15. banditone - Shaquille O'Neal, Stephen Curry
16. natenoy - Dennis Rodman, Tyson Chandler
17. slymonium - Dwight Howard, Donyell Marshall
18. longtallbrad - Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion
19. tarheel1991 - Kevin McHale, Jerry Lucas
5/10/2013 2:51 PM
Lol.
5/10/2013 2:53 PM
I am surprised by the placement of Hakeem/Reed.  Hakeem has a pretty bad rep in these leagues and Willis Reed I felt like was a pretty big reach where he went. But maybe this is a better combo than I was thinking. It is interesting to see someone elses perspective.
5/10/2013 2:54 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 5/10/2013 9:52:00 AM (view original):
thanks 98. I'd be curious to know why you think McHale/Lucas are the worst combo of that group - I mean it shouldn't be super surprising since they were picked 31/32.
McHale was a good pick, but Lucas is one of the biggest frauds in the Sim. You could have picked at least 100 better players than him. There is still plenty of time to turn it around though.
5/10/2013 2:55 PM
lucas is a monster....poor defense...thats its....everything else is awesome....and with mchale hes already halfway to covering him up completely on the front line
5/10/2013 3:07 PM
and whats not to like about howard/marshall?

5/10/2013 3:11 PM
I guess Howard/Marshall aren't a good pairing in your book?  I can play Marshall at SG or SF.  He gets rebounds, 53.5 efg% and is 85 or 86 on D.  I (obviously) think I'm on the right track.

Also, do the different font colors have any significance? 

5/10/2013 3:13 PM
he just copy/pasted it from page 1 is all
5/10/2013 3:17 PM
Posted by 98average on 5/10/2013 2:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tarheel1991 on 5/10/2013 9:52:00 AM (view original):
thanks 98. I'd be curious to know why you think McHale/Lucas are the worst combo of that group - I mean it shouldn't be super surprising since they were picked 31/32.
McHale was a good pick, but Lucas is one of the biggest frauds in the Sim. You could have picked at least 100 better players than him. There is still plenty of time to turn it around though.
yeah, I'm not sure what's wrong with Lucas - he has two seasons that are worthy of late 1st/early 2nd consideration - 67-68 and 68-69. The first is great because it locks in a great rebounder for 45 min a game, has tier 4 usage w/ good efg%, and chips in a few ast/stl/block without hurting you in fouls and FT shooting like a lot of other bigs.

68-69 - my usual preferred choice - has 56.7% efg, 12/27% reb, 11% ast, and again good fouls/turnovers/ft% for a big man. Sure, only 50 defense, but what's not to like? If that Lucas season had 90 def he'd probably be a borderline top 15 pick, even with low usage.

But anyway - it's healthy to have disagreement, and I would expect my top two picks to not compare as favorably when I waited so long to make them.

5/10/2013 4:50 PM
Also - interesting pick in the 2nd here is Steph Curry. I actually initially planned to take him with one of my first two picks, to use that new season, and ended up deciding not to. Here's why:

That 12-13 season looks enticing at first - definitely comparable to Ray Allen - and is certainly a good one. But folks, it isn't that different from his 10-11 season, aside from 400-500 more minutes. More threes, fewer fouls, and slightly more assists and usage, but also less efficient and fewer rebounds. And he's basically been a late 4th/early 5th player before. Either we were way underrating him before or mid 2nd is too high for the new season, because the differences aren't enough to mean 50-70 spots of draft difference, IMO. I think the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. He's now the leader in 3PM, but massive numbers of threes don't help as much as they used to because they don't get the overly high bump from ast/uptempo they used to. The assists are solid, but you'll still need plenty from your other guard (likely around 20% or so, unless your frontcourt has more than usual), and the rebounds are weak. So now, to pair with Curry you need a guard w/ high defense, good rebounds, and good assists, not something that's easy to come by in the later rounds (unless you already got that in your 1st round pick, which means you have to play catch-up in the frountcourt).

