-tying 91 points as they host #8 Hamline while Sul Ross St. gets close to the record as an 85 point home dog against #5 Texas Lutheran.  Game on.
7/16/2013 1:01 PM
I don't think Webster will be up for any GotN for the rest of the season but you would have found a treasure with this mascot:  The Gorloks.  "It is a mythical creature  reported to have the paws of a cheetah, horns of a buffalo, and face of a Saint Bernard." Not even joking. Got that straight off the school website.

It also says "The Gorlok embodies the highest standards of speed, agility, and stamina."  Meaning: this team is meant to run the fullcourt press.

7/16/2013 6:42 PM
Vassar likewise will not be involved in any GotN contests this season, but mschulte's post got me to investigate our name.  The Vassar College's team name/mascot is the Brewers, which doesn't seem like a very interesting mascot until I remembered that it was a women's college for the first century of its history before becoming coeducational in 1969.  However, the college's founder and namesake, Matthew Vassar, was in fact a brewer and merchant, so I suppose the mascot does make some amount of sense.

Some other interesting Matthew Vassar facts I learned: as part of founding the college in 1861, he presented the Board of Trustees with a tin box containing half his fortune ($408,000, which is about $10 million in today's money) and a deed conveying 200 acres of land to establish the campus.

Another amazing Matthew Vassar fact: while delivering his farewell address to the college's Board of Trustees, he dropped dead while in the middle of delivering the 11th page of his speech.  Ironically, as part of that speech he had written that the college was fortunate not to have had a death or serious illness among the Board or the student body in the first few years of the college's opening.

And finally, I should take this time to quote a verse from a once popular Vassar College song:
     And so you see, to old V.C.
     Our love shall never fail.
     Full well we know that all we owe
     To Matthew Vassar's ale.

Go Brewers!  [Beat those Gorloks!]

7/16/2013 7:50 PM
I absolutely loved the last two posts, thanks for those mschulte and theriddler.  In fact, I may have just spent about fifteen minutes on the Webster University website trying to find out where I could order a Gorloks t-shirt.  I figure it would be a great addition to my D3 school shirt collection, right next to my treasured Wooster "Fear the Scots" t-shirt.  Sadly, I could only find shirts that have the "Webster Gorloks" text on the front.  I mean, come on, is it too much to ask to be able to order a t-shirt with a picture of Gorlok on it?  Why do we even have the internet?

I think I owe you guys a couple Matthew Vassar ales as a thank you for the mascot posts.  They inspired me to start thinking about a new addition to the daily writeup, maybe tomorrow...
7/17/2013 3:37 PM
Before we get to today's writeup, a quick rant.  You know what's a great way to start your morning?  Checking last night's game results for your pretend basketball team and finding out that your Wooster Fighting Scots lost in OT on the road at a 200+ RPI Sim-controlled team.  Awesomesauce!!

Last Night
#15 Palm Beach Atlantic 62   #9 Piedmont 77
Piedmont called "fish out of water" on the Sailfish last night opening up a big halftime lead and maintaining a double digit margin for much of the second half.  Piedmont and bunkerbuster were able to stay perfect in the conference after getting 16 points from both of their starting guards and holding Palm Beach Atlantic to just 38% shooting from the floor.  PBA and osgonlz probably wish they could've shot more free throws since they made 22 of 24 from the line, but they slide down a few spots in the rankings after the loss.

Also considered: #14 Louisiana nailed a 3ptr with just one second on the clock to force overtime and then pulled away in the extra frame for a 94-87 win over #19 Southwestern, Emmanuel upset #11 Johnson and Wales 79-75, #10 Rivier handled Suffolk 56-40.  Also, we're down to seven undefeated teams left with a couple teams suffering their first loss last night.

Sim blowout watch: Not surprisingly St. Thomas covered the 91 point spread but still lost to #8 Hamline 44-75 while Sul Ross St. got much closer to not covering as they fell to #5 Texas Lutheran 62-115.

GotN
#6 Trinity (12-1)(bobmeyer) at #3 Ozarks (12-1)(spike101)
We go back to the University conference with the Trinity Tigers visiting the Ozarks Eagles.  I'll give Trinity some points for alliteration, especially since it's the Trinity (TX) Tigers.  Both teams are in the top ten and also tied atop the division standings at 2-1.  Now I'll give myself some points for alliteration.  spike leads the series between these two coaches at 8-5 but bobmeyer's team is 1 point favorite on the road, should be another good one.

Also considered: Newbury at #11 Johnson and Wales, #13 S. Vermont at W. New England, Shenandoah at #15 Palm Beach Atlantic, and Emory at #19 Southwestern.

Sim blowout watch: Two eleven loss teams are getting 63 points on the road tonight: Albertus Magnus at #10 Rivier and California Santa Cruz at #23 Occidental.
7/17/2013 4:07 PM
Last Night
#3 Trinity 74   #9 Ozarks 64
After a back-and-forth first half, the home team went into the break holding a slim 4 point lead, a gap that would be quickly closed by visiting Trinity early in the second half.  The game remained close until Trinity pulled away with a few baskets in a row around the five minute mark.  Ozarks couldn't make enough shots at the end to get back within striking distance and it ended up being a 10 point loss.  Trinity and bobmeyer had three starters in double figure scoring and with the win they move up into the top three in the rankings.  Ozarks and spike suffer their second loss of the season and slip down to #9.

