ODL - Team Rosters & Commentary Topic

Posted by scudmissle on 9/21/2013 6:21:00 PM (view original):
thisredsox - Double Take

this squad reminds me of the chick who walks right by you... you notice her, she seems ok, not great, until she gets past you and you notice her perfect ***! then you stare for awhile and then walk right into a light pole.

on the surface, nothing jumps out at you right away. sure, there's wade... and who? hmmm, nothing special. then it dawns on you, the defense here is formidable as hell, there's plenty of room for wade to operate, and there's a very efficient 2nd scorer. damn, there's some rebounding here too, dimes, and some three's mixed in and suddenly, wham! the light pole affixes a major bump on your noggin'.

red, you have constructed an ideal team for wade to operate in while shoring up wade's needs with dynamic role players. i kind of agree/disagree with jhsukow's previous evaluation in which your choice of wallace was questioned. he can't oreb worth a crap, but he does dreb some, but enough at the no. 3 to warrant a 3rd round pick? the jury is out on that... however, he does other things quite well, but more importantly, wade's usage% is a beast, and the man needs the table set properly before he can be army like, and be all he can be.

penny boards a little, serge boards some, wallace does too, and so does wade. all positives. dimes are plentiful, and enough 3's to keep teams honest. yeah, a nice *** forming for sure. you know what is needed now, and you'll find some of these bigs in the 5th round for sure. there's one big that would fit perfectly for this squad, but i'm afraid he will soon be snatched up before the 4th round is over. too bad.

if you blow your 5th round pick, that fine *** just turns into another ugly face, and the girl with the nice bod becomes just that, another nice bod in a sea of ugly women. another ho-hummer. but i think you are an enlightened owner, so you'll choose wisely. this is definately an interesting squad. 1 dynamo surrounded with good defensive players who dish, shoot some threes, and are efficient as hell. gl2u.
Lol, scud, you are awesome - I really appreciate the analysis. You rock!

Traditionally, my teams have elite defense (with rare exceptions). Either I go the route of 4 and under usage/balanced/high efg team or I go 2 stars and scrubs (except my Wilt experiments). This team is built around the success I had with *(how is this guy not drafted??) along with Wade and Wallace. I like to surround my big-scoring guards with high def fodder, but the issue seems to come up of having great defense wins some games...but the proliferation of high foul guys that comes with low-rent/good d guys costs us games on occasion...we win most, but get the occasional game where we give up 30-40 fta and lose games we could have won.
9/21/2013 6:46 PM
Commentary from malone time....

This is the Breaking Bad addition.  I will not have any overt spoilers for those of you to dumb or lazy to not be caught up, or watching this show at all (which you should...it is almost unforgivable at this point).  With only two episodes left I find that this show is surpassing The Wire for me, but a lot can happen in two episodes.

iccoachb - Walt Jr. - good God does that kid love breakfast like you love usage.  All of the stuff that MJ does good, Payton is going to take away from him.  Then Zo has a good amount of usage too, but one thing I will say - Defense holy crap.  Later in the series Walt Jr. plays some great D too, but it is too late I still think Walt Jr. is too aggravating as is your team.  You are going to win by 20 in one game then get beat by 20 the next game.

banditone - Mike Ehrmantraut - only of my favorite characters - I love this team.  Sure it could use some assists and some more usage, but defense is pretty strong as long as Kemp doesn't go Mike on the people he doesn't like and beats on them all.  I think this has all of the makings of a contender.

steelers - Tuco - It starts out scary (although I usually want to start with a killer like LeBron, Wilt, or Jordan) and then turns into something almost comedic.  Rodman is solid, but I dont get Unseld especially with some of the other talent out there.  Curry is nice, but very frustrating.  D is rough since Unseld and Curry aren't stopping anyone.

natenoy - Victor - You are overstepping a bit here.  Kobe and Ray with Wilt.  In a 47 mil league.  I think salary is going to be your enemy.  I feel like drafting someone like Daniels or Grant would have been the move here.  Kobe is infuriating in this league, and you did get him in a later round, but sometimes you have to resist the temptation to show everyone what you can do, or something bad may happen (see season 4 episode 1)

skypilot - Todd - Aspergers and Heartless is not a great combination.  Especially when your family is full of neo nazis.  KAJ and Mookie is tough and  and a heartless combo.  David Thompson is the affliction.  He scores, plays D, and nothing else.  He would have been there in the sixth round.  You could have had Nash and got tons of assists and better efficiency.  With that you might have been Gus, but no sorry you are Todd.  Capable of being smart and duh all at the same time.

