Iba Season 78 Topic

Lets get this show on the road!

Is the CVAC making a slight comeback (from our woeful 8th place conference RPI last season?) We're back up to 9 human coaches, and 5 teams are in the pre-season rankings. Lets hope we can sustain this. 

So, folks, who are your top contenders this season?

3/21/2015 12:24 PM
Parkside wins the preseason number one bulls eye but we won't keep it for long.  A fairly light non-conference schedule should have us dropping the top spot after the first game (and probably not regaining it for the remainder of this season).  Recruiting was a disaster leaving us somewhat short-handed although the players we have returning all range from solid to really good.  Depth and stamina will be our biggest issues.  If we can avoid foul trouble for the most part, Parkside should be okay.

I think a repeat this season of the title run from last season is very unlikely, just as it was unlikely last year that it actually happened.  A return to the Final Four wouldn't be out of the question, but due to our light non-conference schedule and having a conference half full of Sims, we'd probably be making that run as a 4/5/6 type seed.  Would take a great deal of good fortune to see Parkside playing in the Final Four, though again, given the talent on the roster it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

My prediction?  They (we) bow out (as a 5 seed) in the Sweet Sixteen after a nip and tuck battle with that region's top seed.

In the GLV, watch out for U Missouri, St. Louis (UMSL).  They are ranked number 4 in the preseason polls and have a very talented and hungry coach in Cardinalsi08.  They are primed for a deep run after a couple of self-proclaimed "disappointing" seasons.

Mercyhurst and Mslongaker are always solid and a tough out in the NT, they are the 25th ranked team in the polls.

And then there is Bellarmine with legendary coach Greenhawks, which is really all that needs to be said about that team.  Bellarmine is currently outside the top 25, but any team coached by Greenie is a threat.  Take them lightly at your own peril!!

N. Kentucky, coached by Kb22, brought in a very nice freshman class and should be a player on the national scene in a couple of years.  They may be too young this season to really pose a threat, but with the group of six that they signed this recruiting cycle, they will be very good in the very near future.

3/22/2015 11:40 PM (edited)
Louie Miller and the miracles are good for a 2nd round exit
3/22/2015 2:48 AM
#3 Incarnate Word gets a shot at #1 Longwood tonight. Good luck bunch!
3/22/2015 10:12 AM
Good game dave - pretty even matchup we had there
3/23/2015 1:15 PM
N. Alabama (the only team that beat us so far) are kind of scary with the talent in their starting lineup. And Parkside looks pretty badass. I think we compete to make a deep run as well
3/28/2015 1:03 PM
Heartland and CVAC neck and neck for Conf RPI - just like the good old days  ;)
3/31/2015 6:28 PM
There's currently a Sim projected for a #1 seed. Don't recall seeing that for a while.
4/6/2015 7:52 AM
any other comments on the season? Is Iba DII really this dead as far as interest?
4/7/2015 5:39 PM
I'll take a crack at it and hopefully start something. Smack talk welcome.

Top 10 Analysis
#1 Longwood: OK call me a believer bbunch. The only loss was to uber-athletic N Alabama, who can beat anybody if they get some points. A four point win over #2 Incarnate Word and a three point road win at Armstrong Atlantic are the closest calls. Opponents better get your perimeter defense tightened up because Longwood drains three-balls at a 45% clip against the #7 SOS. Redshirting SR Brian Hamilton last season looks like a genius move now. I want another shot at you bbunch.

#2 Incarnate Word: A pair of road losses, four points at #1 Longwood and six points at #3 Valdosta St, are the blemishes on the record. We aren’t exactly blowing people out with 3 close wins (OT at Adams St, OT at W Florida, and two points versus Ohio Valley). The seniors are good and I don’t think you’ve seen our best yet. RS FR Harry Curl has improved 50 points already this season with a 60 WE, despite no starts and less than 17 minutes a game.

