Planned Update - Later this Year Topic

Posted by opiokent on 4/3/2012 3:20:00 AM (view original):
i hear many coaches talking about 'randomness' in their posts. and many coaches, inlcuding myself, wonder how a less talented team can win at all. one thing that would help me is to know who is in the game on each play. it seems to me that if a team has in several backups on any given play then they might be at a talent disadvantage. if a coach realizes that his team, on one play or a set of plays, is at a talent disadvantage, possibly due to bad luck, then the 'randomness' might not seem as random. just a thought, and maybe not even an original one.
You can click on the [O|X] icon in the play by play that will expand to show who was on the field and their fatigue status, but it's very cumbersome in trying to evaluate the match ups on the field.  Most of the upcoming update is going to focus on the engine.  Since PBP is generated from the engine, we will be working on improvements for that as well, but I still feel like we can do more beyond improved PBP to help with analysis.
4/3/2012 11:03 AM
Player rotation. There has to be a better way to do this. I have  players that are losing WE and are not growing like they should because they either do not get playing time or very little. These players are good players and will not grow enough to be the best that they can. My #2 QB and TE are good examples of this.
4/3/2012 11:58 AM
Posted by fermor332002 on 4/3/2012 11:58:00 AM (view original):
Player rotation. There has to be a better way to do this. I have  players that are losing WE and are not growing like they should because they either do not get playing time or very little. These players are good players and will not grow enough to be the best that they can. My #2 QB and TE are good examples of this.
With this update, you should have a little more control over getting backups in, as you will be able to set different depth charts and tie them to different formations.  It still will be a little up to how the game plays out and how plays get called, but will be easier than it is now.  I don't know if we will get it in or not for this update, but I would like to see some setting that if you are up or down by a certain amount, you can bring in second string.
4/3/2012 12:08 PM
Something I would like to see, and it has possibly been mentioned, is the ability to cancel an action as long as it has not taken place.  Remove a campus visit when you realize you sent it to the wrong recruit.  Basketball has the ability to 'withdraw' an action.
4/3/2012 1:14 PM
Posted by ozzzball19 on 4/3/2012 1:14:00 PM (view original):
Something I would like to see, and it has possibly been mentioned, is the ability to cancel an action as long as it has not taken place.  Remove a campus visit when you realize you sent it to the wrong recruit.  Basketball has the ability to 'withdraw' an action.
That will not be in the major update.  However, we plan on having a minor update before we start working on the major one and that is planned for that update.  I'll have more details soon on this interim update, but we are still hashing out a couple things.
4/3/2012 2:39 PM
Posted by norbert on 4/3/2012 12:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by fermor332002 on 4/3/2012 11:58:00 AM (view original):
With this update, you should have a little more control over getting backups in, as you will be able to set different depth charts and tie them to different formations.  It still will be a little up to how the game plays out and how plays get called, but will be easier than it is now.  I don't know if we will get it in or not for this update, but I would like to see some setting that if you are up or down by a certain amount, you can bring in second string.
YES! Thank you.  Errr. No tung.
4/3/2012 3:52 PM
Posted by norbert on 4/3/2012 2:39:00 PM (view original):
That will not be in the major update.  However, we plan on having a minor update before we start working on the major one and that is planned for that update.  I'll have more details soon on this interim update, but we are still hashing out a couple things.
You mean it wont be ready in time for my screw up today????  Just kidding.  Thanks norbert.
4/3/2012 4:38 PM
double that!
4/3/2012 6:09 PM
This is probably redundant, and I apologize for that, but I ask in lieu of reading 12-15 pages of posts.

When are the minor & major updates planned for release?
4/3/2012 10:28 PM
Posted by ibstrummin on 4/3/2012 10:28:00 PM (view original):
This is probably redundant, and I apologize for that, but I ask in lieu of reading 12-15 pages of posts.

It's not redundant as I haven't seen a date either, and we're getting pretty deep into the year......

4/4/2012 7:44 AM
Posted by norbert on 4/3/2012 2:39:00 PM (view original):
I think cross conference chatting should be in the minor update. Jus sayin....
4/4/2012 8:02 AM

The major update will take several months for development and testing, and then we want to have at least a few weeks for open beta testing (which might take a little time to set that up on the live site as we've never done that before), so for the major update it will probably not be until September, but optimistically in August.  As much as I'd like to get it out sooner, anytime you change the engine as much as we are talking about, it's a pretty significant change and we don't want to repeat the last major update.

The minor update should be in a few weeks.  I should have a post soon about what will be in the minor update.  We always have other issues come up while we are working on these updates, usually from other games and projects, so it's difficult to put an exact date on when they will be out until we actually have the code sitting here waiting to go out.
4/4/2012 10:49 AM
Posted by norbert on 4/4/2012 10:49:00 AM (view original):

The major update will take several months for development and testing, and then we want to have at least a few weeks for open beta testing (which might take a little time to set that up on the live site as we've never done that before), so for the major update it will probably not be until September, but optimistically in August.  As much as I'd like to get it out sooner, anytime you change the engine as much as we are talking about, it's a pretty significant change and we don't want to repeat the last major update.

The minor update should be in a few weeks.  I should have a post soon about what will be in the minor update.  We always have other issues come up while we are working on these updates, usually from other games and projects, so it's difficult to put an exact date on when they will be out until we actually have the code sitting here waiting to go out.
I'm not gonna lie, that is rather discouraging......August/September???  

I think I must've misunderstood when it was said you guys would begin working on it February, no later than March, as not just this thread and whatever you guys are doing in the Coach's Conference group, but as actual work.  Could very well be my bad.

4/4/2012 12:15 PM
Posted by bhouska on 4/4/2012 12:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by norbert on 4/4/2012 10:49:00 AM (view original):

I'm not gonna lie, that is rather discouraging......August/September???  

I think I must've misunderstood when it was said you guys would begin working on it February, no later than March, as not just this thread and whatever you guys are doing in the Coach's Conference group, but as actual work.  Could very well be my bad.

Yes. That is many moons from now. ;-)
4/4/2012 1:43 PM
Sorry to disappoint, but I've been trying to get as many updates that improve or fix the game as I can when I can, but this is too significant to just tweak and requires quite a bit of development and testing time.  Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it until June or something, then it wouldn't seem so long away.  We're really trying to fix a lot of the problems and frustrations that come up particularly with simulation of the games, so I know it's a lot to ask for patience on the update, but hopefully it makes the game better enough that it's worth the wait.
4/4/2012 1:58 PM
◂ Prev 1...21|22|23|24|25...31 Next ▸
Planned Update - Later this Year Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.