seapilots - Skinny Pete - A team of hidden talents.  That is right.  No matter what he does, sling crystal, play piano, or talk Star Trek alternate storylines with Badger he is full of goodness.  He is a junkie though.  LBJ is awesome as is Ewing and Buck, but the junkie side are how Ewing and Buck are going to foul everything in the stadium.  Players, Coaches, Fans, Peanut Vendors, and Referees.

eleibowitz - Jesse - Yo!  Mad stackz *****!  I love this team.  A good mix of stats and some solid options.  Can't play this team - or + and Howards D can cover for Parish some.  Lots of rebounding it's like they got "Yeah Magnets *****!"

coachcroft - Gus Fring - Currently you are just one short of perfection.  This team has everything (this is starting to sound like Stefon on SNL) threes, balanced usage, rebounds, assists, D, and explosions (what? that is what happens when you are in a nursing home and...nevermind this bit is getting old)

ashamael - Hank - Very complex character for a very complex team.  The defensive problems are covered by superior defensive players that can play a same position, but when faced with two strong guards ash is going to have to "tread lightly" against those teams.  Do not get me wrong I love Boerwinkle, but at this point in the draft I think you could have done a little better especially considering some of the guys taken after and potentially still available.  Overall I do really like this team and feel it could win the right division

jhsukow - Badger - Goofy and yet very interesting.  I could watch Badger for hours.  Especially a talk show with him and Skinny Pete talking about Star Trek.  I will say that I like your team if Mason is playing SF, but if he is you PF...I am not a fan.  I know you are going for the whole high assist thing, and you are doing it with lots of D, but I really think that you may never see an offensive rebound.  SO you better damn well not miss a single shot.  

malone - Skyler - I give myself the most hated character on the show, because I think I put something good together, but I usually snatch defeat from the jaws of victory causing me to love/hate this sim even more.  I will not give my team an honest critique since I feel it is difficult to objectively look at your own team...One of you guys can have fun with my squad.

felonius - Saul - This team could have been Walt, but I did the seble math and figured out that if you were given 6 1st rounders you would still get screwed with a second round playoff exit.  I really do love this team, like I love Saul.  A couple of more assists would be nice, but lots of D and boards will make for a very tough team.  For the record when the better call Saul show comes on I will be catatonic in front of the TV watching it.

dh555 - Tio Salamanca - Ding! Ding! Ding!  I love it on the surface just like I loved the hardcore ruthless mexican gangster.  Your frontcourt is crazy tough, but your D is pretty low compared to the rest of the league.  I am interested to see who you are going to have with Barry at guard.  Boarderline playoff though.

smokey - Lydia - You made tough decisions, but while some were good (Stockton and Lanier) some are a tad shortsighted.  Robertson and English could have been had much later in the draft.  Robertson is a foul machine and English is a scorer and nothing else.  I think hitching yourself to both of them will lead to your demise.

98average - Gale Boetticher - A great character that ended too soon, but whose effect was felt long after the (wait for it kids.......) second round elimination (see what I did there I usually say he is going out in round one, but this time I said...ugh jokes are always better when you have to explain them right?)  This team has one of my favorite players in Moncrief, my Mom's favorite players in Artis (Mom was a hardcore Kentucky Colonels fan), and Porter with Jones.  Turnovers could be a little higher than the typical 98average team, but still a very nice team.

theyard - Ted Beneke - This team has a lot going for it just like Ted did.  Ultimately you have to make sure that your quest for rebounds isn't going to "trip you up" with having to settle for a hunk of crap at PG.  I think there are two big things you are missing and I am not sure there is quite enough available for draft to help you fill both needs in the starting lineup.

cmcafeeky - Jane - I love Magic and Lucas, but then you draft my favorite player of all time in Olajuwon and you also take Nance.  This means Olajuwon is guarding the best offensive big man getting himself into more foul trouble.  Eventually we are having to roll you over as you are choking on your own vomit.

badja - Combo - He did sell the Crystal Ship to Jesse, but he also sprang a leak too.  Combo didn't make it long, and I am afraid the same is true of this squad.  This team isn't going to be competitive with the top teams as far as D goes.  Love will take away from the good things the other players are trying to do offensively.  At this point I think the 11-12 Love season is almost quasi cancerous like some of the Grant Hill good seasons are.  Anderson plays are clean game even though he blew game one of the 95 finals and then sucked so bad for the rest of the series that I actually thought he was John Starks from the 94 finals.  Oh right now it looks like you have 16 points of usage in the starting lineup...that is some wasted moolah.

