Recruiting question Topic

So, I am at D 1-AA and had worked hard on a recruit and finally had him all to myself.. then in comes a Division 1-A team and he is now interested in both of us. Does this mean I have pretty much lost this recruit because a Division 1 school is working on him?
10/8/2012 6:23 PM
Beating a D1 school for a recruit that coach wants will be almost impossible, or at least very very very expensive.

However, it could be possible that the coach is only interested in the recruit as a backup.  If that's the case, the recruit may turn green again if the other coach signs all of his scholarships.
10/8/2012 6:26 PM
Offer him and if the D1 coach doesn't you will get him.
10/8/2012 9:31 PM
When you offer him, if he's leaning your way, save your cash and see if the DIA guy ups the ante. If he doesn't, they guy will eventually sign with you. If you've put that much into him and you're still behind, it's time to start looking for a backup.
10/9/2012 4:39 PM
Posted by scrodz on 10/9/2012 4:39:00 PM (view original):
When you offer him, if he's leaning your way, save your cash and see if the DIA guy ups the ante. If he doesn't, they guy will eventually sign with you. If you've put that much into him and you're still behind, it's time to start looking for a backup.
Not necessarily true.  I've signed plenty of players at D1AA where I was behind, with the recruit considering a D1A school.  You just need to be aware of what the D1A school is doing before you bail on a recruit.  For example, if the D1A coach has signed three players at the same position as the recruit and already has fairly good depth at that position, chances are the guy is a backup for him, and once all of his other battles have been settled, he'll sign with you.
10/11/2012 10:44 AM
Posted by mgm0461 on 10/11/2012 10:44:00 AM (view original):
Not necessarily true.  I've signed plenty of players at D1AA where I was behind, with the recruit considering a D1A school.  You just need to be aware of what the D1A school is doing before you bail on a recruit.  For example, if the D1A coach has signed three players at the same position as the recruit and already has fairly good depth at that position, chances are the guy is a backup for him, and once all of his other battles have been settled, he'll sign with you.
Agreed. At DIA I usually have a backup or two who went green for me cheap (and it doesn't take much to knock off a D1AA). Do your homework and you might get the player without inefficiently spending a ton of cash. If you think you've found such a player, keep an offer on him even if he goes red for you. You probably don't even have to be yellow on him anymore - if the DIA fills all it's schollies, my understanding is the player will revert to who he was considering before, be it Sims or you (hopefully you).

Just a suggestion.
10/12/2012 8:00 PM
Posted by arcadecowboy on 10/12/2012 8:00:00 PM (view original):
Agreed. At DIA I usually have a backup or two who went green for me cheap (and it doesn't take much to knock off a D1AA). Do your homework and you might get the player without inefficiently spending a ton of cash. If you think you've found such a player, keep an offer on him even if he goes red for you. You probably don't even have to be yellow on him anymore - if the DIA fills all it's schollies, my understanding is the player will revert to who he was considering before, be it Sims or you (hopefully you).

Just a suggestion.
The original poster says he's worked hard on the recruit to turn him green. That's a significant cash investment. While a DIA can usually step in and flip a guy yellow without much effort, in this case he's put enough money on the table so that the recruit is a DIA lean. To me, that's not a backup who went green for cheap. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. 90% of the time, the only way you get this guy is if the DIA fills his schollies elsewhere. You have no control over that, and spending more money won't increase your chances. Find a good backup, and wait it out. If the DIA goes away, the guy will almost certainly revert to you, since he was already green before the DIA stepped in. Sign him then without spending the extra cash.
10/13/2012 12:16 AM
Posted by scrodz on 10/13/2012 12:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by arcadecowboy on 10/12/2012 8:00:00 PM (view original):

Just a suggestion.
The original poster says he's worked hard on the recruit to turn him green. That's a significant cash investment. While a DIA can usually step in and flip a guy yellow without much effort, in this case he's put enough money on the table so that the recruit is a DIA lean. To me, that's not a backup who went green for cheap. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. 90% of the time, the only way you get this guy is if the DIA fills his schollies elsewhere. You have no control over that, and spending more money won't increase your chances. Find a good backup, and wait it out. If the DIA goes away, the guy will almost certainly revert to you, since he was already green before the DIA stepped in. Sign him then without spending the extra cash.
10/13/2012 1:20 AM
It also depends on whether or not the D1 is an elite, and what kind of D1AA team you are.  If you are perennially in the Championship game and the team you are recruiting against only gets into bowl games when they buy a ticket, you can recruit against them.  Just be aware that they generally have more cash to burn than you.
10/14/2012 1:27 AM
Wait it out. If he doesn't sign with the 1A, you are gold.
10/14/2012 9:36 PM
Recruiting question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.