OT: Arkansas Hires Belema from Wisonsin Topic

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/12/04/bret-bielema-wisconsin-arkansas/1746029/

Discuss
12/4/2012 4:25 PM
I think its a great move for Arkansas.

This further spells the state of Big10 football. A guy leaves a perrennial contender for an SEC also ran.

Another SEC win and another Big10 loss.

12/4/2012 4:33 PM
Posted by jibe on 12/4/2012 4:33:00 PM (view original):

This further spells the state of Big10 football. A guy leaves a perrennial contender for an SEC also ran.

Good take. Now wait until the Big-10 adds Georgia Tech and another SEC team and the SEC counters with Miami and Florida State. Then, game over.
12/4/2012 5:52 PM
I am surprised he took it, I would have thought as a 3 peat CC winner and three straight Rose Bowls that he would be slated there... apparently not
12/4/2012 6:29 PM
Grade A *** clown. Gonna enjoy seeing him get run over the next few years.
12/4/2012 6:47 PM
Posted by kneeneighbor on 12/4/2012 6:47:00 PM (view original):
Grade A *** clown. Gonna enjoy seeing him get run over the next few years.
You must be a Gopher fan. lol. I am too btw lol

Yeah what he did 3 years ago or whatever wasn't too classy in running things up. But I figured hey it couldn't happen to a finer figure than Brewster, that man destroyed the program for a long time and it was a fitting way for him to go out. As for Bielma, when ya got the guns you may as well use em.

12/4/2012 6:54 PM
Posted by ermackey on 12/4/2012 5:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jibe on 12/4/2012 4:33:00 PM (view original):

Good take. Now wait until the Big-10 adds Georgia Tech and another SEC team and the SEC counters with Miami and Florida State. Then, game over.
Slightly off topic here mackey. Big10 or whatever it will be called should have thought with their expansion moves of waving the white flag in football and just try to remain credible in that regard. Instead of Maryland and Rutgers went after Louisville, Kansas and North carolina and maybe someone like Syracuse and become a Basketball powerhouse. They would still have a lot of football tradition and would stay 2nd to SEC but they would be by far the top BB conference. As it is we're still mediocre now in football and the expension doesn't help BB either.

12/4/2012 7:00 PM
As an Arkansas fan, I am excited about this hire. Great resume, and a defensive-minded coach, which is what we have been lacking. Hope to see some good old fashioned football in the coming years in Fayetteville.
12/5/2012 12:35 AM
I'm surprised no big programs have gone after Mike Macintrye after he's turned SJSU around in recent years and should have beaten Stanford week 1. Bielema is a great hire though and I like the physical style of play that his teams bring to the games its fun to watch all the big O-line men and TE's out there. The defense knows what's coming and its just a smash mouth style of football. Great stuff should be fun to watch that added to the SEC where it's predominantly spread offenses/option reads.
12/5/2012 3:46 AM
As a Badger fan, I would put a word of caution out there to Razorback fans expecting great things. Bielema is a very good recruiter, but his game plans and game management are questionable. The Badgers have lost a lot of close games and struggled in bowl games. Don't let the Nebraska game fool you - when the Badgers face a strong opponent, they have struggled, and we haven't seen a history of successful second half adjustments. They lost 3 consecutive OT games this season and are 2-4 in bowls. The Razorbacks will get talent, but not sure if that will translate to stepping up to the elite of the SEC.
12/5/2012 9:09 AM
As long as Chris Peterson isn't  being named the Razorback coach. I'm good with it!
12/5/2012 10:49 AM
Posted by treyomo on 12/5/2012 9:09:00 AM (view original):
As a Badger fan, I would put a word of caution out there to Razorback fans expecting great things. Bielema is a very good recruiter, but his game plans and game management are questionable. The Badgers have lost a lot of close games and struggled in bowl games. Don't let the Nebraska game fool you - when the Badgers face a strong opponent, they have struggled, and we haven't seen a history of successful second half adjustments. They lost 3 consecutive OT games this season and are 2-4 in bowls. The Razorbacks will get talent, but not sure if that will translate to stepping up to the elite of the SEC.
what are you talking about?  Wisconsin never has a highly ranked class and generally finishes near the top of the conference and in the top 25.  In fact, I don't believe Wisconsin has had a top 25 recruiting class ever and certainly hasn't during Bielema's time at the helm.  Thus, Wisconsin is winning with inferior talent coming in, which generally means the players are getting coached up.  The reason Wisconsin loses to the strong opponents (like Ohio State and in bowl games) is because they just don't have the talent that those schools do.  Wisconsin just doesn't have the top tier talent that other schools have, which is why you also won't find all that many Badgers in the NFL (sure they have some guys like JJ Watt that are monsters, but he is a rarity and he was a walk-on and and a transfer).
12/5/2012 11:38 AM
I have to agree with Moranis on that one
12/5/2012 12:03 PM
Each week I watch the Badger game, while also reading a live chat/blog of the game on the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinal website.  And each week, about 90% of the "fans" complain about something.  Most of the time, if a play doesn't break for 20+ yds, they complain about the play calling (and anytime a big play does break, most of them tear their rotator cuff trying to pat themselves on the back, claiming they "called it").  But a running stream of nonsense have been the calls for Bielema to be fired.

moranis hit it right on the head.  The Badgers have consistantly out performed their talent, that speaks directly to coaching.  The "fans" assumed that since we had a few players pan out (Montee Ball, Russel Wilson, JJ Watt), that the team as a whole should be a National Championship contender and the only thing holding "us" back was Bielema.  I don't think Bielema was/is a top tier coach, but he was solid and it was ridiculous for all the calls for him to be fired.  Here's hoping the Badgers can lure Chryst away from Pittsburgh.
12/5/2012 12:17 PM (edited)
When you look at who other SEC programs have hired over the past few years, Bielema's resume is a lot better than most, besides Spurrier and possibly Saban. And even Saban's record at Michigan State wasn't great. He is not nearly as risky as hiring an up and comer type. Everyone I have talked to here likes the hire except for a few of the internet crazies.

I think it's a homerun hire by AD Jeff Long.

12/5/2012 1:57 PM
12 Next ▸
OT: Arkansas Hires Belema from Wisonsin Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.