Anyway - that was my thought process, from a guy who initially planned to use that new Curry season.
5/10/2013 5:15 PM (edited)
Also, to add to Lucas above and why I love picking him early: it's the versatility, baby. The total package. Here's the list of guys who get you 10/25% rebounding, 10% ast, 55% efg, and fewer than 4 F/48:

Wilt
Wilt #2
Wilt #3
Jerry Lucas

And remember, Lucas's ft% is well above Wilt's, he chips in over a steal and block per game, and all of his numbers are actually a couple percentage points higher than the benchmarks I posted above.

5/10/2013 5:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that the last time 98 won a title, most of you didn't even play this sim.  I wouldn't put any stock in what he has to say.  He already showed himself (and tang for agreeing with him) dumb.
I was looking at Ash's picks for best players in the league and the seasons that he used for a few of them were totally wrong

for reference:

12-13 Lebron  (can there even be debate on this?)

66-67 Wilt  (can there even be debate on this?)

89-90 Jordan (can there even be debate on this?  If you say 88-89, you're dumb)

91-92 Rodman (can there even be debate on this?)

3500 minute/57% fg Kareem (some debate - but I did win the ODL with this Kareem... I like the extra 300+ minutes over the 3200 one that had better boards. Playing the captain 48mpg in the playoffs > 2% more boards and a smidge more defense.)

10-11 Howard (some debate - the 07-08 is great as a support as is the 09-10, but the 10-11 gives you that next tier of usage, making building around him much easier)

78-79 Moses (can there even be debate on this?)

93-94 Shaq (best overall year.  99-00 gives better defense/less fouls at a cost of fg% & minutes, 94-95 gives extremely low tov% & 00-01 is the best at getting to the line/bargain deal... those three (as well as a couple of others) are really good, too, but 3200+ minutes of 60% fg/2nd tier usage trumps them.  At least this one can be debated).

Totally wrong?  Please enlighten us.
5/10/2013 7:41 PM (edited)

Thought I'd throw out a quick power ranking of the duos so far for everyone to chew on.  Let the hatemail begin.

24. felonius - Tim Duncan, Scottie Pippen
4. vancem - Moses Malone, Anfernee Hardaway
10. slymonium - Dwight Howard, Donyell Marshall
9. dh555 - Kevin Durant, John Stockton
3. theyard - Michael Jordan, Marcus Camby
23. longtallbrad - Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion
16. ashamael - Ben Wallace, Manu Ginobili
14. thomcat - Karl Malone, Dikemebe Mutombo
20. 98average - Julius Erving, Chauncey Billups
18. logain - Chris Paul, Magic Johnson
2. mikee1 - Wilt Chamberlain, Paul Pierce
7. natenoy - Dennis Rodman, Tyson Chandler
5. seapilots - David Robinson, Serge Ibaka
17. tarheel1991 - Kevin McHale, Jerry Lucas
6. banditone - Shaquille O'Neal, Stephen Curry
19. tricky24 - Dwyane Wade, Elton Brand
21. eleibowitz - Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen
13. tanguma44 - Charles Barkley, Mookie Blaylock
8. coachcroft - Larry Bird, Shawn Kemp
12. badja - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bob McAdoo
22. maglor1 - Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson
15. steelers821 - Hakeem Olajuwon, Willis Reed

5/10/2013 7:55 PM
Posted by logain on 5/10/2013 2:49:00 PM (view original):
I really don't think Chandler's D will go up.. don't see him making an All Def team.
Yea might miss it this time, The guy I expect to go up has not been drafted yet.
5/10/2013 9:27 PM
Listing Keem/Reed as dead last?  What's so special about Admiral/Ibaka? McHale/ Lucas is even lighter on boards than I am with about the same efg  .Kidd has not done much lately in draft leagues and neither has Marion.  I like them, but they are looking at bigs by committee.  Billups is another guy who is not on winning teams like he was years ago.  Felon has a nice beginning, but a long wait for his next picks. 

Sly might have the best combo so far.   Logain has unlimited options moving forward.  I have usage basically sewn up already with two 30ppg guys that shoot over 55%.  #22 overall?  hmm
5/10/2013 10:48 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...37 Next ▸
DH $52M Draft League XL - Team Roster & Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.