ODL LXII Team Rosters & Commentary Topic

Ash, cool I'd like to hear the details. Thanks.

3/17/2013 9:16 PM
Posted by dh555 on 3/17/2013 9:12:00 PM (view original):
top 5 pg still out there and rondo gets the nod.....now hes prob gonna go to ash...awesome
cp3, magic, kidd, stockton...

there are 3 names at PG that shouldn't be available right now.  There's also some really good guys at other positions I can't believe are still there... we'll see what happens!

3/17/2013 9:35 PM
tadmand - Kevin Garnett, Scottie Pippen

Well, this team's got a good start.  Both are excellent defenders.  Both rebound well for their positions (assuming you run Garnett at SF & Pippen at SG).  Both also provide a lot of assists.  I don't care for their shooting (at least the Garnett version I believe you'll be using, anyway), but a defensive squad can overcome some offensive inefficiency in the current sim structure.  Also, this team reminds me of monkee's funk52 squad right now.  I wonder if you're going to follow suit and try the big bang theory (high assist) or if you're going to go a more traditional route than he did.

skypilot - Hakeem Olajuwon, Rajon Rondo

I really don't like being harsh, but if I weren't honest, I feel like I'd be doing everyone a disservice.  The Olajuwon pick was early... and so was the Rondo.  As dh said, there's a top 5 pg still out there.  In fact, I can think of 6 other guys that should be gone before Rondo is even considered.  I can't tell you who because they haven't been drafted yet.  Anyway, the calling card of this squad is defense as well.  However, unlike tad, your guys don't do other things well that need to be done.  Rondo gives you no perimeter game (almost a must for this league).  I've already gone over the Dream extensively.  There's still hope for this team, but you really need to get the rest of the draft right on the money to even sniff the playoffs in my opinion.  But hey, I've been proven wrong many times in these commentary threads, so go show me the Dream is worth a 1st rounder and that Rondo is better than _____, ______, ____, _____, ______ & ___ _____!

PS - I feel like "Harlem Shakes" would be a good name for this team.

cmcafeeky -- Chris Paul, Kevin McHale

I'm not a huge cp3 fan, but he does nothing that hurts you and many things that help you.  McHale, however, I love, and I think this is a great beginning to a terrific squad.  You're going to hold your own on boards at the 1 & 3, have great defense at both positions, low turnovers, and, well, McHale is a stud offensively that will only be better because of Paul.  I like what you're doing here.

ashamael - David Robinson, Marcus Camby

I picked Robinson because he gives me lots of easy deuces (55% fg) as a third tier usage player.  He gets to the line a ton and makes those free throws.  He plays great defense and rebounds decently well for an offensive minded center (notice very few third tier or higher usage centers end up with higher than 35% creb).  To supplement the strength of my front court defense, and to keep a competitive advantage on the boards, I added Marcus Camby to the mix.  Camby has many nice seasons... depending on how the rest of my draft goes, I can go with most expensive season (has less offensive boards but higher minutes & better defense) or go with my favorite season (where he has 42% creb, less fouls, but less minutes and slightly lower defense).  This really opens the door for my SF, meaning that I'm not trapped into drafting a certain guy because of his offensive or defensive rebounding prowess.  My original plan was to take a PG here, but since there are literally 10 still available that I would love to have, I'm taking the chance that at least one of the guys I want makes it back to me.

