Update: 4/18/12 (UPDATED) Topic

Why not apply each update individually to each world, when it ends? I hope you are actually testing the updates unlike the previous dev.
4/16/2012 5:45 PM
This game went an eternity without ANY kind of updates, minor or major.  I'm not going to complain now that we actually have a developer caring for the game.  You just can't make some happy, not matter what.
4/16/2012 6:24 PM
Posted by jtizzle1 on 4/16/2012 6:24:00 PM (view original):
This game went an eternity without ANY kind of updates, minor or major.  I'm not going to complain now that we actually have a developer caring for the game.  You just can't make some happy, not matter what.

no complaints here -- already more updates in 6 months from this guy than in the previous 2 years with the last guy
4/16/2012 7:34 PM
Posted by norbert on 4/16/2012 10:27:00 AM (view original):
We have a minor update we have scheduled to push out this Wednesday, April 18th.  It will go out after the afternoon games and world processing.  This is just a few things I wanted to push out before starting on the engine update.

This is what's included:
- Rescind unprocessed recruiting actions.  You can now remove unprocessed recruiting actions and reclaim recruiting money from the recruit's History tab.
- Split Offense and Defense game plan settings.  There is now a duplicate section for setting game plans and one will be for offensive situations and the other for defensive situations, so you can adjust offense and defense separately.  Unfortunately, you still save the offense and defense in tandem in each playbook, but with a little practice it's not as confusing as it sounds.  It would take more time to actually split those out, which I will probably work on with the engine update.  But at least you can now adjust your defensive strategy while keeping your offense the same without having to jump through playbook copying hoops.
- Rest level percentages. It now shows the percentage values for fatigue/rest settings on Depth Chart page, so you know what fatigue level you are setting players for.
- Rush level percentages. Now shows Rush Level as percentage on Depth Chart page. See below for a better explanation.
- Reduction in pick 6 chance on interceptions.  This did not reduce the chance of interceptions and doesn't totally solve the problem, but this was easily adjustable and happened far too often.  We'll have to see if it still happens too much, but toned down the biggest offender (short pass interceptions).
- DIA NC Reward Point minimum.  The DIA National Champion will receive no less than 1650 Reward Points.

For Rush Levels: These are displayed as percentages, but are not true percentages in the sense that they have to add up to 100%.  They are really relative values of which player that is on the field will be most likely to get the carry on a rushing play.  The Rush Percentage does not affect which players will be on the field, as that is controlled by depth charts, rest levels, and the RB Split setting.  Once it decides which players are on the field and decided to run the ball, it randomly picks the ball carrier based on those players' Rush Levels.  A player set at 100% will have an equal chance to be the ball carrier as another player at 100%.  An 80% player will have an equal chance as another 80% player.  A 20% player will have 1/5th the chance to carry as a player at 100%, and so on.  You will notice that the RB slot is locked in at 100% and this is consistent with the current settings, but shown just so you can see the relative values for other players.  This is exactly the same settings and choices you had before, but it now displays a value so you can tell what the difference between "Level 4" and "Level 5" is, for example.
why can't you put a setting for bliz or zone ,man????
4/16/2012 7:35 PM
Herbie, this is just a minor update. I'm not sure what all will be included, but I believe there is a much larger update planned in the coming months.

I'm excited for the update! GD is definitely headed in the right direction!
4/16/2012 7:49 PM
Who do I write to ask about putting away of changing the Def ot Bliz and man cov, zone Def ????
4/16/2012 8:46 PM
Posted by herbiejr on 4/16/2012 8:46:00 PM (view original):
Who do I write to ask about putting away of changing the Def ot Bliz and man cov, zone Def ????
Well, you could post in the pinned Suggestions thread at the top of the main GD forums. This might be really hard to implement, though, so don't hold your breath.

Really excited to see what you are doing, Norbert! Perhaps you'll do another My Take when the update comes out??
4/16/2012 8:48 PM
Posted by flexmagnum on 4/16/2012 2:20:00 PM (view original):
Will this delay the games a day or will everything proceed as normal?
?
4/16/2012 9:00 PM
10 PM EST and nothing updated yet. I got my Final Four game at 2:30AM, is this going to screw me up????
4/16/2012 10:04 PM
Posted by peanutjets on 4/16/2012 10:04:00 PM (view original):
10 PM EST and nothing updated yet. I got my Final Four game at 2:30AM, is this going to screw me up????
"We have a minor update we have scheduled to push out this Wednesday, April 18th.  It will go out after the afternoon games and world processing."
4/16/2012 10:16 PM
Posted by norbert on 4/16/2012 10:27:00 AM (view original):
We have a minor update we have scheduled to push out this Wednesday, April 18th.  It will go out after the afternoon games and world processing.  This is just a few things I wanted to push out before starting on the engine update.