thisredbox - Krazy 8 - The guy that started the descent to the team that may be the most polarizing.  I do not like this team.  At all.  Wade will put up 40 one game and the next game he will put up 35...on 40 shots.  The way this team is set up has people in the wrong spots overall.  Ibaka needs to be a SF to utilize his rebounding advantage and Wallace needs to be a SG for the same reason.  Sorry not a fan.

jkaye24 - Donald Margolis - I am sure Flight 515 started out nice too.  Wallace, Erving.  Sounds awesome.  Then Dirk.  Dirk needs the perfect storm around him and then he is hard to build around.  I am almost to the point that Dirk, Dream, Love, and Robertson shouldn't be drafted in this league.  Dirk can't rebound.  He can't play D.  He shoots, and that is about all.  KJ is nice, but I really feel like Dirk may crash the whole thing.

scudmissle - Walt or more specifically Heisenberg - My favorite Walt quote from the series is:

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

I think scud is the one who knocks here.  Duncan and Russ...good God.  Add in a scud fav in Marques with Clyde and this instantly feels like scud is going to end the season by asking us "Say my name."

beachcomber - Spooge - That name goes to this newcomer because if he tries something that a past player tried in the last ODL we are going to squash his head with an ATM.  A nice team until you drafted Tarpley.  Which is fitting to have a Breaking Bad theme and have a drug fiend like Tarpley involved.  The Tarp man will soak up fouls and rebounds like Walt craves methlamine.

jcred5 - Marco and Lionel Salamanca - This team gets two people.  Mainly because they acted like one.  Plus they were SUPER deadly.  See guys this is what you do...I am assuming we are going to see Price at PG, Pierce at SG, KG at SF, and Mutombo at C only now needing a board hoarder at PF to round out the team.  The Price lack of D thing is the only issue I see here, but mainly I see lots of wins and a division championship if not more.

mikee1 - Marie - This team is going to get beat PURPLE on the boards.  Boozer and Calderon couldn't D up my 13 year old.  While they bring good things to the table McHale, Marion, and Boozer together in the frontcourt is death.  If Marion and Calderon is in the backcourt there is no way to hide Calderon on D and then you need a Center, and those aren't going to be easy to find that are going to be of the caliber you want.  I see where you are going and I do like this team better with Marion at the 2, but that makes this a borderline playoff team then.
9/22/2013 1:22 AM (edited)
Reggie Miller?   shame, that.

Sky and Coach looking really good.

9/22/2013 8:50 AM
Here's what it looks like so far, may use a different Parish depending who my PG is

Name Team Pos Usage% 2pt%# 3pt%# eFG% OReb% DReb% Ast% Stl% Blk%
Manu Ginobili 07-08 Spurs SG 29.2 49.7 39.8 54 3.1 14.2 19.7 2.3 0.9
Clarence Weatherspoon 00-01 Cavaliers SF 15.3 50.5 0 50.1 8.8 22.4 5.1 1.4 2.3
Robert Parish 88-89 Celtics C 20.9 56.7 0 57 13.1 24.6 7 1.2 2.2
Dwight Howard 10-11 Magic C 27.4 59.4 0 59.3 12.1 28.8 4.9 1.7 3.8

9/22/2013 8:57 AM
I'll have about 15 usage points, which is not too much.  I wouldn't want less than 14, which is what my last team had.  In Ash's usage thread, he notes 12-15 to be ideal and I've found that to be true as well.

9/22/2013 8:59 AM
Posted by eleibowitz on 9/22/2013 8:58:00 AM (view original):
Here's what it looks like so far, may use a different Parish depending who my PG is

Manu Ginobili 07-08 Spurs SG 29.2 49.7 39.8 54 3.1 14.2 19.7 2.3 0.9
Clarence Weatherspoon 00-01 Cavaliers SF 15.3 50.5 0 50.1 8.8 22.4 5.1 1.4 2.3
Robert Parish 88-89 Celtics C 20.9 56.7 0 57 13.1 24.6 7 1.2 2.2
Dwight Howard 10-11 Magic C 27.4 59.4 0 59.3 12.1 28.8 4.9 1.7 3.8

Looking nice, except for the assists.
9/22/2013 9:02 AM
eleibowitz - Point Break

fitting name for a team without a floor general yet, but if the right guy is drafted (and i can see two players fitting in real well) then this is a team to be taken seriously, and at best, if you're in the same division, hoping for .500 play against them might even be wishful thinking. but alot depends on which players are chosen. i do not like the current parish season. i think the best season for this stud is his 73 def season with 25.5% usage and 54% fg. though mins in that season are a bit short (2400 or 2500, can't remember) they are all solid mins and parish is a very consistent scorer who will make a great tandem with dwight. too good! the current spoon-man season is the right one. my favorite clarence season. you might be surprised at how the sim will favor spoon's dish-rate. always a nice surprise when i use him.

