IBA D2 Season 84 Topic

Coming off a season where the final was 2 Heartland teams. The highest preseason ranked team from the Heartland is Valdosta State coached by former coach alazar. Whatever happened to kelby btw? Valdosta State was a ghost team for 2 seasons.

Gonna be weird not seeing @greenhawks on sidelines at Bellarmine. He had a 53 season run.

The Yarnell Invitational is gonna be good this season with 3 of the top 4 in the preseason poll and that Bellarmine with their new coach. Also got Heartland power and national runnerup St Mary's and my rival and perennial power Longwood.

Here's to a good season!

hackerhog

1/15/2016 11:31 AM
Pfieffer and Erksine should dominate the CVAC this season - all of the other squads are either very young, or have new coaches rebuilding the team. 
1/17/2016 2:27 PM
Will anyone beat Lander this season? They had a couple of close calls against Wisconsin Parkside & St Mary's (TX), N Florida has a couple of regular season shots at it, but getbedarded has a ridiculous team this season.

Speaking of N Florida, can the Peach Belt finish with two #1 NT seeds?

Dominican lost the head-to-head with Lander but looks nearly as tough.

CSU Los Angeles has 12 Jrs & sophs. Looks like they could go undefeated THIS season (at least until post-season), forget about next season.

The Heartland has 11 teams in the top 64 on the projection report, but not everyone will finish with enough wins. How many make the NT?

Trying to liven up this board. How's YOUR season going?

2/2/2016 3:46 PM
We've been pretty fortunate to escape with some wins. Dominican and Parkside will be major players in the NT. We won't go undefeated. I just hope we lose before the NT ;)

*If* we can get by long time rival Armstrong Atlantic, we travel to NFla tomorrow night to take on the Ospreys. Should be a hell of a game, they are built pretty similar to us! 
2/5/2016 1:04 AM
Won by 40 and dropped out of rankings.
2/6/2016 11:24 AM
Pfieffer is doing well in the CVAC. It seems like the CVAC could get 7 in the NT, but all of those teams are young and "pretty good", and only Pfieffer has shown the potential to be great this season. 

Lander seemed to get a huge away win at N. Florida last night - they look mostly unstoppable. AASU got a great upset of them 2 games ago, but Lander is still the cream of the crop in DII IMO

Not a whole lot of huge games on the docket today between ranked teams. The only one is #5 Bowie St. vs #24 Johnson C. Smith, with 2 very good coaches, and 2 squads with only 3 losses between them. 

Sorry, I know I used to contribute a lot to this thread, but school has been a challenge this year. I can pull off 15-20  minutes of gameplanning time a day for my 5 teams, but that's about it. 

2/6/2016 12:04 PM
There was once a CVAC - Heartland challenge, and it was grand. While the CVAC is still trying to return to their former glory, the Heartland is very strong in DII Iba. 

I'm going to call "Major conferences" conferences with 6 or more humans with top 10 conference RPIs. 

Major Conferences

Heartland
It's an interesting season in the Heartland, where 11 schools are really good, but nobody is great. San Anto historical powers IW and St. Mary's aren't running things like they used to, though they are still in the hunt. #10 Valdosta St. might somehow have the best squad in the conference especially due to their two starting bigs. Amazing turnaround from a ridiculous 54 game losing streak the last 2 seasons. Watch out for St. Mary's - they have the #2 SOS as the Yarnell invitational kind of beat them up, so they are much better than their 11-8 record. #15 Montevallo looks really good too - with one of the best DII small forwards in Fretwell. 

Peach Belt

Lander is better than everyone else. Lander and N. Florida (and maybe AASU or Kennesaw) could ensure 2 potential final four teams from the Peach. While the Heartland is the conference with easily the most competitive depth, the Peach has probably the best top-end talent. 

Great Lakes Valley
#9 Wisconsin Parkside
steamrolled through conference after a killer OOC schedule that featured taking Lander to OT and losing to Kennsaw by 1. Needless to say, that's a scary team. They're as absurdly athletic as every other Parkside squad. I remember recruiting Yazzie with Longwood, he's doing well as a WP starter. #14 Bellarmine might not have the greenhawks magic, but they seem to have a fine coach leading them on another deep run. #20 S. Indiana looked stronger in Non-conference than in conference, but they are no joke as well. Mercyhurst has an ugly overall record, but they've played a ton of good teams, and could make a lot of postseason noise. 

CVAC

#6 Pfieffer is very very good. Zorzii has built a strong team first built by detfirecat (now at Mount Olive) that has a great 1-2 perimeter/post combo in the starting lineup in Hugh and Mayer. Nobody else is ranked, but there are 7 teams that could make the NT, and everyone else is pretty good as well. There's going to be a lot of 7 to 14 NT seeds coming out of the young CVAC that others won't want to play.  The other three schools making the most noise are Anderson, Erksine, and Longwood. Perennial doormat Anderson has made an amazing turnaround, but their schedule has been sort of weak Erksine has the best SF in DII most likely. Longwood might have one of the best starting frontcourts in DII, but very limited depth due to youth. 

