ODL Discussion & Vote - Rule X (div draft) Topic

12/11/2013 2:48 PM
We have 20 owners that have been polled, therefore the minimum for a consensus has been reached. I would like to hear from as many owners as possible so no final decision will be made until the end of the regular season in ODL XLV. Thx for participating.
12/11/2013 3:33 PM
Posted by smokey57 on 12/10/2013 3:47:00 PM (view original):
ok..a consensus requires a large portion of the voter pool be heard from, then the majority decides the outcome. To change the US Constitution requires all 50 states to vote and a 2/3's majority. That makes a consensus. Here I want 20 votes to make a consensus, then a simple majority decides the outcome. So not indicating 1), 2) or 3) is no help at all. A simple majority of the 'vocal few', without a poll of the 'silent majority' is why I had to open this thread. pls vote 1), 2) or 3).
given that the current state of affairs came into effect because like 4 people voted for it I maintain that your 20 is arbitrary and FYI the senate gets a lot more important stuff done on simple majority votes
12/12/2013 12:12 PM

Ya, check the economy, a pack of freak'n gum cost $5...great job!!!  20/24 x 100 = 83%, beats the crap out of the 9 votes used to change it in the first place.

12/12/2013 12:39 PM
Note, this system worked fine in the Roman republic for over 2500 years. The senate is a 200 year old joke...
12/12/2013 12:45 PM
I don't think this is going to make a difference, but since we haven't decided yet, I'd like to waffle and change my vote to "no change".
12/12/2013 11:18 PM
Skypilot votes 2
12/13/2013 2:15 AM
Posted by smokey57 on 12/12/2013 12:45:00 PM (view original):
Note, this system worked fine in the Roman republic for over 2500 years. The senate is a 200 year old joke...
the Roman republic lasted like 400-500 years from about 500 bc to just about Christ's birth and was actually more of an oligarchy ( a little like this one actually but more openly so ) than a true republic legitimized by a constitution AND popular suffrage
12/13/2013 10:40 PM
I'll split with you felon, I have Rome founded in 1000 bce to around 200 ace...or around 1200 years. Greek democracy rose and fell while Rome was having lunch.
12/14/2013 12:21 AM
You are aware that the holy lands was sort of being occupied by romans at the time of Christ & John the Baptist...they left around 200 hundred years later. A Caesar was a clear indication that the republic had failed..Julius 2 yrs, August 14yrs. It was when rome moved to a representative form govn'mt  that the republic failed completely. What did they call that again?  ...a senate.
12/14/2013 12:39 AM (edited)
Posted by smokey57 on 12/14/2013 12:21:00 AM (view original):
I'll split with you felon, I have Rome founded in 1000 bce to around 200 ace...or around 1200 years. Greek democracy rose and fell while Rome was having lunch.

Rome wasn't always a republic - first it was ruled by kings, later emperors - only for about 500 years was it ruled by two consuls elected by a senate and only during that period could it be considered a republic

also Rome as city state under Romulus actually starts in about 800bc and the Western Empire lasts until about 476ad and the Eastern Empire lasts well into the late middle ages/early renaissance so

12/14/2013 12:19 PM (edited)
Posted by smokey57 on 12/14/2013 12:39:00 AM (view original):
You are aware that the holy lands was sort of being occupied by romans at the time of Christ & John the Baptist...they left around 200 hundred years later. A Caesar was a clear indication that the republic had failed..Julius 2 yrs, August 14yrs. It was when rome moved to a representative form govn'mt  that the republic failed completely. What did they call that again?  ...a senate.
yep, this is all backwards and upside down 

first there was about 300 years of Rome as city state ruled by Kings (from about 750-800bc),

then the Rome we all know with the aqueducts and the rapid expansion and the roads and the ruling all the known world bit starts in about 500 bc and that was when it was a 'republic' and one of the things that made it a 'republic' was that there was this body called the 'senate' that annually elected the 2 counsels who would lead for one year terms

then around 27bc you've got Julius Caesar, emperor and give or take the ides of march of your occasional Nero or Caligula you get a decent 300 year stretch for old rome as an empire before it starts suffering repeated invasions (from various varieties of goth, emo and hun), Rome then splinters into two separate empires, gets religion (as a mechanism to maintain power over the masses) becoming 'Holy' and pretty much winds down into the middle ages like a marathon runner hitting the wall 

so basically the longest and most innovative stretch for good old Rome was actually when it was ruled over by a representative form of government with annual transfer of power - you can look it up
12/14/2013 12:15 PM (edited)
I know...lol. Did you know New Hampshire was a republic? At least at the township level, the smaller towns still operate on a hand count of the land owners only. (vested) Ya the supreme court yells at us periodically and say's we can't do it that way...to which we say 'bet me'. Seems they think non-land owners should have a say too. NH has no income tax or sales tax, the folks in NH know something that boy's DC need to learn. Also the most popular indoor sport in NH is politics. Most believe those guys in Boston started the fight, google 'mast tree riot' and check the date. Guess where I hold land....and keep my guns.
12/14/2013 1:38 PM
just wondering never really payed ttention in civics class. what is the difference between a republic and a democracy?
12/14/2013 1:48 PM
btw - wiki boy, I use to be able to lie like a cheap rug and get away with it. Did know wiki was a bunch a commies.... 
12/14/2013 1:53 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
ODL Discussion & Vote - Rule X (div draft) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.