SURVIVOR XII: Ahrens Crowned Champion Topic

Adieu.  It's been a lot of fun.  Call me what you will - but i had a blast and played the GAME the way i like to do most things. 
MY WAY.

Good luck to all of you.  No funny business on the boards from me now that i am out.  See you at the Finale. 
Hope you have good answers to my questions.

5/22/2013 11:18 PM
Posted by horvie78 on 5/22/2013 11:10:00 PM (view original):
VOTING RESULTS

2 votes for polabonez
4 votes for psap

Psap finishes in 6th place and joins the jury
Awww.....I was rooting for ya!
5/23/2013 12:54 AM
Posted by ahrens on 5/22/2013 7:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by caesari on 5/22/2013 7:35:00 PM (view original):
No one cares who wins second. There is some food for thought.

WHo was the runner up in the 1914 election of Woodrow Wilson? See? That's my point. And don't tell me you know, cuz we all know you googled it.

Not sure what my point is here, but providing ammunition. Either side is welcome to it.
1914 didn't have an election.  1912 did, and Theodore Roosevelt was 2nd I believe.  Also Howard Taft was in the election (he got 3rd).  Or if you meant the election of 1916, no idea who was 2nd there.
HEY!! Not just a hat rack, I see!! 

And, uh, Pola.... middle finger back. 
5/23/2013 4:03 PM
Challenge #20- Managing your own team

We are going to use the MLB games for Saturday in this challenge. That means that all picks must be turned into the survivorxii account by the start of the first MLB game tomorrow. 

What I need the remaining survivors to do is to send me a lineup of 9 MLB players. Any 9. I'm not asking for all positions to be filled. I just want 9 players in the order that you want them to bat. If you want to turn in 9 firstbaseman, or 9 outfielders, then that is fine. Heck, you could even turn in 9 pitchers or DH's. 

The game:
Here's how the game will work. For each player, I will use their box score from Saturdays game to determine what they do for you. If you bat Joey Votto leadoff and he singles in his 1st AB Saturday, then he singles for you. If you put Miguel Cabrera second and he homers, then he and Votto will score. Once a player reaches base then he is governed by "ghost man rules". Meaning if a player behind him singles, then he moves 1 base, a double moves them 2 bases, a triple obviously clears the bases in front of them. Each team will bat until there are 3 outs. When there are 3 outs, the bases will clear and the next inning will start. This will continue for each team until they can no longer bat, meaning that all players on the team have run out of official bats in a ML game. It is possible to have less than 9 innings worth of play, but it is also possible to have more than 9 innings.

Other rules: 
-If a batter in your lineup is removed or runs out of real game at bats, then that spot in the order takes an out. If there is a rain out or a game is not made official due to rain, then that player receives an out for all possible times batting. 
-If a player reaches base and then steals in that same ML at bat, then he will be awarded the base in this as well. It will be awarded before the next batter only. The base also must be open. If it is not, then the steal will not happen.

I understand that this is a tough challenge and it's possible that scores will be low. When scores are low, the chances of ties are much more possible. If, everyone ties, then this challenge will roll over to Sunday and everyone will be able to turn in another list of players. Otherwise, the first tiebreaker will be the team with the most hits. The second tie breaker will be the team with the most extra base hits. The last tie breaker will be order received. 
5/24/2013 12:44 PM (edited)
Steals don't matter, right?
5/24/2013 12:28 PM
Hmm. Interesting twist that didn't cross my mind. I'll allow it. Steals will matter. I'll add it to the other rules. 
5/24/2013 12:42 PM
I think this is gonna be a major snoozefest the rest of the way. About the only thing to watch for now is to see who will brown-nose their way to stand at polabones side at the end.
5/24/2013 8:14 PM (edited)
Posted by golfpro71 on 5/24/2013 8:14:00 PM (view original):
I think this is gonna be a major snoozefest the rest of the way. About the only thing to watch for now is to see who will brown-nose their way to stand at polabones side at the end.
Snooze fest? It's all about execution.
5/24/2013 8:17 PM
Why doesn't mlee just post? I mean c'mon
5/25/2013 10:45 AM
Or da_goat..... Or......
5/25/2013 5:05 PM
Posted by ahrens on 5/22/2013 7:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by caesari on 5/22/2013 7:35:00 PM (view original):
No one cares who wins second. There is some food for thought.

WHo was the runner up in the 1914 election of Woodrow Wilson? See? That's my point. And don't tell me you know, cuz we all know you googled it.

Not sure what my point is here, but providing ammunition. Either side is welcome to it.
1914 didn't have an election.  1912 did, and Theodore Roosevelt was 2nd I believe.  Also Howard Taft was in the election (he got 3rd).  Or if you meant the election of 1916, no idea who was 2nd there.
In fairness to caesari, since he gave a non presidential year, he could have just as easily meant the 1916 Woodrow Wilson election, which unlike the one before it it didn't see Teddy Roosevelt fail to get the Republican nomination, start his own party and thus break a near stranglehold for the Republicans on the top office by splitting the Republican vote. (For the record, Republicans won the office in 1896, 1900, 1904, 1908, 1920, 1924 and 1928, losing only the Wilson years until the Great Depression allowed FDR to come to power.

Now, who came in second in 1916, that is a tough question. Even I had to look it up, largely because it bugged me that I didn't know. That said, what it really proves is that different years have different levels on importance on the election. Much like I remember polabonez finishing second to bellatrix in this game, but couldn't tell you for the life of me who mr_mojo beat.

Just going off the top of my head, though, Presidential losers I can do without looking it up.

