CVAC-Heartland Challenge season 67 Topic

Thats a good idea...as long as we can remember to schedule it a month down the road i like it.

If any of the other teams want to schedule a second game as a backup plan im fine with that too. Worse case scenario we have a good non con game against a team in a top conference
7/29/2013 10:47 PM
That sounds good to me too. I'll put a note on my calendar to schedule Pfeiffer in the 2nd exhibition game next year.

Thanks guys

7/30/2013 1:07 AM
Bump
Pfeiffer - Mont summary to come. Sorry I missed it.
9/21/2013 7:34 AM
Pfeiffer at Montevallo:

This one appeared to be a mismatch on paper, with Pfeiffer and bow2dacowz boasting one of the strongest teams in D-II Iba, while 2nd year coach aperi begins the 2nd year of a rebuild off a 2-25 season. But that's why we play the gam-....wait......scratch that.....Pfeiffer is who we thought they were. (go to YouTube for the Denny Green rant)

Pfeiffer 86, Montevallo 60: not close, never close, Pfeiffer is pretty awesome. Pfeiffer shot 60% from the floor and 50% from deep. Reigning CVAC defensive player of the year has Bobby Perron found an offensive game, leading Pfeiffer with 16 points. Sr PG Michael Gibbens bombed away for the Mont with a game-high 22.
9/23/2013 4:12 PM (edited)
I'm not sure the Heartland shouldnt be waving a white flag for this year's challenge, with the CVAC holding 5 of the top 6 spots in the top 25.

Rockhurst (3-1) at Anderson (4-0): Rockhurst travels to Anderson, SC to face bscollier's team with the perfect record. Rockhurst has four double digit scorers, led by Sr PF Carl Kee's 17 ppg. Rockhurst has held opponents to 37% shooting. Anderson has a balanced attack, led by Jr PG Alex McDonald and his 12 ppg. Anderson is out scoring opponents by over 17 ppg. Oddsmakers like it even.

St Andews (1-3) at Lincoln (1-3): yaklyn68 takes his team on the road to the Missouri state capital to battle CVAC ex-pat detfirecat. John Jenkins and Roderick Beatty provide the points for St Andrews with a combined 23.5 ppg. Lincoln gets buckets from the trio of John Schreiner, Cameron Cormier, and Justin Waites all in double-digits. Oddsmakers like Lincoln by 3.
Posted by davefilby on 9/21/2013 10:39:00 AM (view original):
I'm not sure the Heartland shouldnt be waving a white flag for this year's challenge, with the CVAC holding 5 of the top 6 spots in the top 25.

Rockhurst (3-1) at Anderson (4-0): Rockhurst travels to Anderson, SC to face bscollier's team with the perfect record. Rockhurst has four double digit scorers, led by Sr PF Carl Kee's 17 ppg. Rockhurst has held opponents to 37% shooting. Anderson has a balanced attack, led by Jr PG Alex McDonald and his 12 ppg. Anderson is out scoring opponents by over 17 ppg. Oddsmakers like it even.

St Andews (1-3) at Lincoln (1-3): yaklyn68 takes his team on the road to the Missouri state capital to battle CVAC ex-pat detfirecat. John Jenkins and Roderick Beatty provide the points for St Andrews with a combined 23.5 ppg. Lincoln gets buckets from the trio of John Schreiner, Cameron Cormier, and Justin Waites all in double-digits. Oddsmakers like Lincoln by 3.
Anderson 92, Rockhurst 68: Rockhurst jumped to an early 10-2 lead but tired and couldn't maintain the effort. Anderson quickly took control and led by 17 at the break. The second half was more of the same with Anderson in control the whole way. Carl Kee of Rockhurst led all scorers with 19 points, but on 7 of 22 shooting. The Rock was chucking rocks, shooting 37% as a team. 6 different players reached double figures for Anderson.

Lincoln 86, St Andews 70: After a competitive first half, Lincoln pulled away to win by 16. Foul trouble got the best of St Andrews' backcourt, with 12 turnovers coming from their backup guards. 4 players scored in double digits for Lincoln, led by William Matteo's 14 points. C Dale Wilson led all scorers with 22 for St Andrews.

CVAC 2, Heartland 1
Mount Olive (3-3) at Oklahoma Panhandle State (5-1):  Sim AI takes Mount Olive to battle khook19 and Oklahoma Panhandle State.  Mr. AI spreads out the scoring as mathematically fair as possible, with no Mount Olive player in double figures.  Despite being statistically dominated in most categories, Simmy has a .500 record, although he's beat himself twice (yes, I know how that sounds).  Khook is a 3-pointer away from being undefeated, with impressive victories over Goldey-Beacom & Cal Poly Pomona.  They also spread it out, led by Sr SG Rudy Wild 10 ppg.  Oddsmakers like the Okies by 20.

