Asleep at the wheel Topic

The good news:  Just won a D3 Championship in Dobie at Colorado.

The bad news:  I abandoned this team 2 seasons ago.  I did not recruit, set lineups, nor gameplan for 2 entire seasons.

This has got to be a major strike against WIS and the engine if i can abandon a team 2 seasons ago and still win a NC.  No way that should happen right?  No less a record setting season in a few offensive statistical catagories.  I realize that its D3, and that the world is only 20% populated, but come on WIS ; how should this be possible?

1/16/2013 4:26 PM
That is ******* ridiculous!!!

Norbert, for the love of God, get the new engine out!

1/16/2013 4:57 PM
This is the second one of these I have heard of.... BETA....BETA....BETA!
1/16/2013 5:04 PM
Posted by agers on 1/16/2013 4:26:00 PM (view original):
The good news:  Just won a D3 Championship in Dobie at Colorado.

The bad news:  I abandoned this team 2 seasons ago.  I did not recruit, set lineups, nor gameplan for 2 entire seasons.

This has got to be a major strike against WIS and the engine if i can abandon a team 2 seasons ago and still win a NC.  No way that should happen right?  No less a record setting season in a few offensive statistical catagories.  I realize that its D3, and that the world is only 20% populated, but come on WIS ; how should this be possible?

Well, that's not surprising to me. I don't tweak my team gameplan much during the season, except maybe when I'm playing against a team running the bone, I'll use a little more 4-4 sets.

You're a very successful coach and presumably a terrific recruiter with a team full of SR/JR talent you recruited.

Colorado will probably win 9 or 10 next season too.

Your fingerprint is all over that team, dude. There are also a few coaches in both college and pro football that inherited stocked teams and had success despite having what later turned out to be mediocre coaching skills.
1/16/2013 5:25 PM
It actually makes a lot of sense why you won.  Setting people as starters only gets a little bit of extra WE, and even then, 12 players were marked as starters of the 24 possible.  On top of that, in your 2 abandoned years, you only had 15 AC Scout signings, so you were playing in an underpopulated D3 league with 35 upperclassmen.  And it isn't like you changed your gameplan to something unrealistic.  I am an active coach, and I haven't changed my gameplans in several seasons either.  Why mess with something if it works?
1/16/2013 5:29 PM
But guys, we're talking NATIONAL CHAMPIONS here, not a good season, or conference champions......but the best of the best.  No way this should happen.  Other teams work on their teams season after season, recruit every season, set their depth charts, etc, just to get beat by a team that hasn't had any human input for 2 entire seasons!!

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.

1/16/2013 5:45 PM
Posted by bhouska on 1/16/2013 5:45:00 PM (view original):
But guys, we're talking NATIONAL CHAMPIONS here, not a good season, or conference champions......but the best of the best.  No way this should happen.  Other teams work on their teams season after season, recruit every season, set their depth charts, etc, just to get beat by a team that hasn't had any human input for 2 entire seasons!!

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.

+1
1/16/2013 5:50 PM
Agreed. Is it surprising? No.
Is it "right"? No!
1/16/2013 5:53 PM
You forgot to mention you played a schedule of all SIMs (up until playoff time) and that you run an all pass offense (nobody at the D-3 level knows how to stop that whether you have an input or not). I don't see much of an issue here.
1/17/2013 11:12 AM
I see it as a problem, but nothing earth shaking! If the world was 80% full it would REALLY bother me, or if it was DI, but in DIII, talent is going to rule, and being the recruiter you are talent is one thing you had plenty of!
1/17/2013 2:09 PM
This is the second time I've heard of this happening its complete BS....
1/17/2013 2:42 PM
This is the second time I've heard of this happening its complete BS....
1/17/2013 2:42 PM
We've got a third one happening in Leahy right now; nghatak's Buena Vista team is into the third round of the playoffs after being abandoned after last season.
1/17/2013 3:42 PM
I never set gameplans nor depth charts mostly all the time. I didnt even know I have been in at Army for i think 4 seasons now and never set a depth chart. Motly all my gameplans are default gameplans wil thrips and proset as the formations and default defense with 3-4 and nickel formations there. I dont spend much time in it at all. However I got an all run team going opn right now that is doing pretty damn well. But like someone said I wont get them out of the first round if I even make the playoffs.
1/17/2013 4:43 PM
Posted by chaneyj2 on 1/17/2013 11:12:00 AM (view original):
You forgot to mention you played a schedule of all SIMs (up until playoff time) and that you run an all pass offense (nobody at the D-3 level knows how to stop that whether you have an input or not). I don't see much of an issue here.
I didn't schedule anything -- would it have made a difference anyways?  The talent differential is not that great among the top 20 teams.  You would think that gameplanning would matter more than it does.
1/18/2013 2:11 AM
12 Next ▸
Asleep at the wheel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.