Posted by rmancil on 5/30/2012 7:31:00 PM (view original):
Vision improves with winning your key is avoiding locking heads with Nichols he has you on rating and coaching exp so you will lose most of the time when you go head to head. But your in a real good area to land talent so you should be able to see what his needs are and try and avoid the same players. He will be able to see players that you don't and recruit them. Knowing that when you see a good player or a couple scout the two a recruit only your best even if you need both at least early on then if no one jumps the 2nd player take a shot. Better to land 1 good solid player than to lose both. Greed kills look at how they scout out and be sure to have a solid practice plan in place. Don't try and run to many defenses or offenses choose no more than 4 tp 5 in total and practice them . Keep a strong eye on development and on the pct of the types of offense and defense you run. adjust your practice to match. Be sure to red shirt 3 players who have strong growth potential and know that it does take a few seasons to put your stamp on a team. Don't switch your formations once you commit and if you like a couple equally look at what the players were skilled at previously. A quick look at your team tells me that your over loaded on offense formations and one short on defense you need to have a base defense and a pass defense also your sim coached team was well balanced so you have a ton of options . I would look at my two conference rivals formations and pick mine to off set theirs. Good luck. ps Be sure to decide on your formations before you recuit the types and numbers of players and positions are real important. 
Good stuff - thanks for the long detailed answer!!  Quick follow up - would you focus on maybe 2 offensive (one run, one pass) and 2 (one run, one pass) defensive alignments?
5/30/2012 11:30 PM
Posted by jc1796 on 5/30/2012 11:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rmancil on 5/30/2012 7:31:00 PM (view original):
Vision improves with winning your key is avoiding locking heads with Nichols he has you on rating and coaching exp so you will lose most of the time when you go head to head. But your in a real good area to land talent so you should be able to see what his needs are and try and avoid the same players. He will be able to see players that you don't and recruit them. Knowing that when you see a good player or a couple scout the two a recruit only your best even if you need both at least early on then if no one jumps the 2nd player take a shot. Better to land 1 good solid player than to lose both. Greed kills look at how they scout out and be sure to have a solid practice plan in place. Don't try and run to many defenses or offenses choose no more than 4 tp 5 in total and practice them . Keep a strong eye on development and on the pct of the types of offense and defense you run. adjust your practice to match. Be sure to red shirt 3 players who have strong growth potential and know that it does take a few seasons to put your stamp on a team. Don't switch your formations once you commit and if you like a couple equally look at what the players were skilled at previously. A quick look at your team tells me that your over loaded on offense formations and one short on defense you need to have a base defense and a pass defense also your sim coached team was well balanced so you have a ton of options . I would look at my two conference rivals formations and pick mine to off set theirs. Good luck. ps Be sure to decide on your formations before you recuit the types and numbers of players and positions are real important. 
Good stuff - thanks for the long detailed answer!!  Quick follow up - would you focus on maybe 2 offensive (one run, one pass) and 2 (one run, one pass) defensive alignments?
That is my preference.However I do run and pass out of both. I also play pass defense with a 4-4 against wishbone passing clubs and certain down and distance vs I formation and N.D. Sounds silly but offense and defense can match up like the old paper scissor rock game the key is calling the right one vs your opponent and having the talent to run the formation.
5/30/2012 11:36 PM
my 2 cents on
Vision: i noticed that i was signing more of the top guys i could see after just my 1st 10-win season (also made school's first-ever playoff appearance). I wasnt necessarily 'seeing' better recruits, but it seemed like i was able to sign some of the better guys i could see. this trend increased in my 2nd and 3rd 10-win seasons (also won CC and advanced to 2nd round both years). This was my first recruiting cycle after 3 consecutive 10-win season, so my vision had increased, i could 'see' better guys. But it seems like i was able to sign fewer of the top guys i could see, and because i wasnt targeting the lesser guys from the get-go it seems like i actually ended up signing a worse class this year with my increased vision than i did with my lower vision last season (because it seems like i was able to ink a higher % of my top targeted guy when i had lesser vision)
So i think the important thing to think about is overall team prestiege, it seems to be on a sliding scale every season and it seems to be relative to other teams. So you want to get as many wins as you can as early as you can and remember just just because you can see better players doesnt meant they will want to sign with you over as you grow your team vs a perennial powerhouse.