#1 Queens (NC) (6-0) at #2 St Edwards (6-0):  Rare is a regular season meeting between #1 & #2, much less in a tournament like the Challenge.  Glad I don't have to gameplan against #1 Queens (oh wait, I did last night) because their scoring is versatile and well distributed.  Jr PG Howard Milsaps gets 19.3 ppg, Sr C Gregory Willis 16.5ppg, and Sr SF Russell Rappaport 12.7 ppg.  All 3 (center included) shoot better than 42% from 3.  As a team they shoot nearly 51% from the floor. Above average athleticsm and defense make it tough on their opponents.  St Edwards possesses three effecive scorers of their own with Elbert Barajas & James Payne provideing the outside punch (28.4 ppg combined) and David Ward (13.5 ppg) chewing up people inside at a 57% clip.  St Edwards has been beating people like they stole something, outscoring opponents by over 21 ppg.  Opponents have shot 37% from the floor against St Eds. 

Muskies85 & funngun10, you both have excellent teams.  St Eds is the one-point favorite because of home floor.  Who do you like tonight?
9/23/2013 4:35 PM
Dave-Funnfun got me last year in the tournament by 1 on his way to the national title game. I would love to get some revenge here but I think that the homecourt will be the difference and I expect him to beat me by a few points. Either way what a great matchup to represent the challenge with the 2 top teams in the country going head to head!!  
9/23/2013 10:10 PM
Posted by davefilby on 9/23/2013 4:35:00 PM (view original):
Mount Olive (3-3) at Oklahoma Panhandle State (5-1):  Sim AI takes Mount Olive to battle khook19 and Oklahoma Panhandle State.  Mr. AI spreads out the scoring as mathematically fair as possible, with no Mount Olive player in double figures.  Despite being statistically dominated in most categories, Simmy has a .500 record, although he's beat himself twice (yes, I know how that sounds).  Khook is a 3-pointer away from being undefeated, with impressive victories over Goldey-Beacom & Cal Poly Pomona.  They also spread it out, led by Sr SG Rudy Wild 10 ppg.  Oddsmakers like the Okies by 20.

#1 Queens (NC) (6-0) at #2 St Edwards (6-0):  Rare is a regular season meeting between #1 & #2, much less in a tournament like the Challenge.  Glad I don't have to gameplan against #1 Queens (oh wait, I did last night) because their scoring is versatile and well distributed.  Jr PG Howard Milsaps gets 19.3 ppg, Sr C Gregory Willis 16.5ppg, and Sr SF Russell Rappaport 12.7 ppg.  All 3 (center included) shoot better than 42% from 3.  As a team they shoot nearly 51% from the floor. Above average athleticsm and defense make it tough on their opponents.  St Edwards possesses three effecive scorers of their own with Elbert Barajas & James Payne provideing the outside punch (28.4 ppg combined) and David Ward (13.5 ppg) chewing up people inside at a 57% clip.  St Edwards has been beating people like they stole something, outscoring opponents by over 21 ppg.  Opponents have shot 37% from the floor against St Eds. 

Muskies85 & funngun10, you both have excellent teams.  St Eds is the one-point favorite because of home floor.  Who do you like tonight?

Oklahoma Panhandle State 66, Mount Olive 47:  OkPan came out and played stifling defense from the opening tip, holding Mount Olive to 17 points and 29% shooting in the first half.  OKPan coasted, getting substantial time for their bench, including leading scorer Jonathan Howell's 13 points.  Identifying Mount Olive's leading scorer is like debating who is the tallest midget.  W****** B***** led the way with 3 made baskets, but the names have been redacted to protect the innocent.

St Edwards 78, Queens (NC) 68:  This one was a tale of two halves.  Queens was not intimidated by the hostile crowd and jumped all over St Eds early, scoring the first 11 points of the game.  Funngan pulled the starters in two separate groups, gave them a butt-chewing, things changed from there.  St Eds regained their composure and rapidly closed the gap to a two or three possession game during the first half, with Queens still up by 6 at the break, sparked by Gregory Willis' 15 first half points.  St Eds rode some clutch three-point shooting by Elbert Barajas, good work on the offensive glass by David Ward, and James Payne's free-throw shooting to 45 second half points.  Queens starting PG John Daniels fouled out with almost 6 minutes left on a controversial offensive foul call. 

Heartland 3, CVAC 2

9/24/2013 9:15 AM
N Alabama (5-3) at Erskine (4-4):  Ragizzy takes the troops to Due West, SC to face tarvolon and Erskine.  N Alabama leans on three talented scorers:  Sr centers Jesse Crowley (18.9 ppg) and Brock Zahniser (17.5 ppg), and Spoh PG Kyle Derossett (11.5 ppg).  Erskine starts five freshmen, but three seniors come off the bench to provide punch:  SG Marcos Torres (18.0 ppg), SG Joe Jackson (14.8 ppg), and C Gregory Rhymer (13.9 ppg).  Oddsmakers like N Alabama by 3 in what should be a competitive matchup.

