OT - Maryland & Rutgers to Big Ten? Topic

according to ESPN, the Big Ten is in serious negotiations with Maryland to join the conference.  If Maryland says yes, Rutgers would also come in as the 14th member.  Connecticut would then likely go to the ACC to replace Maryland.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8644587/maryland-terrapins-rutgers-scarlet-knights-talks-join-big-ten-conference-sources-say
11/17/2012 6:08 PM
I've seen that all over the OSU forums and the overall feeling among Buckeyes is that adding these two schools doesn't truly strengthen the brand, but definitely brings in more money. So, there's always the argument over what "strengthen the brand" means. It doesn't negatively affect the prestige of the B1G but it doesn't boost it either. So, really, I don't see the long list of positives that the B1G executives do but I don't mind beating up on the Terps and Knights. They'll have to change their primary color though because there's only room for one Scarlet-clad team in the B1G.      

11/17/2012 9:12 PM
There is no team that the Big 10 can add that will strengthen the brand, but those are the two schools that at least make some geographic sense that will absolutely strengthen the money, markets, and profile (by new locations) of the conference.  Anything that can help the Big 10 get the NYC metro area, Baltimore, and D.C. markets is a net positive for the conference.
11/18/2012 1:54 AM
and a net loss for the world at large...I'm even more disgusted with major college sports than I was yesterday.
11/18/2012 2:17 AM
Rutgers and Maryland are **** poor adds for the Big10, not even sure why they would try to bring in either team.  Big10 looking desperate on this one
11/18/2012 5:29 PM
Very surprised by this, kinda figured with B1G just adding Nebraska and finally forming a 2 division conference they would stay that way for a while... this move though, makes you wonder what will become of the ACC (sort of) but definitely the Big East... are they done?
11/18/2012 5:58 PM
This move is not a stroke of genious by the Big10. I guess they approve of being mediocre.
11/18/2012 6:13 PM
Louisville would of been a much better add for the Big10.  Louisville has a better football and basketball program than both Rutgers and Maryland combined and at the end of the day these are the only two sports that even matter.  I believe Louisville is the #1 revenue school in the country for basketball.  As much as I can't stand UofL the Big10 would of gotten a lot more value out of adding UofL to the Big10 than Maryland or Rutgers.
11/18/2012 7:17 PM
Bye Bye Big East
11/19/2012 2:58 AM
Truthfully, I'm also sick of all this movement among teams.....all for money.  I know thats how things roll these days, but there is something way, way wrong with all this.  I'm starting to think it may be the right time to start paying players, since they are the primary contributors and get little to nothing in return.
11/19/2012 9:20 AM
Well its official, MD to B1G in 2014-15 and Rutgers expected to announce their move tomorrow
11/19/2012 1:10 PM
Posted by mcroker90 on 11/19/2012 2:58:00 AM (view original):
Bye Bye Big East
Boise State and San Diego State need to come to their senses and abandon joining the Big East.  Both programs will be so much better suited to stay with the MWC conference. 
11/19/2012 2:05 PM
Being an Alum from a Big 10 school I can fully appreciate the advantage of this move to add Rutgers and Maryland.  It is about the money and it isn't about the money when its all said and done.  Although it seems like there isnt an Athletic advantage here, the bigger advantage is Academically and supporting Title IX programs.

1.  Last year the Big Ten network paid out close to 300 mill to the 12 teams,  Maryland and Rutgers with their footprint and affluent alums, speculations are saying $500 mill + by 2016.   This means more money for Title IX programs/ non revenue sports like baseball and soccer.
2. Both Rutgers and Maryland are part of the AAU which as a chancellor means more than having a successful sport program.   The billions of dollars the Government pays out to Universities for research  and new technologies , well there are only 62 of those AAU universities and they got about 55-60% of all those billions from the Gov't.   Although each Big 10 institute competes for those same monies by the Gov't , the Big Ten also shares those resources and "some" break through technologies with each other.
3.  Although Maryland is a sad case when it comes to Football, this immediately puts them on the recruiting map when going for top players.  In addition , it puts a natural land touching state with Pennsylvania for rivalries.

Just speculation for but look for Kansas and North Carolina to be added in the next 2 years  for those same reasons above

btw...The Big Ten is screwing up WIS by causing this domino affect with conferences...pretty soon playing GD will be a joke trying to remember that Notre Dame doenst belong in Big Ten and Rutgers and Maryland belongs ..ugh

11/19/2012 2:21 PM (edited)
the raid on the ACC is getting ready to kick into high gear.
I hear the SEC wants Clemson & Florida State.
How ironic that it was the AC that started this whole thing by adding Miami and VT, now the ACC is being canabalized and the canes & Hokies might end up back where they started.
11/19/2012 2:35 PM
Clemson and FSU to the SEC would simply make it a MONSTER...even more of a MONSTER than it is now....
11/19/2012 8:45 PM
12 Next ▸
OT - Maryland & Rutgers to Big Ten? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.