SURVIVOR XII: Ahrens Crowned Champion Topic

Posted by psap on 4/22/2013 11:48:00 PM (view original):
i still kind of disagreed -- but then i found this:

http://survivor.wikia.com/wiki/Hidden_Immunity_Idol

See 2nd paragraph of RULES.  OK.  Nice job as usual guys.

This situation actually came into play last season during the final 9 vote.  Arfy and Dubs tied.  Arfy couldn't use his idol in the re-vote, or pass it to another player.  He ended up getting eliminated in the re-vote.
4/23/2013 12:00 AM
If I had an immunity idol for every time Tyson posted he was drunk in this thread, I could make it to the final 4 without question.
4/23/2013 1:34 AM
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE CHALLENGE:
2:30pm today -- Barcelona (Spain) at Bayern Munich (Germany)

Down to the final 4 - Leg 1 today, leg 2 next week -- Home and Home, best aggregate score advances to the final.
Probably the two best teams in the world now.  For all you tards who hate soccer without knowing why you hate soccer ignore this.
For anyone who enjoys competitive sport played by the best in their game this game (and especially Leg 2 next week) should not be missed.

BTW the US rights to broadcast the EPL were won by NBC for $250m a few months ago (yeh because they don't have the NFL).  That's a lot of money to spend in a country that doesn't really give a $hit about this sport.  As opposed to the way FOX/EPSN has handled the sport the last few years, broadcasting just 3 or 4 games a week out of a possible 12, NBC will be broadcasting every game, every week next season.  A total of 380 games.  Get used to this "pus&y" sport being on everywhere.
4/23/2013 7:37 AM (edited)
I didn't realize they were going to be broadcasting 380 games. That's awesome. Maybe over exposure to the sport will get people on board with it. I think that is one of the reasons it's not widely accepted. There just isn't enough opportunity to view it.
4/23/2013 7:31 AM
Posted by ghutton9 on 4/23/2013 7:31:00 AM (view original):
I didn't realize they were going to be broadcasting 380 games. That's awesome. Maybe over exposure to the sport will get people on board with it. I think that is one of the reasons it's not widely accepted. There just isn't enough opportunity to view it.
Yeah, this is exactly what Ameica needs to fall in love with soccer...380 games played at the highest level...except more that half are snooze-fiestas finishing 1-nil, fearuring overpaid players flopping at the drop of a hat, fans overtly displaying racial intolerance and its practice being celebrated as "home team pride" (well practiced in Philly and Boston {more on that in a different thread}), and a never-ending regular season that makes MLB's look like a sprint.

All the makings of a love-affair waiting for a spark or better yet $250mm of NBC's green (this is the same network this handing over the prized late-night slot to JIMMY FALLON. Yet, I for one will be first in line to start an EPL FFL and DVD the games.
4/23/2013 8:25 AM
"prized late-night slot" ??

what year is it, 1987 ?  who watches tv news or late night anymore who is under the age of 55 ?

But i do want to hear more on your Boston "home team pride" theory as a former 20 year resident there, but sadly i think we'd be in agreement on this.

Despite the fact that Luis Suarez is a certified racist from Uraguay, his latest Mike Tyson antics don't dimish his "watchability" as the nut job has crazy skills and is captivating when he is able to stay on the field.  The NBA isn't the only place to find highly paid social misfits headed for crashes of epic proportions after their playing days are over.

4/23/2013 9:24 AM (edited)
Of course if you want to look at it from the good side -- just watch Barcelona today -- likely the best team to ever play the game, and the best player to play the game.

Over half their talent is home grown - they don't have to go into the transfer market like other teams.  Players demand to come there.
They just accomplished an incredible feat -- 300 straight games with more time of possession than their opponents - that is a sick stat for anyone who has ever played or appreciates this game.
Oh, and they are the only team in the world that doesn't sell the rights to their jerseys.  Certainly one of the top 3 most valuable jersey ad opportunities -- but they give that space away on their jersey every year to a charity.

