DIII Recruiting Manifesto For Rookies Topic

vick12, thanks for this, just to clarify...CV- coach visit or campus visit?
10/14/2011 1:56 PM
Posted by tdfactory on 10/14/2011 1:56:00 PM (view original):
Campus Visit
10/14/2011 2:39 PM
Posted by mgm0461 on 10/14/2011 2:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tdfactory on 10/14/2011 1:56:00 PM (view original):
Campus Visit
Thanks, thats what I was thinking, just wanted to check....
10/14/2011 3:27 PM
BUMP.
11/26/2011 4:42 PM
sticky this.
11/26/2011 4:43 PM
I know this thread is about Recruiting and not player selection, but I feel this is part of the process. Since many of the old threads have been deleted that cover such things, I will include it here.

One thing not to forget about recruiting, especially at DIII, is that there are often "comparable" players within a decent distance, so you do not always have to fight over the best recruit. This reiterates the earlier plea to not fall in love with a recruit.

One important thing to remember is that since the last Update, ATHLETICISM is nearly a Core Value now for many positions. If you are searching for linemen with 50/50 core values, you must also look at ATH. A lineman with 46/46 Cores and 60 ATH is probably better than a 50/50 lineman with 40 ATH. Now I am sure you will have many people come on and give their personal opinions on which is better, and yes, you also have to take into consideration WE, potential, and everything else. But my point is that when you search for recruits using base values for particular attributes, you can always find guys that are just outside those values that are just as good or even better.

I am not saying that spreadsheets and value searches are not good. I know I use them a lot too. But be careful with limiting your searches to just those tools.
11/27/2011 2:08 PM
Bump for noobs
11/27/2011 9:44 PM
Quick question @ the D3 level:

Over the course of a season or even over 4-5 years in a program, what is the difference between two recruits with similar WE's but one is Average Potential and the other is Above Average Potential?

11/30/2011 1:18 PM
Assuming equal ratings on the other attributes, as well as equal playing time and starts....over the course of 4 years, probably an additional 1 point growth each season (10-20% more).  Playing time and starts really crank up the WE through their career, which can really accelerate growth for either player.  
11/30/2011 1:29 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Thanks for the clarification ermackey!
11/30/2011 2:42 PM
Posted by ermackey on 11/30/2011 2:30:00 PM (view original):
This is not a manifesto though.  A manifesto is a document of political principles and a declaration of intent and vision.  While the info is helpful, it is not a manifesto.
As usual...you are wrong...

"manifesto- a written statement declaring publicly the intentions, motives, or views of its issuer"

That's taken directly from Merriam-Webster.

Here's a link as well....http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/manifesto

In fact here is their example use of manifesto...

"The group's manifesto focused on helping the poor and stopping violence."

Replace "the poor and stopping violence" with "helping rookies recruit" and it's pretty much the same definition no?

But...you probably know more than the dictionary huh?

11/30/2011 4:27 PM
I read through the D3 draft manifesto which has been very helpful in getting started.  I have been targeting players within 360 miles and looking for the ones that are said to have good potential.  I have reached a point where I have a lot of players with green dots so I am branching out in my search to go after better players that are more expensive to recruit.  I have started seeing that the Asst. Coach says a player will be a "Great DIII player" but still has just average potential. In the manifesto I originally inferred that we were to look for the coaches reading of potential as the main indicater how good they will end up.

So my question is:

When the AC opens up the email including something like- "Overall, I'd say that 'player X' will be a great D3 level player."

Are we to assume that this player will be better than a player who is described as "Overall, I'd say that 'player Y' is a D3 level player. His skills just aren't good enough to land in a higher division."

Should I expect Player X to be the better player even if he is said to have average potential and player Y is said to have good potential?

12/1/2011 10:43 PM
Creaven

Glad you got use out of the manifesto...

The Div III player stuff is fluff. Basically all that means is the player is in the D III vision. If it said he's a DII player...it simply means the player shows up in that levels vision. So if you have better vision at DIII, you will see more of these DII type recruits.

As for the potential...here is the guide...

Potential Key

STL
1. Sky's the limit (in the AC scouting rreport)
2. Incredible upside potential (in the AC scouting rreport)
3. A truly gifted athlete (in the HC scouting report)

Great potential
1. Above average potential (in the HC scouting report)
2. He's got the potential to improve his game a lot over 4 years with us. (in the AC scouting report)
3. I'm sure that your guys took some good notes about my game, and recognized that I have an amazing upside to my game. (message from recruit)
4. Upside is my middle name (message from recruit) 
5. "improve a lot" (from AC scouting report)
6. "room to grow".
7. "With a little work, he could be a very good player" (from HC scouting report) 
8. "Good potential for improvement" (from the HC scouting report)
9. "He's not the most gifted athlete . . . but not bad at all." (from the HC scouting report).

Average potential:
1. Looks like he has a hard time making adjustments. (from the HC scouting report)
2. He's made good strides towards reaching his potential over the past couple years. (from the HC scouting report)
3. I think his growth potential is pretty average - nothing special. (from the AC scouting report)
4. My motor never stops running (message from recruit)
5. I give 110% out there (message from recruit)
6. I'm sure that your guys took some good notes about my game, and recognized that I've worked really hard and lived up to my potential. (message from recruit)  - This should actually be low potential.
7. "Some room for improvement, but not much." (from HC scouting report)
8. "Probably won't see huge improvements." (from HC scouting report)
9. "He seems slow to pick things up in practice." (from HC scouting report)

Low potential
1. "he's worked really hard in high school and has about reached his potential (from AC scouting report)
2. "tapped out" (from AC or HC scouting report, I forget which -- it's been a while since I've seen this message).

Hope that helps!!!
1/10/2012 7:57 PM (edited)
Posted by ermackey on 11/30/2011 2:30:00 PM (view original):
This is not a manifesto though.  A manifesto is a document of political principles and a declaration of intent and vision.  While the info is helpful, it is not a manifesto.
I have no problems with you personally, ermackey, but if you ever wonder why certain people do.....it's $hit like this! 

12/2/2011 9:57 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...8 Next ▸
DIII Recruiting Manifesto For Rookies Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.