ODL-40 Team Compositions Topic

Strengths: Chris Paul will be a good floor general and your whole team has great effective field goal percentages. You've got three pointers from three starters and that is solid. Also a strong floor balance with your primary passer also not being your highest usage player.

Weaknesses: Weak on the offensive boards, beyond Mel Daniels it may be hard to get those second chance opportunities. You have less than 1400 free throws made between the starters and I am actually going to call that weak as well, mainly based on what I've seen in the past. Miller and Murphy leave you weak on defense, but Paul and Erving help out.

Overall: Ten million to draft around six thousand minutes, it can be done. As of right now I view this team as a borderline .500, but given the right pieces and enough minutes to not cause fatigue this could either be better or worse for you.
8/16/2012 2:09 PM
I have run some practise budgets through and can make 19450 minutes ok. The good news in I really only need to load up on defense and Orebs on the bench, and that makes it easier than if I needed more scoring punch.  

I took Miller in round 5 just so that I don't need 3's off the bench. One thing I have learned from the Sim is that if you pay to get, say, 800 made 3's on your team you just ****** yourself because Simmy won't shoot that many 3's. 300-500 is the sweet spot, below that you are in real trouble and above that you are wasting money.

My hidden advantage is that my fouls + turnovers are very low.
8/16/2012 2:18 PM
I am interested to see who your next two picks will be. I did notice your low turnovers too.
8/16/2012 2:23 PM
"One thing I have learned from the Sim is that if you pay to get, say, 800 made 3's on your team you just ****** yourself because Simmy won't shoot that many 3's. 300-500 is the sweet spot, below that you are in real trouble and above that you are wasting money."

this is kinda false...the sim loooooves 3s....not every guy will exceed his total(89-90 jordan always seems to be right around 100) but most big time 3pt shooters(billups,allen etc) will make 50-100 more 3s....and the low usage bombers will go nuts from time to time(novak made almost 300 in 1200 mins)....i dont think ive ever had a team that made fewer 3s then their rl total....i had the warriors once in either the gym rat league and went with a mookie/jrich/marshall/murphy/wilt lineup with even more 3s off the bench....something like 700 total...we ended up making well over 1000 3s
8/16/2012 3:43 PM
as far as I've seen in the odl three pointers have no limitations.
8/16/2012 4:08 PM
In the 11-12 draft league appleseed drafted over 1000 threes and made over 1300. If you're making significantly fewer threes than you drafted you probably overdrafted usage and none of your guys are shooting as much as in RL
8/16/2012 4:12 PM
I don't have the last odl numbers, but looking at this past 52 mil draft. Malone carried both Peja and Allen on his team. Both guys started, he added two more guys who shot close to or just above one hundred threes made and the end result was 868 three's made. The real life totals combined was only 704.

I have 768 between four guys, with passing which Malone lacked in his starting five, cumulative he had it, but Billups at 31.7 is destined to have a big passing season. Now I haven't started certain processes of building this team, but I'll be adding more three's, I already know that much.
8/16/2012 4:16 PM
Usage wise my team is spot on with the intent. at 21.6, Harden is close enough to Tier 3.
8/16/2012 4:17 PM
the last three times I stacked on threes NONE of my guys hit their real life totals, so I am done trying to hit 800 3's. My experience is that 500 is just about right, so I aim there.
8/16/2012 4:27 PM
Of course my last open league my team made 700 more turnovers than real life, so Ikinda am throwing that one out as far as being representative.
8/16/2012 4:28 PM
I have never made less threes than the IRL totals.  In any league.  But especially the ODL.

never.

You're doing something wrong.  /shrug

Please continue drafting mid-range dominant scorers.  Leave the paint monsters and the arc-bombers to me.
8/16/2012 4:35 PM
The very 1st ODL I was in you said the only thing consistent in the sim is rebounding, and that has certainly been the case with me lately. My results have gotten progressively wierder so I am not happy about it.

I realize none of the sims is perfect: In the baseball sim you can do 100 leagues and every single pitcher in every one of those leagues will have a higher whip than his real life stats. Needless to say, the hitters will all do better too, especially .230 hitting no power utility guys. But you know that going in, (or figure it out quickly) so you nver spend money on a 1.08 whip Ace when a 1.38 whip journeyman will end up with identical stats. (About a 1.50 whip).

In HBD, you know that 2 pitchers, one a starter and one a reliever, with absolutely identical ratings, will end up with the reliever ALWAYS having a much worse whip. The HBD engine is extremely hinky for generating 10 run innings, always by the bullpen.  So you dont waste picks or spend money on bullpen.

The basketball sim also has it peculiarities- the one definitive thing it that can be said is that it favors offense, beyond that its only consistency is inconsistency.

In any case, other money I have already spent, I am close to the end at WIS, as I would rather do Chess or Bridge.
8/17/2012 8:03 AM
who won last season?
8/17/2012 5:59 PM
I did.

No, I'm not doing evals.
8/17/2012 7:15 PM
Posted by ashamael on 8/17/2012 7:15:00 PM (view original):
I did.

No, I'm not doing evals.
There you go bragging again...
8/17/2012 7:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...13 Next ▸
ODL-40 Team Compositions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.