Barton (3-5) at Incarnate Word (5-3):  kbates1948 looks to win 3 in a row after a rough start to the season against Incarnate Word in San Antonio.  Sr PF Terry Innocent gets 15.3 ppg.  Incarnate Word has 9 underclassmen on the roster, and so leans on Sr SG Richard Goodman (17.1 ppg) and Sr PG Johnny Morris (11.8 ppg) to provide points.  Vegas like the home team by 4, but clearly doesn't understand IW's historical performance in the Challenge.

Should be two good ones tonight.
9/25/2013 6:31 PM
Posted by davefilby on 9/25/2013 6:31:00 PM (view original):
N Alabama (5-3) at Erskine (4-4):  Ragizzy takes the troops to Due West, SC to face tarvolon and Erskine.  N Alabama leans on three talented scorers:  Sr centers Jesse Crowley (18.9 ppg) and Brock Zahniser (17.5 ppg), and Spoh PG Kyle Derossett (11.5 ppg).  Erskine starts five freshmen, but three seniors come off the bench to provide punch:  SG Marcos Torres (18.0 ppg), SG Joe Jackson (14.8 ppg), and C Gregory Rhymer (13.9 ppg).  Oddsmakers like N Alabama by 3 in what should be a competitive matchup.

Barton (3-5) at Incarnate Word (5-3):  kbates1948 looks to win 3 in a row after a rough start to the season against Incarnate Word in San Antonio.  Sr PF Terry Innocent gets 15.3 ppg.  Incarnate Word has 9 underclassmen on the roster, and so leans on Sr SG Richard Goodman (17.1 ppg) and Sr PG Johnny Morris (11.8 ppg) to provide points.  Vegas like the home team by 4, but clearly doesn't understand IW's historical performance in the Challenge.

Should be two good ones tonight.
Erskine 62, N Alabama 60: This one lived up to the billing as the teams were evenly matched, with Erskine putting together a second half spurt to get the win. The first half was back and forth the whole way, with Erskine grinding out a 1 point lead at the break. On the second half, Marcos Torres hit a 3 at the 4 minute mark to push Erskine's lead to 5. They pushed the lead to 6 and lead by that amount with 0:14 remaining, and held off a charge by N Alabama. The big 3 for N Alabama provided 40 of the team's 60 points. Rhymer and Torres combined for 33 for young Erskine.

Incarnate Word 76, Barton 62: Barton's star PF Terry Innocent was guilty of two quick fouls in the first half, rendering him ineffective during the opening stanza. With Innocent held to a bucket, Incarnate Word built an 11 point lead at the break. After a surge to cut the lead to 6, Barton ran out of gas and IW stretched the lead to 19 during the second half. IW was hardly efficient offensively, but did make 22 of 26 free throws. Richard Goodman had 20 points for IW. Innocent's 13 second half points weren't enough to close the gap for Barton.

Heartland 4,CVAC 3

4 of the top ten involved in tonight's deciding action. Previews later.
9/26/2013 10:47 AM (edited)
Longwood 58, Valdosta St 53:  In a minor upset, Longwood jumped out to a lead and held off a Valdosta comeback.  The game was nip-and-tuck before Valdosta went cold when it mattered most, managing two points in the final 3:58 of play.  Or went colder might be more appropriate, as Longwood held them to under 39% shooting.  Longwood does seem to specialize in making it ugly. 

Belmont Abbey 78, St Marys (TX) 73:  The upset theme continued, as foul trouble for St Mary's star Johnny Barrows limited him to 11 minutes.  Without Barrows, Mark Muphy's 20 & 13 was in vain and PG Harry Houdini couldn't pull a rabbit out of his hat for mduncanhogs.  Belmont Abbey's victory is even more impressive when you condier their 48% shooting (12-of-25) from the free throw line. 

Lees-McRae 62, W Alabama 54:  Lees-McRae led most of the 2nd half in this one and got balanced scoring out of its starters.  W Alabama's front court did most of the damage for the home team, but the difference was in three-point shooting.  Lees-McRae shot 50% from deep, going 5-of-10. 

Drury 82, Limestone 72:  Drury knocked off #1 Limestone, but it was too little, too late for the Heartland.  Drury did it from distance, stroking in 9-of-20 three-pointers.  Limestone kncoked down 9 of their own.  The difference was at the free-throw line, with Drury making 10 more than Limestone.  I thought you were supposed to get the calls on your home floor.  Three Limestone players fouled out of the contest.

Overcoming a one-game deficit, CVAC 6, Heartland 5.  Congrats to the CVAC!
9/27/2013 5:32 PM
Good Job CVAC. The Heartland just can't seem to get over the hump in this challenge.
9/27/2013 8:44 PM
◂ Prev 12
CVAC-Heartland Challenge season 67 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.