If you want to find the bad in any sport, profession, or govt it is there for the finding.  But there is also lots of great stuff going on that should be appreciated.  If you've never watched soccer than this Barcelona team is the team to watch, and the Champions League are the games to watch (they essentially are the post-season).

4/23/2013 9:26 AM (edited)
Posted by psap on 4/23/2013 9:26:00 AM (view original):
Of course if you want to look at it from the good side -- just watch Barcelona today -- likely the best team to ever play the game, and the best player to play the game.

Over half their talent is home grown - they don't have to go into the transfer market like other teams.  Players demand to come there.
They just accomplished an incredible feat -- 300 straight games with more time of possession than their opponents - that is a sick stat for anyone who has ever played or appreciates this game.
Oh, and they are the only team in the world that doesn't sell the rights to their jerseys.  Certainly one of the top 3 most valuable jersey ad opportunities -- but they give that space away on their jersey every year to a charity.

If you want to find the bad in any sport, profession, or govt it is there for the finding.  But there is also lots of great stuff going on that should be appreciated.  If you've never watched soccer than this Barcelona team is the team to watch, and the Champions League are the games to watch (they essentially are the post-season).

You are making my point - Barcelona is a GREAT team - the 1927 Yankees type of talent grouping. However, who's going to watch Wiggan v Norwich City? The only way the NFL gets by putting out the Raiders versus Lions in December is that lure of illegal gambling that drives ratings/ad revenue. America does not have an affinity to bet on European football.
4/23/2013 9:53 AM
No argument there.  You couldn't pay me to watch a game that involves Stoke City.  But i still like it, and respect the fact that they come to play like the 1995 Knicks.

But of course i skip the bulk of the NBA regular season also, and no way anyone else is watching Jacksonville vs. Kansas City if it weren't for betting or fantasy football.

But once real sports fans begin to watch a guy like Garreth Bale or Jack Wilshire, they'll find an interest where they didn't know they had one.  Hell even getting a chance to watch a guy like Clint Dempsey play on a team where he isn't handicapped like he is on the US Team is fun to watch not only how good he is, but to see how tough a effing SOB he is.

4/23/2013 10:15 AM (edited)
Wiltshire will end up with "Sir" in front of his name and add a second star to England's jersey in the next 10-14 years
4/23/2013 10:45 AM
So who flipped last night?
4/23/2013 11:49 AM
Posted by sjurat on 4/23/2013 10:45:00 AM (view original):
Wiltshire will end up with "Sir" in front of his name and add a second star to England's jersey in the next 10-14 years
Yah. If they start allowing the Welsh to play with the Three Lions (Bale, Ramsey, Joe Allen).
4/23/2013 1:00 PM
Posted by psap on 4/23/2013 1:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sjurat on 4/23/2013 10:45:00 AM (view original):
Yah. If they start allowing the Welsh to play with the Three Lions (Bale, Ramsey, Joe Allen).
Isn't Wales just a pile of coal?  Kinda like our West Virginia or Eastern Kentucky?

Then again, like Horvie's wife/gf tells him on nightly basis, size doesn't matter.  Take Uruguay has less population then the City of Los Angeles (or better yet less then 50% of the London area). 

It all comes down to youth coaching,  Uruguay have more certified soccer coaches then all of England.  And this is not just a soccer thing.  Sweden, which traditionally performs at or above the US in U-whatever international hockey tourneys - has more certified youth coaches then the us.
4/23/2013 1:46 PM
Yup.  And England turns the reigns over to Roy Hodgson?  That dog don't hunt.
4/23/2013 1:50 PM
let me just say I think adam lind will get a homerun tonight.
4/23/2013 3:05 PM
◂ Prev 1...50|51|52|53|54...95 Next ▸
SURVIVOR XII: Ahrens Crowned Champion Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.