i'm not a fan of ginobili on this squad. he's gonna demand his shots, and he's just not that accurate with them. he's gonna get his points, but at a slight cost to your bigs. unfortunate. however, i like ginobili's 80 def season. lots of 3's (128), slightly less usage which will translate well for howard and the chief. might be a good opportunity to platoon at the sg spot with him and one of your 6th round picks.

still, everything hinges upon the pg which needs to be a player with the right usage, high dish rate, and ideally, some def. that's a tall order to fill in the 5th round. more 3's can be had with one of your 6th rounders or scrubs. if you go with a different parish season, then you'll be needing some extra high quality mins in that area as well.

however, this is eleibowitz, and the dude obviously knows what he's doing in these drafts (lots of rings to prove this point)... yeah, point break, the great patrick swayzee movie (spelled that wrong) where good guys are bad, and bad guys are good. kinda like this team without a floor general. 

spoon would have still been available in the 5th round for sure. think i might have opted for that pg to have solidified the picture a little more. given all that, this is a playoff team for sure... howard + chief + eleibowitz guarantees it. gl, leib  
9/22/2013 9:36 AM

malone, you old chunk of halibut! great fun reading about a tv show i never heard of, but now feel like i never missed an episode. never watch tv, can't understand chinese humor. it befuddles me, and the more i learn this crazy language the more i understand just how warm and innocent the chinese are, but have no clue about what is funny, even after 5000 years of history.

a project like yours takes a few hours, and a few cups of java to keep it going. admire you for doing this. really. thanks a bunch. will read it again.

9/22/2013 9:51 AM
Posted by scudmissle on 9/22/2013 9:36:00 AM (view original):
eleibowitz - Point Break

fitting name for a team without a floor general yet, but if the right guy is drafted (and i can see two players fitting in real well) then this is a team to be taken seriously, and at best, if you're in the same division, hoping for .500 play against them might even be wishful thinking. but alot depends on which players are chosen. i do not like the current parish season. i think the best season for this stud is his 73 def season with 25.5% usage and 54% fg. though mins in that season are a bit short (2400 or 2500, can't remember) they are all solid mins and parish is a very consistent scorer who will make a great tandem with dwight. too good! the current spoon-man season is the right one. my favorite clarence season. you might be surprised at how the sim will favor spoon's dish-rate. always a nice surprise when i use him.

i'm not a fan of ginobili on this squad. he's gonna demand his shots, and he's just not that accurate with them. he's gonna get his points, but at a slight cost to your bigs. unfortunate. however, i like ginobili's 80 def season. lots of 3's (128), slightly less usage which will translate well for howard and the chief. might be a good opportunity to platoon at the sg spot with him and one of your 6th round picks.

still, everything hinges upon the pg which needs to be a player with the right usage, high dish rate, and ideally, some def. that's a tall order to fill in the 5th round. more 3's can be had with one of your 6th rounders or scrubs. if you go with a different parish season, then you'll be needing some extra high quality mins in that area as well.

however, this is eleibowitz, and the dude obviously knows what he's doing in these drafts (lots of rings to prove this point)... yeah, point break, the great patrick swayzee movie (spelled that wrong) where good guys are bad, and bad guys are good. kinda like this team without a floor general. 

spoon would have still been available in the 5th round for sure. think i might have opted for that pg to have solidified the picture a little more. given all that, this is a playoff team for sure... howard + chief + eleibowitz guarantees it. gl, leib  
Thanks Scud. Yeah I looked at that Chief season but I already have a pretty high foul and TO frontcourt player already. Didnt want another one.... TOs and fouls has been the downfall of my last few draft teams. And Manu has a few seasons that are debatable. Spoon? It was just the lack of the type of SF that where available. Think I have a few optiond left for PG
9/22/2013 10:37 AM (edited)
jkaye24 - Donald Margolis - I am sure Flight 515 started out nice too. Wallace, Erving. Sounds awesome. Then Dirk. Dirk needs the perfect storm around him and then he is hard to build around. I am almost to the point that Dirk, Dream, Love, and Robertson shouldn't be drafted in this league. Dirk can't rebound. He can't play D. He shoots, and that is about all. KJ is nice, but I really feel like Dirk may crash the whole thing.

Love Breaking Bad and love your analysis, Malone.

