How do you decide who to redshirt?

Votes: 81
(Last vote received: 3/2/2014 3:52 PM)
1/7/2013 1:49 PM
I do a mix of the above...but balance is the most appropriate response.
1/7/2013 3:23 PM
I have RD the worst to make em better and a combo of the others. Depends on what will be needed down the road. Mostly I do the best.
1/7/2013 3:28 PM
I RS the best players that I don't need that year. I typically RS all RB's and QB's. A lot of factors come into play, but I redshirt 3 dudes 99% of the time.

At D1 I look at roster class distribution and also what guys I am likely to sign the following year (doing a search).

I put a lot of thougt into it when it's not a QB or RB.
1/7/2013 5:41 PM
I try and redshirt my QB and RB's. Anything left that is available goes to the player with the highest potential. I never waste a redshirt on average or lower player because they will never start anyway.
1/7/2013 6:12 PM
I RS systematically to fit the scheme of my team.
1/7/2013 6:22 PM
Posted by airraiddevil on 1/7/2013 5:41:00 PM (view original):
I RS the best players that I don't need that year. I typically RS all RB's and QB's. A lot of factors come into play, but I redshirt 3 dudes 99% of the time.

At D1 I look at roster class distribution and also what guys I am likely to sign the following year (doing a search).

I put a lot of thougt into it when it's not a QB or RB.
+1

Line one anyway!
1/7/2013 6:36 PM
RS all QB and RB.
at least one OL or DL depending on roster depth
then a WR if still available

I would love to redshirt more players if the rules allowed it.
1/8/2013 4:57 PM
Haven't played for years and just getting back in so take this for what it is worth. I definitely agree in RS players you can live without that particular season. I also try to strike balance in terms of offense/defense, but the one thing I really like to do is try to have balance at positions. Meaning, I'm not a fan of having to recruit 6 OL in one season. I also prefer to have redshirt So. or higher starting at key positions whenever possible. So if I am going to be somewhere for a while I would try to make it where I only 2-3 OL in a given year. I like to have at least redshirt So. take over for an outgoing Sr. QB ... that kind of thing.
1/8/2013 6:04 PM
I always RS during the SO season I make sure to RS all QBs and then the highest potential Defense guy and Offense guy after that.
1/8/2013 11:04 PM
Posted by trombumpet on 1/8/2013 11:04:00 PM (view original):
I always RS during the SO season I make sure to RS all QBs and then the highest potential Defense guy and Offense guy after that.
Don't you take a WE hit?
1/9/2013 4:34 PM
They will take about a 15% hit to their WE if given a RS as a soph
1/9/2013 4:45 PM

1.  I like balanced classes, both overall and within each position.  If I plan to stay at the school a while, I use redshirts to even out the classes whenever possible, even if it means redshirting Sophs on a limited basis.
2.  Redshirt all QBs if possible.
3.  Never redshirt TE, K, or P
4.  I always have 3 Redshirt players assuming my roster is set up properly.  Other than QB, I never pre-plan what position I will redshirt; I simply recruit 3 extra guys regardless of position (other than TE, K. or P). 
5.  For each position that has an extra guy, I usually redshirt the guy with the best potential & WE factored in together. But the potential is more important.
6.  In D-IA, I prefer to avoid redshirting guys with core numbers close to 90 since they top out there for the most part. 
7.  I tend to redshirt the worst of my players instead of the best, especially at DI-A.  Not on purpose necessarily, it just sort of happens that way.
8.  I never look at next year's recruits to decide who I'm going to sign next year because it's impossible to predict.
9.  Occasionally, I sign mediocre players with high WE/Potential knowing I will redshirt them, but it's rare.
10.  I am just as likely to redshirt offense as defense.  I have also ended up redshirting 2 guys at the same position and just not recruiting it at all the next year, although that's very rare.
1/10/2013 4:25 PM
Posted by scrodz on 1/9/2013 4:34:00 PM (view original):
Don't you take a WE hit?
I promise FR starts to high end WRs and RBs and DBs, start them as freshmen (where they gain like 10 to 15 WE, they lose between 7 and 10 WE the following season but the FR start gets them improving a lot more than redshirtting them as FR and then having them start as SO (also easier to win recruiting battles against human coaches with that FR start promise.
1/10/2013 9:44 PM
Posted by trombumpet on 1/10/2013 9:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by scrodz on 1/9/2013 4:34:00 PM (view original):
Don't you take a WE hit?
I promise FR starts to high end WRs and RBs and DBs, start them as freshmen (where they gain like 10 to 15 WE, they lose between 7 and 10 WE the following season but the FR start gets them improving a lot more than redshirtting them as FR and then having them start as SO (also easier to win recruiting battles against human coaches with that FR start promise.
I'm not going to argue, but I don't see the math working out in your favor...unless you only have guys with really awesome WE already...otherwise, you stunt their growth.   At least thats what I'm thinking....
1/10/2013 11:25 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.