Changing hats - the beta update Topic

Posted by bhouska on 2/4/2013 5:35:00 PM (view original):
The #1 thing I have got to see, or I'm out the door, is a true cause and effect relationship between attributes and results.

I don't wanna see a 50/50/50 RB outgain a 70/70/70 RB in a game.  Or a team of 50/50 OL pushing around a team of 70/70 DL.

I can agree with the DL, but the RB outgaining the other RB is plausible with the right line matchups.
2/5/2013 12:10 PM
Posted by ahrens on 2/5/2013 12:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bhouska on 2/4/2013 5:35:00 PM (view original):
The #1 thing I have got to see, or I'm out the door, is a true cause and effect relationship between attributes and results.

I don't wanna see a 50/50/50 RB outgain a 70/70/70 RB in a game.  Or a team of 50/50 OL pushing around a team of 70/70 DL.

I can agree with the DL, but the RB outgaining the other RB is plausible with the right line matchups.
Okay, you guys are missing the point, if one RB is 20 points below another RB in all the core attributes, chances are the whole team is 20 points behind the other team, therefore it shouldn't be happening.  You're not gonna get 2 top 20 teams battling each other in the playoffs and one of their RB's are 20 points below in SPD,STR,ELU but all their other players are comparable.

2/5/2013 12:40 PM
Work with me here.  ;)
2/5/2013 12:40 PM
LOL :-) I agree with you.
2/5/2013 2:56 PM
And a 20 point difference is literally like having 1aa players vs. div 3 players.  There should be no upsets at that wide of a gap.
2/5/2013 7:01 PM
The big thing I'm going to be looking for is the ability to try and take advantage or position match ups. Example would be gameplanning to try and run to the edge if your running backs have much better speed than opposing linebackers or even the ability for mismatches with a tight end. Defensively I want see that you can gameplan for what you think your opponent will target but in turning leaving yourself vulnerable in other areas.
2/5/2013 7:33 PM

I am mostly looking for a couple of things...  Passing out of typical running formations ND Box) is not ridiculously effective, same with rushing out of (SG).  Just nothing ridiculous anywhere, I know as a game the whole goal is to use the game as effectively as possible just no "derp" moments

2/5/2013 7:45 PM
Posted by trombumpet on 2/5/2013 7:45:00 PM (view original):

I am mostly looking for a couple of things...  Passing out of typical running formations ND Box) is not ridiculously effective, same with rushing out of (SG).  Just nothing ridiculous anywhere, I know as a game the whole goal is to use the game as effectively as possible just no "derp" moments

The pistol formation is "running out of the shotgun". The 49ers made it to the Super Bowl running out of the shotgun ... why would we not want running out of the shotgun?
2/6/2013 12:16 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 2/6/2013 12:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by trombumpet on 2/5/2013 7:45:00 PM (view original):

The pistol formation is "running out of the shotgun". The 49ers made it to the Super Bowl running out of the shotgun ... why would we not want running out of the shotgun?
I don't know what others think but I think SG should at least have the option of a RB as well.

Oh, and yes I would like the option to be able to run out of SG as well.

2/6/2013 12:22 PM
I too think running out of the shotgun can be effective, and should be IF the match ups AND formations are right. In other words if you have a RB or even a WR that has 90 speed, 85 elus. & 77 strength, you're in the shotgun and the defense is in the nickle or dime, you should be able to break some big runs. The consistency probably shouldn't be there but as I said we should be able to bust a big play here and there. Thoughts?
2/6/2013 1:32 PM
I have one of my teams that plays trips and SG and runs WR out of SG. The SF set-up was a variety of option with multiple RB and WR sets. Running out of SG and trips should be preserved just as passing out of ND box and WB. The difference should be that to correctly run out of those formations, the defensive set should be weak and allow the possibility. SO: SG vs 4/4, 5/2, 4/3 not so good, SG vs .05 and .10 much better. WB pass vs .05 and .10 - poor. WB vs 5/2, 4/4 better - especially if you can target 2-3 RB in the passing mix and defense is playing run.
2/6/2013 8:02 PM
As I was getting ready to start analyzing the match-ups I already found one aspect that concerns me. According to the "Gridiron 101" formations, in the 5 - 2, Nickel and Dime defenses the 2 LB on the field are OLB. The positioning for these LB is playing INSIDE the DE. Shouldn't these be ILB?
2/6/2013 8:15 PM
Pistol is not what we have for SG in this game...  SG here is empty back field... and even even Tim Tebow and Collin Klein had running backs.   currently running out of the SG has WRs in motion (apparently) or QBs and find me a modern offense that does that.    What 0big is saying is what I am getting at.   Right at the transition to this engine people were passing out of the ND Box and were blowing away passing records... that is ridiculous.  I don't want to stop use of formations in certain instances, I just don't want to see 800 yard passing games out of the NDbox or 400 yard rushing games out of the current SG set up.  Match ups or no match ups  those don't reflect reality.   Give me an example and I'll back off, but until then it is ridiculous.
2/6/2013 9:40 PM
With as much time as Norbert is putting into the game I am going to assume that we are back to math equations rather than lottery tickets.  I am going to see to what degree matchups play.  Like do killer te's dominate a game with poor lb's trying to cover and is it enough to win consistently? 

Is the 3 yards and a cloud of dust all run going to work again like in gd.1.  Can my OL with a speed of 4 still average 25 yards per kickoff return? LOL

I honestly do have the feeling that run domination will return and we will be looking at a functionality of gd 1 with alot more bells and whistles. IMHO
2/7/2013 2:21 AM
"I honestly do have the feeling that run domination will return and we will be looking at a functionality of gd 1 with alot more bells and whistles."

Not saying you are wrong, but I sure hope you're wrong! I honestly believe we're going to see the best of both worlds...or engines in this case. I don't think we'll see the "3 yds & a cloud of dust" offense winning NT every season, but I do believe it can be effective. I also believe, with the right players in the right places, an all pass offense will be able to win. I think it will all boil down to having the right players in the right places to make plays and game planning. I also think the biggest difference we'll see, by far, is the fact that a better coach that will spend more time game planning will have a better chance at getting the win.  BUT...I also see that as something coaches will complain about. Just like in real life, and possibly for the first time in GD, I believe a great game coach that may not be a great recruiter or is at a non BCS school an unable to get the top recruits, will be able to win National Championships, and possibly even build a dynasty. But as I said I can see some coaches really having a problem with this!
2/7/2013 9:11 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Changing hats - the beta update Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.