Obviously, I knew Dirk would be a risky pick but I do think there's more than just shooting. I thought he was the perfect triangle to DR J and Wallace.

I have a few seasons to choose from, but to pick one of them as an example: 23.5% DReb, 12.4% Ast and 55 Def puts him not too far behind a lot of PF/C in this league, especially next to a 32% DReb, 100 Def in Wallace. His usage is handy as well, especially considering he is in MJ territory with the Super-Low TOV%. So his 52.9% eFG is "active" more often than a lot of other players who have TOV rates 50% higher than Dirk.

Name Team Pos Us% 2pt%3pt%eFG%OReb% DReb%Ast%Stl%Blk% Def TOV%
Dirk Nowitzki 06-07 Mavericks PF 29.5 51.2 41.4 52.9 5.0 23.5 12.4 0.9 1.4 55 9.5

Plus, he spaces the floor which my SG Dr J does not. True, his OReb% is potentially fatal, but if his one weakness is that he gives up too many defensive rebounds, I can probably live with it. He won't be a liability in terms of giving up offensive rebounds, not with a 23% Dreb rate. And he wont have to ever guard the highest usage PF/C, since he is interchangeable with Wallace who can pick up the cover on D.

Being a newcomer to the league, i could surely be wrong, but I do enjoy taking a chance on a player I love in real life, and I do hope to maximize his skills this season. Cant wait to find out and thanks again for the analysis, jh and malone!
9/22/2013 10:49 AM (edited)
  90 Dennis Rodman 91-92 Pistons PF 11.1 57.8 32.0 56.4 17.1 31.6 7.1 0.9 1.2
  49 Stephen Curry 12-13 Warriors PG 26.4 44.7 45.1 54.9 2.1 8.7 22.9 1.9 0.2
  46 Blake Griffin 12-13 Clippers PF 25.6 54.6 17.7 54.1 8.2 20.3 14.4 1.7 1.2
  80 Bobby Phills 95-96 Cavaliers SG 21.1 47.4 43.7 52.4 3.0 10.0 15.5 2.0 0.7
  49 Wes Unseld 69-70 Bullets C 15.7 53.0 20.3 52.1 11.1 25.8 9.1 1.2 2.7
cant stop anybody but like rebounding and efg is decent
9/22/2013 2:27 PM
interesting team, steelers. i like the phills pick. haven't seen his numbers for some time, and too lazy to look now, but he used to have 80 def... still the same?
9/22/2013 2:45 PM
ya the numbers to the left are there defensive numbers
9/22/2013 3:00 PM
great stuff malone.
9/22/2013 3:49 PM

Why I took Danny Green.

Green does not board at all and does not pass, but he is also a very clean player with 84 D (smokey, another good D player that does not foul) that is a low usage spot –up shooter. He only works in the proper rotation, but IMO he is an ideal fit for me because of the following:

1.       I wanted to keep Kobe/Allen as my backcourt. The reason I want to do this is because of something I learned with a Wade/high usage undrafted player backcourt from the $52 league. Kobe will always draw the best G defender from my opponents because he has the highest usage, but what happens when I face the teams with the likes of Nash, Calderon et al in the backcourt? Of course they will have to guard Ray Allen if I can keep Kobe in the backcourt with him. So, with this combo Allen will always draw a weaker G defender, meaning some crazy games.

2.       Allen has a D of 40 so that had to be covered, but he can guard PG/SG/SF. Kobe is a 90 that guards all three positions as well, and Green is an 84 who guards SG/SF. Now Allen will always guard the lowest usage player from the PG/SG/SF positions of my opponents and the top two usage guys from the three positions will draw a D combo of 90 and 84. IMO this will maximize my perimeter D as well.

3.       This only works because Clifford Ray and Wilt have such insane rebounding and assist numbers.  I have found that to win the rebounding battle you need about a 125 Creb, my starting lineup has 128.4. My combined assist% is 68.5% which should be more than adequate to keep my players above their RL efg’s.

4.       My starting lineup now has 575 triples at 40% shooting thanks to Allen and Green. But if a team goes +3 on me then Wilt will likely have one of those 16 for 18 games.

I’m just south of 14,000 minutes with only about $10 million left to spend, so the rest of my squad will be a challenge to build (but there are some solid seasons out there is the $2 million range and I KNOW that I HAVE to have around 19,300 minutes, even if the last few players don’t contribute much.)

I’ll be tough to beat for 24 minutes a game, how I round this thing out will determine how strong this team will end up being. 

9/22/2013 3:49 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸
ODL - Team Rosters & Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.