recruit distribution data Topic

That reinforces the point Yatzr made earlier that once you build a winning team and get your vision elevated, you are better off in a densely recruit population than at a school like Huntington.
8/28/2010 10:43 PM
So there was no trends from season to season in terms of average GUESS rating?

In that D1 data, it variates about 10 points which seems like a lot.  I'm assuming there's no trends and it's just random?  One season a school has 78 and the next a 71?
8/29/2010 1:25 AM
Posted by tcochran on 8/29/2010 1:25:00 AM (view original):
So there was no trends from season to season in terms of average GUESS rating?

In that D1 data, it variates about 10 points which seems like a lot.  I'm assuming there's no trends and it's just random?  One season a school has 78 and the next a 71?
Yes, season to season it's random.  There's a lot of things that can skew it.  If a school doesn't have many recruits closest to it, that number will be all over the place due to the small sample size.  If a school has an unusual amount of P/K or even QB closest to it, that'll drop the average or if they have very few of those, their average would be higher.  So that number doesn't really mean much in the data I gave.  I thought it might when I first set this up, and I've just left it in ever since.
8/29/2010 9:17 PM
i made a series of maps, a few years back,  that shows recruit distribution pretty well.

i was working with limited data at the time.  i don't have the tools i need to pull data from the server.

if someone can provide me with data, i'll make some maps, if y'all are interested.
9/7/2010 10:52 AM
Posted by yatzr on 8/26/2010 2:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tianyi7886 on 8/26/2010 2:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by yatzr on 8/26/2010 2:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tianyi7886 on 8/26/2010 1:19:00 PM (view original):
Can you do a spreadsheet which will show how far each school are in relation to one another?
I can do that, but I don't think it'd be very useful.  The recruits aren't distributed evenly, so just knowing that your school is far away from others won't tell you if it's a good recruiting spot.  It also won't give you an indication of how far away your recruit is from another school.  The recruit might be 180 miles to your west and a school might be 180 miles to your east or they both might be 180 miles to your west.  I can still get that data for you though, it should be pretty easy.

I'm assuming (and I could certainly be wrong) that what you're looking for is an indicator as to how many schools you'll have to deal with when recruiting.  I provided that to some extent in the data.  For all the recruits that are within 180 miles of your school, I calculated how many other schools are within 180 miles of that recruit.  That is the #Schools180 column.  I did the same thing for 360 miles.  For every recruit within 360 miles of you, I calculated how many other schools are within 360 miles of that recruit.  That is the #Schools360 column.  It's kinda hard to visualize it without a map and lots of circles, but I think those values provide a pretty good indication of how many schools you have to battle for recruits.
Good point.

Btw, how do I copy this into my Excel. It's not formatting correctly and just pasting them into one column. I have tried chrome, IE, firefox, and pasting via ctrl v and paste special. 
I use open office.  I always have to paste it into notepad first and then copy/paste that into open office.  Then open office will ask me how I want to separate columns, so I tell it to separate by commas.  You can try that out.  If that doesn't work, let me know and I can try to format it all another way.
if you paste in excel, select row A, under the "data" tab there is an option for "text to columns"...deliminate by columns. ta da.
2/6/2011 1:18 AM
Thanks Hcaz...that worked perfectly

11/14/2011 11:28 AM
Can someone clarify for me what exactly this means, for some reason I am having a time translating it into my mind....

#180Closest - The avg number of schools within 180 miles of recruits from #Closest
#360Closest - The avg number of schools within 360 miles of recruits from #Closest

11/25/2011 7:41 PM
Posted by zerfo on 11/25/2011 7:41:00 PM (view original):
Can someone clarify for me what exactly this means, for some reason I am having a time translating it into my mind....

#180Closest - The avg number of schools within 180 miles of recruits from #Closest
#360Closest - The avg number of schools within 360 miles of recruits from #Closest

Every school has a number of recruits that are closer to them than to any other school.  That number is the #Closest column.  Then for those recruits, there will be a number of schools that are within 180 miles of them and a number of schools within 360 miles of them.  It's meant to give a glimpse into how much competition there will be for those recruits that are closest to you.  In practice, I'm not sure those numbers are very meaningful.
11/26/2011 2:16 PM
I've always thought this list defined the best recruiting territories. Anyone else have an opinion?
9/8/2013 3:06 PM
Is there an easy way to paste this data into excel without re-doing everything?  I use chrome and when I went to paste it just dropped it in as typed....     

11/11/2013 7:08 PM
In DIII and DII where distance matters the most, you can see coaches camped out at the schools with the highest number of recruits per competing school ratio.  You can also see that those schools have long histories of success with varying coaches.

Very interesting and useful data.

If you want to win, go to schools with lots of recruits and little competition.  If you want a challenge, try winning in a more challenging school.

11/12/2013 10:54 AM
Posted by headmaxroom on 11/12/2013 10:54:00 AM (view original):
In DIII and DII where distance matters the most, you can see coaches camped out at the schools with the highest number of recruits per competing school ratio.  You can also see that those schools have long histories of success with varying coaches.

Very interesting and useful data.

If you want to win, go to schools with lots of recruits and little competition.  If you want a challenge, try winning in a more challenging school.

In d3 you can forget national championships if you do NOT recruit Nationally.  So, I would tend to disagree with your assumption that distance matters most in D3 and d2.  In fact, In my experience distance matters most in d1.  See what happens to your bankroll if you get in to a couple recruiting battles greater then 360 miles.
11/12/2013 1:20 PM
Of course you need to recruit nationally in some positions but you cannot realistically fill all 50 of your roster spots with players that you recruit long distance when you have $3000 per recruit.

Battling has always diminished your cash at all levels and moreso when you have a distance disadvantage but, with smaller per recruit cash allotments, I would have a harder time overcoming that disadvantage at lower levels.

It's not a guarantee that you win championships at those schools or impossible to win at others but I would suggest that recruiting is not as difficult when you have more recruits close by with less schools to fight you for them.

As I said, it's interesting data.
11/12/2013 2:31 PM
The only thing that lets you recruit nationally at the D2/D3 level is vision. You have to get into the high-vision recruits that not only don't have any SIMs on them, but frequently don't even have any other human coaches looking at them. When you can fill half your class for the cost of a well-timed scout, it leaves you a decent travel budget. If you're down amongst the masses, though, fuggedaboudit.

11/12/2013 5:51 PM
I looked at this data and did some analysis before jumping into D1A blindly. Rutgers looked really good but was taken already.
11/12/2013 6:40 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
recruit distribution data Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.