Funk52 XLI - Commentary Thread Topic

Use the list above to make your power rankings 98average. All of the owners teams are listed with the 7 draft picks.
8/5/2013 1:24 AM
Careful mikee1 don't start going tanguma44 on the other teams in league play LOL!
8/5/2013 1:25 AM
I don't know who Chris Anderson is, but I didn't draft him.
8/5/2013 10:54 AM
DH52 Power Rankings

1. ashamael - Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Serge Ibaka, Tracy McGrady, Clifford Ray, Dan Gadzuric, Chris Anderson.
tarheel1991 - Kevin Garnett, Dwyane Wade, Bobby Jones, Wes Unseld, Jon Barry, Brandon Rush, Brandon Wright
seapilots - Chris Paul, Dikembe Mutomobo, Amare Stoudemire, Danny Green, Anderson Varejao, Kevin Porter, Roy Tarpley
98average - Moses Malone, Alonzo Mourning, Brent Barry, Terrell Brandon, Andrei Kirilenko, Antonio Daniels, Oliver Miller
 longtallbrad - Dwight Howard, Chauncey Billiups, Horace Grant, Sidney Moncrief, Troy Murphy, Larry Sanders, JR Smith.
dh555 - Karl Malone, Tyson Chandler, Clyde Drexler, Jose Calderon, A.C. Green, Brent Price, Ed Davis
felonius - David Robinson, Bill Walton, Walt Frazier, Kenneth Faried, Nick Anderson, Delonte West, Marcin Gortat
 vancem - Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd, Patrick Ewing, Anthony Mason, James Harden, Erick Dampier, David Lee

pennsylvania- Nate Archibald, Bob McAdoo, Elvin Hayes, Billy Cunningham, Rudy Thomjanovich, Mitch Kupchak, Walt Szerbiak

One of the top 4 will win this league, period. Everyone from 9-23 is irrelavant anyway. I think Pennsylvania has a shot at a perfect season. The first in Funk/Dh history.

8/5/2013 11:05 AM
Posted by ashamael on 8/5/2013 10:54:00 AM (view original):
I don't know who Chris Anderson is, but I didn't draft him.
Quote post by ashamael on 7/31/2013 4:04:00 PM:        by this post you did.
Dan Gadzuric

Chris Andersen

can someone sm for me?  I'm slightly busy~
8/5/2013 11:11 AM
It's Andersen not Anderson snid
8/5/2013 11:38 AM
i'm pretty sure everyone in this league is aware of which Andersen he drafted despite the miss spelling in vancem's roster post. but thanks for pointing that out 98.
8/5/2013 12:21 PM
She was trying to be clever. No big deal snid.
8/5/2013 12:48 PM

I’m glad to see that virtually everyone thinks my team has no chance at the playoffs. However, theyard did me some solid favors by picking who he did for this division. The construction of this team appears on its surface to be a mess, but rest assured that each player was selected based on a complex set of assumptions about the sim and it all really does fit together quite well if these assumptions are correct.

As we all know there are numerous factors in play when the engine sims our games. The thing I focused on for this squad is something that I have NEVER seen anyone really break down in detail here. IMO the engine utilizes a ratio of the assists for each team’s offense to the defensive ratings of your opponent. If the ratio is high for the offense then there is an efg bump, if it is balanced then RL numbers are more likely, and if the weight is on the defensive side then there is a significant reduction in efg. It is ALWAYS a relative comparison (just like rebounding).

Pinpointing the assists number is not easy to accomplish, because IMO it will vary depending on what your opponent’s D is, so the number required to keep the advantage on the floor shifts from game to game and even from substitution to substitution.

Knowing how much D you need also is always changing because the others guy’s efg and assists are always in changing motion as well. 

At the end of the day if Wilt shoots in the  54-55% neighborhood and I hold my opponents close to RL then you will ALL know that I found what I believe is enough assists to assure an efg bump in most circumstances and enough D to hold opponents close to RL. If that happens then I think I’ll be in contention for 50 wins and the division title. AND if I’m wrong about what is going on here then Wilt will stay close to his RL efg and I’ll be in some trouble. Either way this will be a fun experiment with no expectations of success from anyone but myself. 