3-4 LB:
Ive run the 3-4 almost exclusively the last 3 seasons and swear by it in just about every situation. I favor SPD over just about everything else, but to differentiate between ILB and OLB, higher TECH guys tend to be OLB for better pass coverage, higher GI/TAK guys as ILB. the criteria can also be exclusionary, like if i have a guy i signed who isnt necessarily a perfect fit at either ILB or OLB, if his TECH is too low i will stick him at ILB regardless, and vice versa. quality depth is the key for 3-4, 8 is good but the 4th guys get very very little PT so it is important to have a good spacing between classes, 2 in each class is ideal i think.
5/31/2012 10:32 AM
rman what's your take on the 3-4?  interesting points by govolswoo, seeing as how LBs might be easier to snag than DLs, I almost think it could be a good option for a rebuild
5/31/2012 11:12 AM
I ran a 3-4 for a few seasons with B.C. and I found it to be a great defense vs the pro set and vas teams that pass short. LB are not as sought after as DL most of the time so from a recuiting stand point it has advantages along with ST play where LB are key.
5/31/2012 11:44 AM
Posted by rmancil on 5/30/2012 7:52:00 PM (view original):
It seems to me that if two or more clubs are fighting for a player that your right that if you fail to turn him green early on he will stay yellow even with you in a good lead.
here's my take on this:  If two coaches are putting in effort into the same recruit, the recruit will stay yellow until one coach has a sizeable lead on the "recruiting effort" meter.  My rough estimate is the recruit turns green once one coach has a 50% lead on the other.
5/31/2012 12:25 PM
I want to answer some questions before they get asked again, for the millionth time.....

If you promise a recruit Start As Freshman, he will want to start as a freshman, not a RS-freshman.

If you promise a recruit Start As Sophomore, he will want to start as a sophomore or RS-freshman.
5/31/2012 1:38 PM
In DIII, be very careful battling sims for recruits.  It gets expensive.  Personally, I'd stay within 180 miles.  You can try <360 miles, but I for sure wouldn't go over that.

Find an undecided, much cheaper.

5/31/2012 1:39 PM
Posted by bhouska on 5/31/2012 1:39:00 PM (view original):
In DIII, be very careful battling sims for recruits.  It gets expensive.  Personally, I'd stay within 180 miles.  You can try <360 miles, but I for sure wouldn't go over that.

One thing I was told a long time ago about battling sims has seemed to work really well for me. I have never seemed to have much trouble at all with sims since. The way to beat a sim is to attack early and spend the per recruit allocation. i.e. in D3 you get $3000 per recruit. So spend $3100 in 1 or 2 cycles and the sim will go away. If you do not want to spend that much, you may be in for a long fight. If you wait to long or spend it to slowly, the sim will not go away.
5/31/2012 4:19 PM
Posted by biggamefan on 5/31/2012 4:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bhouska on 5/31/2012 1:39:00 PM (view original):

One thing I was told a long time ago about battling sims has seemed to work really well for me. I have never seemed to have much trouble at all with sims since. The way to beat a sim is to attack early and spend the per recruit allocation. i.e. in D3 you get $3000 per recruit. So spend $3100 in 1 or 2 cycles and the sim will go away. If you do not want to spend that much, you may be in for a long fight. If you wait to long or spend it to slowly, the sim will not go away.
+1 I'm going to try this

It would make sense for the SIM recruiting to work this way.  If it cost more to beat a SIM than the per-recruit allocation we would all fail every season
6/1/2012 11:49 AM

Rmancil, another question...

In my game plan for todays game, I never had my team running the wishbone or a dime defense.  Yet, in the PBP results, I was in those formations occasionally.  Am I not doing something right?

JC
6/3/2012 11:45 PM
It would make sense for the SIM recruiting to work this way.  If it cost more to beat a SIM than the per-recruit allocation we would all fail every season

You would only fail if you battled Sims for every recruit.  That's my whole point.  You don't have to battle Sims to get good talent.

6/4/2012 9:13 AM

i use interest in SIMs as my first cut, before i even look at attributes to narrow down the pool im gonna actually scout.
if a guy has SIMs on him before the first cycle i will not even consider him 9 times outta 10 (if not higher)
there are just too many fish in the DIII sea to bother battling with SIMs.
I dont think i've battled a SIM for more than one or two guys in the last 5 classes.

6/4/2012 12:04 PM
Posted by bhouska on 6/4/2012 9:13:00 AM (view original):

You would only fail if you battled Sims for every recruit.  That's my whole point.  You don't have to battle Sims to get good talent.

I cant remember the last time I went after a recruit that had a SIM on him.  As a new coach at D3, just stay away from SIMS.
6/5/2012 10:09 AM
Posted by gmc_sierra on 5/30/2012 9:42:00 PM (view original):
Thank you rmancil for giving this clinic a try . .When recruiting for LB's , what attributes do you look for that determines a good Inside linebacker and also for a good Outside linebacker . Same question for Defensive backs , with regards to Corner and Safeties . I currently practice for 3 Def. sets .4-3 , 4-4 , 5-2 . Hope to drop 4-4 for 3-4 in the future if I can get the depth I would need .
For all positions, do NOT look at each position individually.  Determine how your entire team will operate first, then choose offensive and defensive schemes to match, then recruit for that.

Example:  Grind it out smash mouth, ball control offense.  Choose wishbone or ND Box.  Go with best OL and RBs you can find.  Blocking is a priority for everyone.

Example:  Stop the run first, and make your opponent pass:  Choose 4-3 or 4-4 as your base, with monster DLs and LBs.  Choose DBs that look more like S than CB.

Just examples and certainly more detail could be stated...but the simple point is that one coach's opinion on what makes a good (insert position here) can be way different than another coach's perspective.

6/5/2012 10:15 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.