WVIAC

boclaird is a fixture at #7 Concord, being DII Iba's premier Fastbreak/press squad for a long time now. This might be one of his best teams, scoring a whopping 96 PPG with a strong 24 SOS. They could make a very deep NT run with that depth. Glenville St. is maybe playing above their talent level right now, but they are 9-0 in conference, so they can't be ignored. Ohio Valley has 2 solid starting guards and they should be in the NT.  

Northern Sun
When the hell did coaches move to the northern sun? New Mexico Highlands is one of the most fun teams in DII, scoring a ton of points with a ton of depth. They came out of nowhere to win the NT a few seasons back, and are probably 1 season away from a similar run. Jtreeves has been at Wayne St. since the beginning of time,it seems. They are talented as always, and can win a few games in the NT, but most likely won't make a super deep run. Nebraska Kearney doesn't suck anymore, which is cool. 

Best of the rest

Bvb and  #2  Dominican are quite possibly Lander's biggest challengers. I don't know how they convinced Waggoner and Bookout to go the DII route - they could start for a lot of d1 squads. They played an insane OOC schedule and went 9-1, with their only loss to.....you guessed it......Lander. 

#3 CSU Los Angeles
is scary that they're this good with no seniors. They should be dominiating DII next season along with New Mexico Highlands. They're still in line for a 1 or 2 seed in the NT. They play stifling defense, and they can run as well. 

Count #5 Bowie St. on the list of teams that "only lost to Lander". Their schedule in OOC play was decent enough, and it's nice to see Bowie St. back on the radar, and they've won 2 titles in the last 8 seasons, so an 18-1 Bowie St. team could really be tough. 

#8 UC Colorado Springs might have the best starting guard duo in the country.  It took them OT to beat a few middle-of-the-road squads, but they only have 2 losses, and they went 8-2 during a legit OOC schedule..

#11 Bentley just had their biggest win of the season over #19 Lemoyne. They're pretty good for a team that refuses to attempt three pointers. 

#12 St. Cloud St.
is 20-0. They have played nobody. They have one guard that is ridiculously good. This is a really hard team to assess, but they're 20-0, so they matter. 

#13 West Georgia has 5 seniors, and made the elite 8 last season. 4 of their 5 starters score in double figures, (the other guy just runs around and sets picks, i guess), so they have great balance and experience in their starting lineup. I like this team. Despite no impressive wins, they could be a squad that comes out of nowhere and ends up in the final 4. 

Super early final 4 picks - Lander, Dominican, N. Florida, Wisconsin Parkside
Elite 8 - Pfieffer, NM Highlands, West Georgia, Concord

Am I missing anyone? Any sleeper teams that didn't get a mention?

2/6/2016 12:57 PM
DII is loaded this season, I have 8 losses so far with a team that I'd usually have high hopes for, I agree Lander has to be the favorite but overall the NT is looking like it's going to be about as unpredictable as last year. The Heartland is a bloodbath with 11 teams beating up on each other, realistically I think we'll end up with 9 or 10 in unless IW can somehow get that 14th or 15th win to become eligible then we'd be looking at a possible 11 teams playing in the NT, never seen or heard of that happening.
2/9/2016 2:32 PM
Dominican the new #1 right now after Lander has faltered a tiny bit. There's about 8 or 9 awesome teams in DII that seperate themselves, should be an interesting tourney. 
2/12/2016 11:29 PM
This is my most frustrating season at Incarnate Word. We are 0-7 in games decided by 2 pts or less (including OT games). And we are 13-12, still needing one more win to qualify for the NT.

You know the sim hates you when your opponents shoot 74.4% from the free throw line against you, but 69.1% against everyone else. My opponents are collectively the 13th best free-throw shooting team in Iba D-II, but revert to average to below-average shooting against other foes. It's only 39 points over the course of the season, but it will really sting if I'm playing in the PT.

I feel like the odds of this are astronomical.
2/13/2016 11:54 AM
Nothing set in stone but it's looking like Heartland will be putting 10 in the NT and with none of us getting any love from bbunch!! Not a single one of them making an E8 appearence in his predictions, but can't say I'd disagree with how many really good teams there are this year, not going to be many "easy" tourney games.
2/14/2016 5:26 AM
We got our 14th win and are NT bound! I feel like we will be under seeded because of all our close losses. Sounds like you wouldn't mind running into bbunch duece!
2/14/2016 9:02 AM
This should be a really fun NT. Can never discount the Heartland. I feel like the upper echelon teams in D2 aren't separated by much from the second tier. Should be a lot of "upsets" this season.
2/14/2016 10:36 AM
Posted by duece_duece on 2/14/2016 5:26:00 AM (view original):
Nothing set in stone but it's looking like Heartland will be putting 10 in the NT and with none of us getting any love from bbunch!! Not a single one of them making an E8 appearence in his predictions, but can't say I'd disagree with how many really good teams there are this year, not going to be many "easy" tourney games.

Have to stand by my prediction :) Feel free to use it as motivation to prove me wrong! 

2/14/2016 11:48 AM
Posted by davefilby on 2/14/2016 9:02:00 AM (view original):
We got our 14th win and are NT bound! I feel like we will be under seeded because of all our close losses. Sounds like you wouldn't mind running into bbunch duece!
A lot of teams wouldn't mind running into us right now - we just lost 7 of our last 8, and will limp into the NT. 
2/14/2016 11:49 AM
123 Next ▸
IBA D2 Season 84 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.