This is what's included:
- Rescind unprocessed recruiting actions.  You can now remove unprocessed recruiting actions and reclaim recruiting money from the recruit's History tab.
- Split Offense and Defense game plan settings.  There is now a duplicate section for setting game plans and one will be for offensive situations and the other for defensive situations, so you can adjust offense and defense separately.  Unfortunately, you still save the offense and defense in tandem in each playbook, but with a little practice it's not as confusing as it sounds.  It would take more time to actually split those out, which I will probably work on with the engine update.  But at least you can now adjust your defensive strategy while keeping your offense the same without having to jump through playbook copying hoops.
- Rest level percentages. It now shows the percentage values for fatigue/rest settings on Depth Chart page, so you know what fatigue level you are setting players for.
- Rush level percentages. Now shows Rush Level as percentage on Depth Chart page. See below for a better explanation.
- Reduction in pick 6 chance on interceptions.  This did not reduce the chance of interceptions and doesn't totally solve the problem, but this was easily adjustable and happened far too often.  We'll have to see if it still happens too much, but toned down the biggest offender (short pass interceptions).
- DIA NC Reward Point minimum.  The DIA National Champion will receive no less than 1650 Reward Points.

For Rush Levels: These are displayed as percentages, but are not true percentages in the sense that they have to add up to 100%.  They are really relative values of which player that is on the field will be most likely to get the carry on a rushing play.  The Rush Percentage does not affect which players will be on the field, as that is controlled by depth charts, rest levels, and the RB Split setting.  Once it decides which players are on the field and decided to run the ball, it randomly picks the ball carrier based on those players' Rush Levels.  A player set at 100% will have an equal chance to be the ball carrier as another player at 100%.  An 80% player will have an equal chance as another 80% player.  A 20% player will have 1/5th the chance to carry as a player at 100%, and so on.  You will notice that the RB slot is locked in at 100% and this is consistent with the current settings, but shown just so you can see the relative values for other players.  This is exactly the same settings and choices you had before, but it now displays a value so you can tell what the difference between "Level 4" and "Level 5" is, for example.
How is the rush level going to be set for the actual running backs? I see how to set it for every skill player except them. Can't find anywhere that talks about pick 6, so not sure how much of help tha will be. Don't currently see a problem with how to separate setting up offenses and defenses separately. Well at least an improvement is being made in recruiting. Keep up the good work.
4/16/2012 10:20 PM
Posted by saad1000 on 4/16/2012 10:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by peanutjets on 4/16/2012 10:04:00 PM (view original):
"We have a minor update we have scheduled to push out this Wednesday, April 18th.  It will go out after the afternoon games and world processing."
I wrote a long "**** you" reply to you then I realized that today is Monday. Thanks!
4/16/2012 10:43 PM
I wish you would have posted it.  Now that grindi is gone, I miss getting into pointless verbal melees.
4/16/2012 11:05 PM
I'll try to hit everything that was questioned, so sorry if I miss something.

The update is considered minor as it doesn't actually affect any of the game play other than the decrease in pick 6s, and that adjustment was easy because there is one check that determines if the player returns the ball all the way on an interception.  There were four different checks for this depending on where the ball was thrown, deep or short and in between.  The shortest two checks were pumped up way more than the medium and long checks.  After looking at some results, it was pretty easy to tell that the short pass pick 6 chances were a little too much, so I adjusted them closer to the medium and long pass checks and ran some tests on the results and pick 6s are down some.  There are still probably too many pick 6s and they still might seem more random than tied to ratings, but I wanted to get those adjusted before we go into update lock down while working on the engine update because when looking at a lot of "random upsets" there were many times that the random pick 6 seemed to do the damage.  This is mostly a band-aid to stop a little bleeding until I can fully adjust that logic with the engine update. But it is very, very minor and will not impact how you play the game.

The other real change is the split of the game plan settings.  These I've tested pretty considerably and even though it looks like a major change, it is actually pretty minor because of the way we load the playbooks.  Essentially now instead of just loading one set of game plan settings into the engine when simulating a game, we also load a set of defensive game plan settings.  Playbooks are loaded into the engine the same exact way, but determining which playbook you are using will check the offensive game plan settings or defensive game plan settings depending on which side of the ball you are on.  When the update is pushed out, both offense and defense game plans will be set to your current settings, so if you do nothing with them when the update goes out your game plans will act EXACTLY the same as they do now.

The other changes to the depth chart pages are not actually changing any values or settings, but just exposing the values that are being set under the hood with your selections.  So when you see "Fairly Fresh (85%)" rest level on the fatigue settings, it was already being set to 85% rest level.  You just didn't see what that value was, so this is to help with making better decisions with those settings.  Likewise, a Rush setting of "Level 4" was internally 60%, but you had no idea what relative rushing chance you had between Level 3 and Level 4.  So now you will know what the relative value is for rushing chances.  These were simply UI changes so there was relatively little testing needed.

The RB Depth Chart will have locked in values of 100% which will be displayed for reference against your other settings.  This is exactly how it works now, equating to a locked in "Often" setting, but it was never displayed on the Depth Chart.

I can't check every world to see where they fall on your schedule, but you should be able to tell.  It will be implemented after the second half of the 4/18 games.  Whatever game is after that will be the first game with the changes.  Again, if you change nothing, everything will behave exactly the same as it does now.

Since the only effect on the engine is really just a minor tweak and all the settings that changed behave the same as they did before, I'm okay with pushing this out and immediately taking effect.  For more extensive changes, especially the engine update, I will always try to stagger the implementation between seasons, like we did with the Formation IQ.  The most difficult part with that is when UI changes as it's more difficult to have different worlds using two different UIs than it is to control which version of the engine they use.  But for the engine change, I will definitely work on not springing that on anyone in the middle of the season as it will definitely affect how games play out.
4/17/2012 10:46 AM
Good.
4/17/2012 11:22 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...8 Next ▸
Update: 4/18/12 (UPDATED) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.