I thought I would give this a try. I have had a few questions come my way with site mail and I thought this would be a better area to try and answer a few questions about the game , game planning, recruiting what ever you like.I know that these types of threads helped me and I am hoping that I can perhaps some of the other vet coaches can provide some insight on how to field a good team and get the most out of your game.It has been a while since I played in any of the lower divisions but I will try and answer your questions or find someone who can.

Don't know if any of you new folks have any questions if you do lets see them.

5/30/2012 5:18 PM
how do you best fight off sims while recruiting?
especially D3 and D2.
 thanks i think something like this will help a lot.
5/30/2012 5:40 PM
Your best to jump on a sim real early and real hard. The longer you go the harder it is to knock them off. I never go after a sim after day 2 myself( on top talent on lower league talent I will drop down on day 3).I also look to see if another recuit is close in talent with in 1 point that I can land with out a fight.
5/30/2012 5:55 PM (edited)
If you have two players who are of the same value and scout the same from a expected performance improvement look at how far away the sims are from the talent that can give you a edge early on.
5/30/2012 5:49 PM
How long till I can compete with the big boys in DIII for recruits?  My vision and program status must improve, I know.  Is this going take 3 or 4 winning seasons? 
5/30/2012 6:14 PM
Vision improves with winning your key is avoiding locking heads with Nichols he has you on rating and coaching exp so you will lose most of the time when you go head to head. But your in a real good area to land talent so you should be able to see what his needs are and try and avoid the same players. He will be able to see players that you don't and recruit them. Knowing that when you see a good player or a couple scout the two a recruit only your best even if you need both at least early on then if no one jumps the 2nd player take a shot. Better to land 1 good solid player than to lose both. Greed kills look at how they scout out and be sure to have a solid practice plan in place. Don't try and run to many defenses or offenses choose no more than 4 tp 5 in total and practice them . Keep a strong eye on development and on the pct of the types of offense and defense you run. adjust your practice to match. Be sure to red shirt 3 players who have strong growth potential and know that it does take a few seasons to put your stamp on a team. Don't switch your formations once you commit and if you like a couple equally look at what the players were skilled at previously. A quick look at your team tells me that your over loaded on offense formations and one short on defense you need to have a base defense and a pass defense also your sim coached team was well balanced so you have a ton of options . I would look at my two conference rivals formations and pick mine to off set theirs. Good luck. ps Be sure to decide on your formations before you recuit the types and numbers of players and positions are real important. 
5/30/2012 7:31 PM (edited)
ok rman - I'd ask the champ himself but we might have a conflict of interest being so close to one another 
5/30/2012 7:23 PM
Posted by hcazualcc on 5/30/2012 7:23:00 PM (view original):
ok rman - I'd ask the champ himself but we might have a conflict of interest being so close to one another 
Ask away if it is a question that I feel uncomfortable with I will tell you or decline to answer. That understood trying to help folks get more out of the game and grow our numbers is what this is about. Truth of the matter is I want you to be better that helps me to get a higher ranking and land more bowl money.
5/30/2012 7:36 PM (edited)
Posted by rmancil on 5/30/2012 5:49:00 PM (view original):
If you have two players who are of the same value and scout the same from a expected performance improvement look at how far away the sims are from the talent that can give you a edge early on.
Sim distance from a recruit has no effect, unlike human recruiting. Their effort means the same regardless of if they are 1 mile away or 4,000 miles away.
5/30/2012 7:35 PM
Posted by zharkins on 5/30/2012 7:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rmancil on 5/30/2012 5:49:00 PM (view original):
Sim distance from a recruit has no effect, unlike human recruiting. Their effort means the same regardless of if they are 1 mile away or 4,000 miles away.
Looks like I learned something. I always thought other wise I also thought that in some cases it could give you a heads up on if the player wanted to stick close at home or travel. From what I have seen of late the sims do run out of money and have to take on some sim players which were not top recruits. Perhaps we could get some more feed back on that.  
5/30/2012 7:44 PM
let's say a recruit is yellow, you are one on one with another coach and you're winning based on his responses.  you are consistently getting cv's and lots of them.  recruit just won't turn green. 

of course, one cause could be the other coach matching your efforts.  but is there another potential cause?  e.g. - recruits have a timetable where they are 'sticky' to yellow no matter how far in front you are?  i ask because i'm curious if it's smart to take the pedal off the metal if you feel comfortable with your lead to save $$.

5/30/2012 7:49 PM
It seems to me that if two or more clubs are fighting for a player that your right that if you fail to turn him green early on he will stay yellow even with you in a good lead.
5/30/2012 7:52 PM
Thank you rmancil for giving this clinic a try . .When recruiting for LB's , what attributes do you look for that determines a good Inside linebacker and also for a good Outside linebacker . Same question for Defensive backs , with regards to Corner and Safeties . I currently practice for 3 Def. sets .4-3 , 4-4 , 5-2 . Hope to drop 4-4 for 3-4 in the future if I can get the depth I would need .
5/30/2012 9:42 PM
Posted by jc1796 on 5/30/2012 6:14:00 PM (view original):
How long till I can compete with the big boys in DIII for recruits?  My vision and program status must improve, I know.  Is this going take 3 or 4 winning seasons? 
Just to add a little to his answer.. i'm fairly new myself but i was told that vision looks at a 3 year span with your most recent season carrying the most weight, the season prior to that is about half the weight, and the season prior to that is half the weight of that...what have you done for me lately so to speak.. also, conf championships, playoffs, etc can have an affect on this as well..

5/30/2012 9:55 PM
Posted by gmc_sierra on 5/30/2012 9:42:00 PM (view original):
Thank you rmancil for giving this clinic a try . .When recruiting for LB's , what attributes do you look for that determines a good Inside linebacker and also for a good Outside linebacker . Same question for Defensive backs , with regards to Corner and Safeties . I currently practice for 3 Def. sets .4-3 , 4-4 , 5-2 . Hope to drop 4-4 for 3-4 in the future if I can get the depth I would need .
The style of LB you use has a lot to do with your defense. The 5-2( unless you use it inside your 10 yd) and nickle need fast LB with CB skills which is great GI and elusiveness LB always need to be athletic.ILB don't need as much speed but need more strength and tackling skills. Think of a OLB dropping into coverage in the nickle playing a zone and making a tackle vs a WR while the ILB is busy meeting the RB in the hole on most run plays.

The more LB you have on the field the less speed is a issue the fewer the greater need for speed. Remember the 5-2 is really a GL defense and as a result it can burn you giving up big plays when it is used outside your 20 yds line. 3-4 is the defense if you want to use a ton of LB and works real well against Pro set offenses.

DB need speed athletic skill safeties need to tackle better than CB who need better speed and agility as well as hands. Biggest play your defense can make is a TO/ INT or fumble recovery.GI is huge on defense.
5/30/2012 11:30 PM
123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.