defensive agressivness? Topic

So I'm trying to improve my game planning in GD to get to the next step. I've been pretty successful in recruiting, which keeps me competitive.

My question, if  you face a team that is throwing the ball a lot, but mostly short to medium passes, how would you set your def. aggressiveness? If I set it to a more aggressive setting, will that bring my coverage guys closer to the ball to take away the underneath passes. I thought I heard that if you have a conservative defensive setting your db's and lb.'s play back to prevent the big plays, and are thus susceptible to the short to medium passes.

I know this is specific, but are my thoughts incorrect here? Just trying to get some sort of handle and my game planning.
1/1/2013 8:42 PM
Game planning doesn't matter.
1/1/2013 10:26 PM
My opinion/understanding:  There is a bit of confusion on Tendency vs Aggressiveness as it relates to "closer vs farther" from the LOS.  I personally believe that Norbert's comments on this several month's ago INADVERTENTLY caused the confusion.  I believe he just used different words to really say the same thing that jconte had said.

In short:  TENDENCY controls how close your DBs are to the LOS.  Always Run means they are close.  Always Pass means they are deep.

Aggressiveness settings are more about "blitzing" and/or making plays on the ball.  Very Aggressive will give the "effect" of more blitzes and going for INT vs allowing the catch and then a tackle.  Very Conservative is opposite....meaning no one is going to blitz.  DLs are more in "read/react" mode, and DBs are going to allow the play to stay in front of them and then make the tackle...vs trying to make a play.

Therefore, in answer to your question....IF YOU HAVE DB SPEED to allow it...you should/could play more run or heavy run to get your guys closer to the LOS...thus taking away the short passing game.  If you play Heavy Pass or Always Pass, they will throw underneath you all night.  
1/1/2013 10:47 PM
Posted by fastec27 on 1/1/2013 10:26:00 PM (view original):
I have to totally disagree.  Game Planning is not the ONLY thing that matters, but  it is ANOTHER one of the many levers you can use to further increase your chances of a victory.

Example:  If give me Dime/Always Pass/Very Aggressive....vs my Always Run wishbone, I will absolutely shred you.  Many other examples can be made as well.
1/1/2013 10:51 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 1/1/2013 10:51:00 PM (view original):
I have to totally disagree.  Game Planning is not the ONLY thing that matters, but  it is ANOTHER one of the many levers you can use to further increase your chances of a victory.

Example:  If give me Dime/Always Pass/Very Aggressive....vs my Always Run wishbone, I will absolutely shred you.  Many other examples can be made as well.
This.
1/1/2013 11:29 PM

With an extreme example like the one you gave, I agree, but when gameplanned correctly, not so much.

Who the F is gonna run Dime/Always Pass vs. WB???
1/2/2013 9:40 AM
The point remains the same.  The example is extreme, in order to clearly illustrate the point.

It is easy to find evidence that clearly disproves a blanket statement.
1/2/2013 10:57 AM (edited)
I'm not a 100% certain. More then likely you shred the defense 8 out 10 games. One game you do just ok and another you get stopped cold....
1/2/2013 11:34 PM
Game planning matters but when each team is as good as each other anything can go.
1/2/2013 11:48 PM
I feel like game planning makes a difference about 90% of the time. The other 10% I just go "What the heck just happened?"..

I feel like I have made some very good game plans that helped me edge out some teams that were far superior. I Rockne D3 for example I handed the national champion his only loss.. the 2nd season in a row.. While other human controlled teams in my conference consistently get beat by him and the fact that his team is much better then mine every season. If I would have said F it and just thrown any gameplan in there I do not think the results would have been the same. 

That being said if you are the far superior team you probably could just say F it and win on your players talent and skill alone. 
1/3/2013 12:13 AM

Ermackey's Depaul team in Yost D1 runs Dime Def vs run all the time and shuts the run down... He plays top notch competition (SOS #1) and is ranked #1 right now at 9-1....

Check it out..... and then explain..... I'm curious as to what others think...
1/3/2013 4:12 PM
Posted by teamville on 1/3/2013 4:12:00 PM (view original):

Ermackey's Depaul team in Yost D1 runs Dime Def vs run all the time and shuts the run down... He plays top notch competition (SOS #1) and is ranked #1 right now at 9-1....

I won a couple of L5 bowls using nothing but Nickel-Bal-Bal every down, every game.  Make what you want of that.
1/3/2013 4:17 PM
Posted by slid64er on 1/3/2013 4:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by teamville on 1/3/2013 4:12:00 PM (view original):

I won a couple of L5 bowls using nothing but Nickel-Bal-Bal every down, every game.  Make what you want of that.
I can't make heads or tails of it....

I'm curious as to the guys that say you can run all over a dime defense think about Ermackey's scheme.....What do you make of that?
1/3/2013 4:23 PM
Depaul runs Dime Defense vs run all the time? It looks like he runs a mixture of 4-3 and Dime to me.

On top of that it looks like Louisville's (Depaul's last opponent) running wasnt exactly shutdown.. the RBs averaged over 5 yds per carry.
1/3/2013 5:02 PM
I don't have a team in Yost, so I can't look at his boxes, but by checking his GUESS page, ermackey's got fast safeties playing CB, five backup DLs, and four backup OLBs. He's recruited specifically for his system. His front 5 are always very experienced, and his DBs tackle like LBs. Strangely enough, I'd guess his biggest weakness is against shotgun/heavy pass teams, since his DB don't look like they'd stack up well against top WRs, and I don't know what kind of pass rush he's generating with his front 5. This is all speculation, but I'd be curious to hear from someone who's actually played him and see what works and what doesn't.
1/3/2013 5:15 PM
12 Next ▸
defensive agressivness? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.