When will wis fix rating system? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Things seems to work out fine...  a loss late in the season can drop a team 20 places if it is to a bad team.  Just like a loss late to a great team will still drop but about as much as Bama dropped after losing to Texas AM
11/18/2012 12:24 PM

There are many flaws with GD.  You can spend a lot of time listing them all.  And then you can rank them, from the most important/debilitating/annoying to the least.  The flaws in the ranking system would be on page 2 or 3.  Ultimately, it does a pretty good job of getting the right 32 teams for a playoff.  In D1A, it gets a little fuzzier, I'll grant you, but real life isn't so clear cut either.

Given all the other things that could and should be improved, the ranking system is not and should not be a priority.

11/18/2012 5:16 PM
Cydrych... what in your opinion shuld the priorities be for GD?  I am curious as towhat you think, because typically all I see from you is commentary from toward others to"move along", or to essentially keep ones motuh shut about the numerous problems that GD has, but doesnt fix.  Perhaps you are willing to sit patiently by season after season, calendar year after year, and are happy to pay for what you get from GD; if so, you apparently have low expectations of the game.  Many of us who have greater expectations of the game, and expect some results from all the promises we are given, are tired of the "just wait a little longer" bulls**t we have been fed for two or three years, and want something better for our money.  If WIS/GD isnt going to fix the game--- and it is just a GAME, nowhere near to being a football simulation---- then they should tell everyone, so people could make an informed decision to stay or go, not limp along based on unfulfilled future expectations---- that is the basis for their often-unhappy and ever-dwindling GD customer base.  You obviously like the game for what is is, and dont seem to worry about what it isnt; yet you appear to recognize it has deficiencies and needs improvement. So, rather than continually poo-pah everyone else's view of what is needed to make GD in practice what it is marketed as,what do YOU see as the priorities for GD?

PS.... do own stock in FoxSports, or WIS, etc?  Just wondering
11/18/2012 5:48 PM
Posted by northstorm on 11/18/2012 5:48:00 PM (view original):
Cydrych... what in your opinion shuld the priorities be for GD?  I am curious as towhat you think, because typically all I see from you is commentary from toward others to"move along", or to essentially keep ones motuh shut about the numerous problems that GD has, but doesnt fix.  Perhaps you are willing to sit patiently by season after season, calendar year after year, and are happy to pay for what you get from GD; if so, you apparently have low expectations of the game.  Many of us who have greater expectations of the game, and expect some results from all the promises we are given, are tired of the "just wait a little longer" bulls**t we have been fed for two or three years, and want something better for our money.  If WIS/GD isnt going to fix the game--- and it is just a GAME, nowhere near to being a football simulation---- then they should tell everyone, so people could make an informed decision to stay or go, not limp along based on unfulfilled future expectations---- that is the basis for their often-unhappy and ever-dwindling GD customer base.  You obviously like the game for what is is, and dont seem to worry about what it isnt; yet you appear to recognize it has deficiencies and needs improvement. So, rather than continually poo-pah everyone else's view of what is needed to make GD in practice what it is marketed as,what do YOU see as the priorities for GD?

PS.... do own stock in FoxSports, or WIS, etc?  Just wondering
Im really not sure why anyone brings up a point on here that this or that needs to be fixed.  The reason I say this is because we all agree that certain aspects could/should be improved and we all have other aspects that we (individually) feel need to be addressed.  Someone might have a huge issue with AC recruiting while another may feel that "late game play colling" is way out of line.  Every coach that comes on here with a legitimate gripe (to them) has taken the time to post it here deserves better responses then "not important", " I disagree and this is why" (and hold on while 20 other coaches jump on the band wagon against the original post).

Norbert has said it will be a couple of months - so if nothing by Jan 2013 (beta testing) then lets carry on with what needs to be changed.
11/18/2012 8:58 PM
I agree with starfinder but to answer your question:

I think the engine needs to be more responsive to user inputs.  I think user inputs need to be better designed to allow for greater diversity in game play.  I think game play should have some sort of basis in actual football.  I think the engine needs to be more consistent given similar inputs (random is fine but too random too often is too annoying).  A lot of those things are being worked on now (in theory) so hopefully we will have a better engine soon.  And all of those things have little or nothing to do with your ranking system, the realism of the recruiting system, better control over substitutions, job hiring and security, recruiting rankings, better control over practice schedules, menu layout, better play-by-plays, more realistic conferences/divisions, and end of half/game logic.  ALL OF WHICH COULD USE AT LEAST A LITTLE WORK -- BUT NONE OF IT MATTERS IF THE ENGINE DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN WHAT WE HAVE RIGHT NOW.

So where is your priority?  If the engine isn't vastly improved, I personally am not sticking around WIS/GD long enough to ever see them work on your national championship game/ranking system priority.  I think it is so far down the list of things that needs to be addressed that its comical that you guys get so bent out of shape about it.  Sorry if I hurt your feelings by being so dismissive.
11/18/2012 10:22 PM
     Cydrych you just come off as a jerk. You have posted some good ideas and you have a good feel for the game. You however have opinions that are no better than mine or anyone else's. You are right in that there is a lot that needs to be fixed. That said rating system is pretty simple in comparison. I just lost out on a shot at a N.C. in Div 1a so yes it does top my list at the moment and for good reason.

If you have nothing constructive on the point then perhaps you might want to focus on another thread.

This thread is about the issue on the poor rating system and the need to fix it. Please limit your comments to that subject thanks.
11/18/2012 10:59 PM
I agree where you have the rankings (in priority). However my biggest "beef" is with recruiting, more specifically that SIMs need to abide by a budget and recruiting is the first thing that every coach does, regardless of how "fine tuned" the engine is! Coaches will follow this with the "usual" learn how to recruit banter. My response is if you have the horses, you can be successful in this engine or any other.
11/18/2012 11:08 PM
Starfinder I think most who play the game think that the best thing about it is the recruiting. A good many points have been addressed and there are plans for a beta this thread is about the ranking system and if it is or is not a true reflection of any type of reality. Is it good as it stands or should it be fixed?

It is not as complex as so many in depth ideas on issues with the game. It is a simple formula that does or does not work.

11/18/2012 11:41 PM (edited)
That's the point, ur gripe with an issue is that it can be fixed without a "major effort". I'm saying the same thing about a different issue. Yet I don't have an idea how easy or hard it is to fix/change something.

I suspect that every coach that has at least a few seasons under their belt, understand how to recruit and be successful. For the first time user, it is a different story. The recruiting manifesto is great but it has become so long winded. Yes it will be addressed, but not until way down the line. I sent a ticket in on my gripe with recruiting and the answer was that it would be changed and that WIS was amazed at how many people didn't have an issue with it.

Every thread for the most part after so many posts does usually morph into different discussions, and this one is no different.
11/19/2012 5:53 AM
Star can you focus on the subject? This thread is not about listing all of or any of anyones complaints other than the rating system.  

Thanks
11/19/2012 6:44 AM
12 Next ▸
When will wis fix rating system? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.