3/18/2013 12:17 AM (edited)
tad, mixed results on that funky52 squad thus far just in case you were wondering
3/18/2013 9:06 AM
Thanks felonius.  Never heard of funky52 or the big band theory.  Would never try to overwhelm an opponent with assists anyways.  I prefer metrics that are not subject to law of diminishing returns like efg% and defense. This is first draft league I have entered (other than EOL which was team draft and not individual player draft) and I find it very fascinating.  From a beginners perspective, it seems fairly important to draft players who give you the good flexibility (multipositional). This allows the owner to later draft the best player available and not draft for a specific position. It also gives the owner more options to experiment and determine his best lineup while the league is in play. That's my opinions anyways.  
3/18/2013 10:20 AM
assists maybe arent subject to diminishing returns - there's a dude fielding 150% with 5 on the floor and he's getting sick results
3/18/2013 10:28 AM
Hi Tad, haven't played with you in awhile, good to see you. About ast, pushing ast to pmax (practical maximum), which is somewhere around 32ish, will drive up your eFG%. Case in point, in one league where the team was averaging 32apg, a team that should have average ~49%FG% was running 52%FG% for the season. Jabbar shot 65FG% for 82 games and maintained 65% for PO's. In another season with ast @30apg, team ran 50FG% for season, with Jabbar @60FG% for reg season & PO's. It seems to make sense that a high ast% team will be a high FG% team. Of course that just my opinion on it...
3/18/2013 12:36 PM
Pushing any stat significantly past pmax, just waste $$$. You can draft 70rpg, but pmax is about 55rpg, so you'll just waste money drafting 70 boards per game. That is the definition of diminishing returns..right?
3/18/2013 12:53 PM
Posted by smokey57 on 3/18/2013 12:53:00 PM (view original):
Pushing any stat significantly past pmax, just waste $$$. You can draft 70rpg, but pmax is about 55rpg, so you'll just waste money drafting 70 boards per game. That is the definition of diminishing returns..right?
I agree with the general concept of diminishing returns in the SIM, but you need to use the % numbers, not raw totals, because that's what the SIM formulas are based on.
3/18/2013 12:55 PM
For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone insists on Garnett being a SF. I agree in general that it's usually best in the rebounding battle to push a guy further out toward the perimeter if you can, but the problem is that Garnett's best seasons aren't SF-eligible. Yeah, 02-03 Garnett is good, but the best Garnett season is 05-06, which has plenty good rebounding for a PF and is much more efficient than his SF seasons. Also, salary matters in this league, so it helps to save a little for the bench. I've seen plenty of promising ODL drafts torpedoed by plunking too much money down for the first 2-3 picks and causing 1500-3000 minutes to be played by stiffs.
3/18/2013 1:00 PM
Tar, I do use the advance stat's to draft my teams. I was just giving per game numbers for the example. The total #'s are a function of the advance #'s, in a given game.
3/18/2013 1:52 PM
Posted by smokey57 on 3/18/2013 1:52:00 PM (view original):
Tar, I do use the advance stat's to draft my teams. I was just giving per game numbers for the example. The total #'s are a function of the advance #'s, in a given game.
Eh - I would just forget total numbers altogether. I barely even think about them when drafting a team. Just saying, your benchmarks for when returns will start diminishing should be calculated by total % numbers, not totals. For example, I find it's generally unnecessary (and wasteful) to have over 40% oreb or 100% dreb in a given lineup; most of my teams are in the 35%/90% range. I think having over 70% ast on the floor usually means some wasted money on assists. I think over 15 usage points generally means some wasted scoring, etc.
3/18/2013 2:09 PM
well im getting sick of building top 3 offenses that dont translate to wins (dont even get me started on my 52mil team right now) so i think ill do the exact opposite this time...passed on the dominant paint scorers for the best defensive guard(and someone who lets me draft low-usage guys later on) and took walton(someone i usually never pick because i like to get more mins from my 2nd rounder) instead of some really good sfs since he was basically the last big left with great boards and great d
3/18/2013 2:12 PM
Posted by ashamael on 3/17/2013 9:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dh555 on 3/17/2013 9:12:00 PM (view original):
top 5 pg still out there and rondo gets the nod.....now hes prob gonna go to ash...awesome
cp3, magic, kidd, stockton...

there are 3 names at PG that shouldn't be available right now.  There's also some really good guys at other positions I can't believe are still there... we'll see what happens!

billups was #5 imo.....love that guy
3/18/2013 2:22 PM
dh555, not so sure you would have gotten Walton 4 picks later. Nevertheless, was a great pick at your turn. Only reason I did not pick him up much earlier is that you only get 2250 minutes of his great metrics whereas most players in these early rounds are up around 3000 minutes. Still, a very good pick. Congrats.
3/18/2013 2:25 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...20 Next ▸
ODL LXII Team Rosters & Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.