#3 Valdosta St: The lone loss is to long-time rival oldave at Johnson C Smith. Kelby likes to clamp down with the press and grind out offense. Like #2 IW, there have been close calls. They calmly sank two FTs with 0:04 remaining against Dominican for a one point win. A three-pointer with 0:03 left against St Edwards provided the final margin. I think they’ve overachieved so far (yes, I’m bitter). But the scary thing is this: they have ZERO seniors
#4 CSU, San Bernadino: I believe in this one-loss team (five points at CSU, Chico) like I believe in a unicorn-riding Easter Bunny. 3 OT wins, a one point win, and a couple of two point wins against the #35 SOS. Simmy is doing a nice job with the 6 seniors and 3 juniors on this roster, but someone in the Cal CAA PLEASE take care of business against these guys.

#5 Merrimack: This team is going to be a tough one to figure at NT time. The two losses are by a total of 4 points to two top notch programs in Seattle and N Alabama. They’ve won their other 5 games against top 30 RPI teams. Two regular season games against Le Moyne are all that remain against NT-quality teams. Where will catdog’s squad be seeded? They are a #1 seed right now, but will the remaining schedule work against them and drag them lower? I think someone from the GLV passes them and grabs it like…..

#6 Wisconsin, Parkside: A loss to talented Missouri, St Louis is all that separates emy from an undefeated mark. There have been a pair of close road wins (at Wayne St (NE) and Mercyhurst) but they’ve been fairly dominant against the rest of their competition. Don’t be fooled by the two walk-ons, this team defends and rebounds as well as anybody. The SOS may work against them, but I’m saying the winner of the GLV tournament grabs a #1 seed.

#7 Erskine: Three OT games to start the year, resulted in a 1-2 record. But these losses to Merrimack and Dominican (plus a 3 point loss to Coker) are nothing to be embarrassed about. A road test/opportunity at Longwood looms. Starts one senior. Will be underseeded at NT time, but the volatile press style could result in an unlikely loss.

#8 W Virginia Wesleyan: Has only played 3 top 64 RPI teams on the season, going 2-1 against them. Those wins were a 10 point win versus Virginia Union and an 18 point victory at Concord. The loss was a 7 point game to start the season at Le Moyne. Will be favorites in every game they play the rest of the way and will have a gaudy record entering the NT. Not sure how I feel about scamdog’s team. I think a high-quality team will give them fits.

#9 St Mary’s (TX): Season-to-date, I think this is one of mduncanhogs better coaching jobs. The two losses are an 11 point loss to crosstown rival #2 Incarnate Word and an OT loss to dangerous N Alabama. The non-con was a little softer than usual, but wins are hard to come by in the Heartland so I understand. If MDH can sustain success through the rest of the conference schedule (7 games vs top 64 RPIs remaining) then you should fear them. There are only 5 upperclassmen on this team. JUCO soph Steve Emerson has improved 48 points in 14 minutes per game and I should have battled you harder for him.

#10 Bellarmine: I could stop this paragraph after typing “greenhawks” if I wanted. But how did you lose to a Sim by 11 to start the year?!?! An 11 point loss at #1 Longwood and 11 at home to #2 IW are the other losses. Regular season tilts against Missouri, St Louis and Wisconsin Parkside, plus the GLV tourney offer opportunities for Bellarmine to improve their NT status.
4/8/2015 3:31 PM
Starting my first year with St. Cloud State in the North Central Conference. My first two recruiting classes will take up 9 roster spots. Looking forward to it!
4/8/2015 6:22 PM
Bbunch name dropped me earlier and started a 6 game losing streak. Dave may have just destroyed my whole school with 3 mentions

4/9/2015 1:01 AM
damn pinkeye - that was a grueling 6 game losing streak - 6 very close losses in a row verses all vs. 6 teams that can make deep NT runs. Craziness. 
4/9/2015 5:50 PM
That Sim that I  (Bellarmine) lost to is quite good.  Augustana is  16-2, including 9-1 vs. human coaches. They have 5 seniors and 4 juniors that were human-recruited as well.
4/11/2015 5:02 PM
My Final Four picks:

Longwood
Erskine
LeMoyne
Parkside
4/12/2015 6:00 AM
123 Next ▸
Iba Season 78 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.