8/5/2013 1:06 PM (edited)
others sure seem more confident in my team than me. I like it but still not quite sure it will gel properly in terms of usage balance.
8/5/2013 1:36 PM
Okay nate you are so good at making assumptons about the SIM. I don't think that the D rating of the opponent has anything to do wth how many assists a team gets. With the exception being how many turnovers that the defensive team forces. If a great defensive until takes away possessions from the offense there will be fewer assists I am certain. Then combine that will offensive players like Magic who turn the ball over a lot already vs normal teams. and not even these juiced up $52 million rosters. and even more offensive possessions that could have resulted in assists are lost.
8/5/2013 7:16 PM
Posted by natenoy on 8/5/2013 1:06:00 PM (view original):

I’m glad to see that virtually everyone thinks my team has no chance at the playoffs. However, theyard did me some solid favors by picking who he did for this division. The construction of this team appears on its surface to be a mess, but rest assured that each player was selected based on a complex set of assumptions about the sim and it all really does fit together quite well if these assumptions are correct.

As we all know there are numerous factors in play when the engine sims our games. The thing I focused on for this squad is something that I have NEVER seen anyone really break down in detail here. IMO the engine utilizes a ratio of the assists for each team’s offense to the defensive ratings of your opponent. If the ratio is high for the offense then there is an efg bump, if it is balanced then RL numbers are more likely, and if the weight is on the defensive side then there is a significant reduction in efg. It is ALWAYS a relative comparison (just like rebounding).

Pinpointing the assists number is not easy to accomplish, because IMO it will vary depending on what your opponent’s D is, so the number required to keep the advantage on the floor shifts from game to game and even from substitution to substitution.

Knowing how much D you need also is always changing because the others guy’s efg and assists are always in changing motion as well. 

At the end of the day if Wilt shoots in the  54-55% neighborhood and I hold my opponents close to RL then you will ALL know that I found what I believe is enough assists to assure an efg bump in most circumstances and enough D to hold opponents close to RL. If that happens then I think I’ll be in contention for 50 wins and the division title. AND if I’m wrong about what is going on here then Wilt will stay close to his RL efg and I’ll be in some trouble. Either way this will be a fun experiment with no expectations of success from anyone but myself. 

You were confident in your ODL team too.  Your ODL team needs 14 things.  A 9mm, a clip, and twelve bullets.

When you cease being confident I will start to become concerned.
8/5/2013 8:35 PM

Sorry about the poor spelling. At least I finished the rosters list, that ash started, and then posted it for everyone's benefit.  

As far as natenoy goes the confidence continues to increase as the terrible drafting increases. First the awful ODL squad with Shaq, Allen and Granger and now this???  

I do want to see whether Ewing or Olajuwon gets the better of the other one more often when maglor1's team and my team meet 8 times this season. To me that's more fun than pounding nate's team in regular season play.

8/5/2013 9:03 PM
natenoy in all the years i've been on here, i have never seen the version of wilt your going to use be successful in any league other than the 500 lb gorilla theme (where everyone built around him. And in Those, the best teams always had a stud high useage guard to take some of the pressure off Wilt. The guard only enhanced Wilt and he would get his points. the way you sit now, No one has any reason to guard you outside. none of your low usage guards can take over a game and wilt can't win by himself. Still i'm interest to see how your version will do.
8/10/2013 10:25 PM (edited)
Thanks Ashamael, a look at the match ups in the "group from hell".

interior
dh     k malone, t chandler, e davis
sni     a train, big Z, m landsberger
ash     b russell, c ray, d garzuric, 
sly      big ben, t boerwinkle, j mcgee
fel      d rob, b walton, m gortat
tom    kaj, w reed, t washington

backcourt
dh     j calderon, c drexler, b price
sni    a hardaway, p pierce, roddy b
ash    oscar, mcgrady,
sly     k johnson, r allen, j nelson
fel     w frazier, n anderson, d west
tom   s nash, d harper, b winters

sf
dh     ac green
sni     c maxwell
ash    s ibaka, c andersen
sly     s marion
fel     k faried
tom    j smith
8/5/2013 10:17 PM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14 Next ▸
Funk52 XLI - Commentary Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.