Also considered: #10 Johnson and Wales pulled away from Newbury in the second half to win 82-67, #11 S. Vermont handled W. New England 60-45, #12 Palm Beach Atlantic made enough free throws at the end to secure a 74-71 win over Shenandoah, and back-in-the-rankings #18 Emory took out Southwestern 79-62.

Sim blowout watch: Albertus Magnus (no relation to Magnus ver Magnusson) had no trouble covering against #14 Rivier 53-70 and neither did California Santa Cruz vs Occidental 49-77.

GotN
#22 Rhodes (11-2)(reisel) at #18 Emory (11-2)(phalla)
After falling out of the rankings recently, defending champ Emory is back and on a three game winning streak to open conference play.  Tonight the Eagles play host to the also-ranked Rhodes Lynx (Lynxes?).  But first, a quick timeout for an interesting Wikipedia tidbit about Rhodes College: "With four national championships and eight national final round appearances, Rhodes's undergraduate mock trial program is one of the most prestigious in the country."  That's right, it's a bunch of Lynxes who are absolute beasts in the trial court and on the basketball court.  Emory and phalla are going to have their hands full tonight.  reisel has never beaten phalla in ten tries but the visitors are favored by 1 in this one.

Also considered: #12 Palm Beach Atlantic at #15 Oglethorpe, #6 Wisconsin Superior at Concordia, #7 Piedmont at North Carolina Wesleyan, and #24 Penn St. Altoona at Elizabethtown

Sim blowout watch: Albertus Magnus goes for two in a row by getting 64 points at home to #10 Johnson and Wales and Wisconsin Lutheran is a 56 point road dog at #23 Northland.

And now, let's try a new addition to the daily writeup.  I'm still trying to come up with a catchy name but it's basically another game of the night, but one that doesn't involve any ranked teams.  It's an effort to spread the spotlight around a bit and feature some of the conferences that don't often pop up in the daily news.  I'm open to suggestions on future games to feature as well as what to call this section.  Right now I'm going with "It Took a Little Research but Here's Another Game of the Night".  Like I said, it's a working title.

ITaLRbHAGotN
Wittenberg (9-5)(darnoc29099) at Denison (12-2)(dereksilcox)
We kick off this feature over in my neck of the woods with a cross-divisional battle in the North Coast.  Both of these teams have lurked around in the others receiving votes section of the rankings and were the preseason favorites in their divisions.  dereksilcox leads the head-to-head between these two by a slim 6-4 margin and he's a 1 point favorite tonight at home.  Both teams have stumbled a little in the early going and need this one to keep pace for a division title.
7/18/2013 2:09 PM
Posted by pseudochamp on 7/17/2013 3:37:00 PM (view original):
I absolutely loved the last two posts, thanks for those mschulte and theriddler.  In fact, I may have just spent about fifteen minutes on the Webster University website trying to find out where I could order a Gorloks t-shirt.  I figure it would be a great addition to my D3 school shirt collection, right next to my treasured Wooster "Fear the Scots" t-shirt.  Sadly, I could only find shirts that have the "Webster Gorloks" text on the front.  I mean, come on, is it too much to ask to be able to order a t-shirt with a picture of Gorlok on it?  Why do we even have the internet?

I think I owe you guys a couple Matthew Vassar ales as a thank you for the mascot posts.  They inspired me to start thinking about a new addition to the daily writeup, maybe tomorrow...
Not D3, but if you can find an "unofficial" Delta State 't' with the "Fear the Okra" logo on it, it's a great conversation starter.  Fear the Okra.
7/18/2013 7:28 PM
Holy crap I need a Fear the Okra shirt...  My birthday is coming up next month, if anyone needs my address for shipping purposes let me know.
7/18/2013 10:34 PM
Posted by pseudochamp on 7/18/2013 10:34:00 PM (view original):
Holy crap I need a Fear the Okra shirt...  My birthday is coming up next month, if anyone needs my address for shipping purposes let me know.
I don't know about a Fear the Okra shirt, but this thread has me thinking about having a Fry the Okra shirt made for my mom (she's from the deep south and makes the best fried okra).   Mmmmmmmm.......fried okra........
7/19/2013 1:02 AM
Here's a Fighting Okra t-shirt

Couldn't find a "Fear the Okra". They really need to produce the "Fear the Okra" apparel.

7/19/2013 3:52 AM (edited)
After yet another conference road loss at a Sim-controlled team, who hates his team the most?

Votes: 10
(Last vote received: 7/28/2013 10:06 AM)
7/19/2013 11:04 AM
Again not D3, but another t-shirt pseudo needs for his collection...
7/19/2013 11:14 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...10 Next ▸
D3, Season 67 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.