1800: John Adams
1824: Andrew Jackson
1828: John Quincy Adams
1856: Fairbanks (first republican nominee)
1860: Stephen Douglas, Bell and Breckinridge
1876: Samuel Tilden (in an election he really won but three states pretended he didn't
1888: Grover Cleveland
1892: Benjamin Harrison
1896: William Jennings Bryan (Cross of Gold Speech)
1912; Teddy Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Eugene V. Debs
1932: Herbert Hoover
1948: Thomas Dewey (No matter what the papers in Chicago said)
1960: Richard Nixon
1964: Barry Goldwater
1972: George McGovern (After the Nixon campaign managed to kill the Muskie campaign early)
1976; Gerald Ford
1980: Jimmy Carter and some third party guy named Anderson
1984: Walter Mondale
1988: Micahel Dukakis
1992: George HW Bush
1996: Bob Dole
2000: Al Gore and Ralph Nader 
2004: John Kerry
2008: John McCain
2012: Mitt Romney

(Obviously, in my lifetime, its less about significance than me remembering the elections)
5/25/2013 8:28 PM
A few scores are in.

sjurat

Leading off Votto k's, Miguel Cabrera singles, Choo flies out and Trout flies out to end the first.
Davis leads off the 2nd with a double. Harper strikes out. Ryan Bruan doubles home Davis. Tulo grounds out. Santana strikes out to end the inning. 1 run
Votto strikes out to start the 3rd. Cabrera grounds out. Choo strikes out.
The 4th starts with a Trout walk and he steals second. Davis flies out. Harper singles, Trout to third. Braun K's. Tulo doubles, Trout scores, Harper to 3rd. Santana singles, Harper scores, Tulo to third. Votto walks, bases loaded. Cabrera strikes out to end the inning. 2 runs score, 3 total.
Choo starts the 5th with a K. Trout grounds out. Davis grounds out.
Harper flies out to open the 6th. Braun grounds out. Tulo flies out. 
Santana strikes out to start the 7th. Votto flies out. Cabrera flies out.
To open the 8th Choo walks. Trout singles, Choo to second. Davis strikes out. Harper walks, bases loaded. Braun strikes out. Tulo grounds out to end the threat.
Santana starts the 9th with a K. Votto is out 2 and Cabrera is out 3. 
Choo is out to open the 10th, Trout k's, and Davis is out.
The 11th opens with a Harper K. Braun is out 2. Tulo steps up and homers. Santana is out to end the game. 1 run scored. 4 total

sjurat's team scores 4 runs.
5/25/2013 10:36 PM
shoe 21

McCutcheon hits a Home Run to open the game. Harper K's. Trout flies out. Cabrera singles. Ellsbury walks, Cabrera to second. Beltran flies out to end the inning. 1 run.
Davis doubles. Pedroia K's. Votto K's. McCutcheon K's.
Harper opens the 3rd with a single. Trout singles, Harper to second. Cabrera is out 1. Ellsbury flies out. Beltran ends the threat with a fly out.
Davis starts the 4th with a fly out. Pedroia doubles. Votto K's. McCutcheon grounds out to end the inning.
Leading off the 5th Harper flies out. Trout grounds out. Cabrera K's. 
In the 6th Ellsbury starts with a ground out. Beltran grounds out. Davis grounds out.
The 7th starts with a walk by Pedroia. Votto walks, Pedroia to second. McCuthceon singles, bases loaded. Harper walks, Pedroia scores, bases still loaded. Trout singles, Votto scores, bases still loaded. Cabrera flies out. Ellsbury walks, McCutcheon scores, bases loaded. Beltran is out 2. Davis K's to end the inning. 3 runs scored. 4 total.
Pedroia opens the 8th with a fly out. Votto flies out. McCutcheon is out 3. 
Harper strikes out to open the 9th. Trout k's. Cabrera is out 3.
The 10th opens with a K by Ellsbury. Beltran is out 2. Davis is out 3. 
Pedroia hits a double to leadoff the 11th. Votto is out 1. McCutcheon is out 2. Harper is out 3.

shoe21's team scores 4runs.
5/25/2013 10:44 PM
mb625

Choo lead off with a flyout. Mauer hits a homer. Votto k's. Cabrera singles. Davis doubles, Cabrera to third. Trout flies out. 1 run scores.
Pedroia K's to open the 2nd. Santana K's. Tulo grounds out.
Choo K's opening the 3rd. Mauer singles. Votto K's. Cabrera grounds out to end the inning.
Davis flies out to open the 4th. Trout walks then steals 2nd. Pedroia doubles, Trout scores. Santana singles, Pedroia to third. Tulo doubles, Pedroia scores, Santana to third. Choo K's. Mauer singles, Santana scores, Tulo to third. Votto walks, bases loaded. Cabrera K's to end the threat. 3 runs score, 4 total.
Davis opens the 5th with a ground out. Trout grounds out. Pedroia walks. Santana K's.
The 6th starts with a Tulo fly out. Choo walks. Mauer K's. Votto flies out.
Opening the 7th is Cabrera with a fly out. Davis K's. Trout singles. Pedroia flies out.
Santana starts the 8th with a K. Tulo grounds out. Choo is out 3.
The 9th is Mauer, Votto and Cabrera out in order.
The 10th opens with Davis as out 1. Trout K's. Pedroia doubles. Santana is out 3.
The 11th opens with a Tulo homer. Choo, Mauer and Votto end the game in order. 1 run. 5 total.

mb625's team scores 5 runs.
5/25/2013 10:52 PM
Dubs, also Strom Thurmond in 1948. Only reason I know that is because I did a research paper on the '48 election in high school.
5/25/2013 10:56 PM
◂ Prev 1...82|83|84|85|86...95 Next ▸
SURVIVOR XII: Ahrens Crowned Champion Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.