1st cycle recruiting Topic

how many AC scouting trips should I make the first cycle? I got around a15K budget working with 5 schollys
1/27/2013 9:48 PM
Given that you taking over a 7-win team and have very little money, you need to be very careful on the first cycle. Recruiting for a small class is the hardest way to recruit. You can't afford even one battle. Personally, I would avoid even battling SIMs. You can blow through 15k in a heart beat. And forget recruiting at a distance with no playoff money to play with. I'd send no more than about 10 AC trips at a distance of no more than 250 miles or so. I'd try to get 2-3 guys in that range to turn green and then wait a couple of cycles before committing the rest of the money. You're in a very weak position, so be careful. And keep in mind at your vision level there will be plenty of passable recruits left over at the end to put together a good class. I would want about 10k or so left to spend after the first cycle is finished.
1/27/2013 10:50 PM
well... i have a list of 5 guys i am trying to get... the closest being 60 mile (1,000 in 7 AC trips) and furthest being 352 miles (2000 in 7 AC trips)   so giving each player 7 AC trips is already costing me literally half my budget (along with scholly offers)
1/27/2013 11:09 PM
Personally I wouldn't send that many AC trip on either. If you think these are must get players on the first cycle send 1-2 AC trips and then CV for the rest of your budget on that player. And unless you are certain that no human player is going to jump on the one 352 miles that's pushing the limit on getting him. If you drop 2k on him and he ends up yellow with you and another human player, you are in trouble.

Quick question: Are you using YATZR's recruiting tool?
1/27/2013 11:19 PM
At D3, in your position..ONE AC scout only the first cycle.  You will probably get one or two guys turn green then you can continue to focus on undecideds until you get your class full...then use the remaining money to upgrade.
1/28/2013 4:58 AM
thanks for the response guys... Aneratergos, I am absolutely using YATZR's tools and information.
1/28/2013 8:56 AM
In your situation (and this goes against conventional wisdom and I would not recommend it all the time), but I might take $500-$1000 and spam 50-100 undecideds (only undecideds, not even SIM guys) with 1 (and only 1) AC phone call. You might get 6-8 of them to turn green which would allow you to be more aggressive with the rest of your money. Given that you are so short on cash, you have got to find a couple players that will sign cheaply. A good number of undecideds will go green with just a call. They may not be the best players in your vision, but they will keep you from ending up with a bunch of SIMAI guys. Just remember, to sign them, you'll still need a AC scout to them. Good luck. 

1/28/2013 10:38 AM
Posted by aneratergos on 1/28/2013 10:38:00 AM (view original):
In your situation (and this goes against conventional wisdom and I would not recommend it all the time), but I might take $500-$1000 and spam 50-100 undecideds (only undecideds, not even SIM guys) with 1 (and only 1) AC phone call. You might get 6-8 of them to turn green which would allow you to be more aggressive with the rest of your money. Given that you are so short on cash, you have got to find a couple players that will sign cheaply. A good number of undecideds will go green with just a call. They may not be the best players in your vision, but they will keep you from ending up with a bunch of SIMAI guys. Just remember, to sign them, you'll still need a AC scout to them. Good luck. 

I do this all the time. It's a crap shoot, but it's just $500, so why not? Just use two guidelines: only send them to recruits you WANT to sign (shoot for high WE in case his potential turns out to be low, no OLs with 5 STR, etc), and keep enough cash in reserve that you'll be able to sign them. You do have to have a face-to-face contact to sign any recruit,  but  you can run an AC Scout to China for $700. Just hold of on scouting him until right before signing in case someone evil (closer or with more cash) starts recruiting late.

P.S. Painfully learned lesson: It costs $100 per recruit to offer a scholarship. Don't end up with green recruits and no money left to offer the scholly.

1/28/2013 11:21 AM (edited)
My own personal question (since it pertains to this) is how many do you send in the D-1A? I've been in D-1A for a few seasons now but still haven't quite caught onto the gist of recruiting yet for that level.
1/28/2013 11:18 AM
Posted by chaneyj2 on 1/28/2013 11:18:00 AM (view original):
My own personal question (since it pertains to this) is how many do you send in the D-1A? I've been in D-1A for a few seasons now but still haven't quite caught onto the gist of recruiting yet for that level.
As a general rule of thumb, I'd hit 2-3 for each scholarship, plus any within your 180 (or further, depending on how far out in the boonies you are) that meet your requirements. Just be aware of your position in the food chain so you don't blow your budget in recruiting battles with the big dogs.
1/28/2013 11:27 AM
Posted by scrodz on 1/28/2013 11:21:00 AM (view original):
Posted by aneratergos on 1/28/2013 10:38:00 AM (view original):

I do this all the time. It's a crap shoot, but it's just $500, so why not? Just use two guidelines: only send them to recruits you WANT to sign (shoot for high WE in case his potential turns out to be low, no OLs with 5 STR, etc), and keep enough cash in reserve that you'll be able to sign them. You do have to have a face-to-face contact to sign any recruit,  but  you can run an AC Scout to China for $700. Just hold of on scouting him until right before signing in case someone evil (closer or with more cash) starts recruiting late.

P.S. Painfully learned lesson: It costs $100 per recruit to offer a scholarship. Don't end up with green recruits and no money left to offer the scholly.

What he said.
1/28/2013 1:33 PM
once recruit goes green, what are the odd's of if nobody else intervenes between now and signing day that he signs?
1/28/2013 3:34 PM
Any more than 1 scout is a waste at any level.  The AC Scout for me is to find out potential.  I don't need to send any more than 1 to find that out.
1/28/2013 3:38 PM
so once i have my recruits gone green, whats the best tatic to making sure they sign?? just leaving them alone until signing period comes or they start considering somebody else?
1/28/2013 3:41 PM
Correct.

1/28/2013 4:19 PM
12 Next ▸
1st cycle recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.