OT - Boston area Protective Service diversity Topic

Is the Regional Head Helen Keller?

Granted they did a wonderful job this past week - but a quick question?

For a Top-5 city...where were all the brothers (outside the Mayor I saw 1, yes 1, African-American protective services personnel.

Any comments/rebuttals?
4/23/2013 8:30 AM
I saw a couple of cops here and there but yes. For the most part you are right. Not much of any others except white boys. That is odd.
4/23/2013 3:59 PM

BOSTON =MOST RACIST CITY IN THE U.S.OUTSIDE THE DEEP SOUTH

4/23/2013 4:08 PM
Once again the race card is dealt out of the deck. I guess I need to feel guilty for being white.

Every ethnic group is "racist". But it only seems to be a cultural evil when its applied to the white race.

I worked for a band of native americans or Indians, I worked in their Biology Department. Does anybody think that they are "racist"? Is shouting out "white *******" not racist? Or ultimately discharging me of my job because I wasn't Indian, is that racist?

But I guess "racism" is something only whites can do. And I suppose I am still guilty of enslaving colored people 300 years ago.

4/23/2013 4:47 PM
Posted by sjurat on 4/23/2013 8:30:00 AM (view original):

For a Top-5 city...where were all the brothers (outside the Mayor I saw 1, yes 1, African-American protective services personnel.

Any comments/rebuttals?
Basically who to hell cares if someone is black or white? It shouldn't matter we are all human. Red or yellow, black or white we are precious in His sight...

But where are all the whites in the NBA or the NFL? Many NBA teams you do well to find one. Including the coaches. But this is OK I guess.

4/23/2013 5:00 PM
Posted by jibe on 4/23/2013 5:00:00 PM (view original):

Any comments/rebuttals?
Basically who to hell cares if someone is black or white? It shouldn't matter we are all human. Red or yellow, black or white we are precious in His sight...

But where are all the whites in the NBA or the NFL? Many NBA teams you do well to find one. Including the coaches. But this is OK I guess.

It is what it is jibe. And believe me there are plenty of people who care whether you are black, white, red or yellow. And the majority are white. This is a racist world. And you don't have to go back 300 years to see the brutality 1 human has for another. And yes, white people came to this country and just took what they wanted from the indians(native americans) and gave them what they wanted them to have. (took a whole country) and graciously gave them reservations for their very own. Took a whole people to work the land they stole and graciously let them be 2nd class citizens, deprived of any rights, classed as sub-human, segregated for their own good. You are so right, caucasians really had it bad. And if white men could jump, there would be no blacks in the NBA, or the NFL. Do you honestly believe those billionaire white owners of pro franchises want to be making millionaires out of those black players? If you do, then there is some beachfront property in Idaho I can let you have. Cheap.......
4/23/2013 9:50 PM (edited)
Boy, what an impressive display of revisionist history, absurd religious egalitarianism--religious groups foster more social bias, violence, murder and genocide than any others---and preposterous assumptions on the basis of affirmative action nonsense.  There really should be an IQ requirement for posting here. 
4/23/2013 11:44 PM
Posted by jibe on 4/23/2013 5:00:00 PM (view original):

Any comments/rebuttals?

Listen, I just pointed out that it seemed very odd. However, you did bring up the "who cares" aspect, guess what the US Supreme Court does. It just seems out of the realm of reason that other then a deliberate attempt to keep it so, that a major US city such as Boston, with a standard racially mixed population, would have that few non-white protective service personnel.

4/24/2013 12:08 AM
after what happened in Boston -- that's what you notice -- jeez
4/24/2013 1:00 AM
you tend to notice things like because its been  ingrain in people of color to see how many other people of color that you can see at any given moment. We were taught at an early age that there is safety in numbers..
4/24/2013 1:29 AM
WiS is where most of us come to escape the constant din of the progressive liberal non stop public discourse. Can we keep it that way please?
4/24/2013 7:18 AM
Posted by romo7 on 4/24/2013 7:18:00 AM (view original):
WiS is where most of us come to escape the constant din of the progressive liberal non stop public discourse. Can we keep it that way please?
Not a problem - especially from a staunch GOPer from Milwaukee, WI.

4/24/2013 1:39 PM (edited)
The black population rate is 12%  That means that we should see 1 black person for 10 people we see in the US.  Boston has a black population of 24%.  However, Boston is different because up until at least 1950, Boston was 90% white.  So that's only 1.5 - 2 generations to try to build up a strong enough minority to get to prominent jobs.  

To be a police chief, you need 20 years experience.  That means you would have to start being a police officer in 1990.  And you are probably 20ish when you get the job, so born in 1970.  And most of the time, your parents have kids at around 20-25.  Which is 1950.  And Boston was 90% white then.  So it makes sense why so many white were in prominent roles.  It's not racism, just a case of blacks (and other minorities) not having enough time to build up enough qualified professionals.  And before anyone says anything like "the first ones moving there should be qualified." The majority of people moving to big cities are specialized laborers without college degrees.  They aren't the ones from family money that can basically assure their kids of college and a great job, they have to work up to it.  So they need 2-3 generations to do this.  And I understand my numbers were 20 year increments, it was to make it easy.  And don't give me crap that you can have kids at 16 to speed up the process.  That's not the way to build up qualified professionals.

I'm by no means saying that racism isn't there.  But to pull out the race card just because no "brothers" were on the screen without understanding Boston is ridiculous.  I'm all for the most qualified person getting the job, regardless of anything.

/endrant 
4/24/2013 11:02 AM
While ahrens brings up some good background info on the ethinical history of Boston, his assertion would be valid only if migration were not a factor. While it is true BPD requires its members to live within Boston, there's no requirement that a member had to be born in Boston. If the BPD consisted of only people born in Boston then the figures would be of value but since not all Boston born people still live there and not all people living there were born in Boston - birthplace is a non-factor.  And if I remember correctly the BPD YVSF consists of a majority of non-white members.

Just a thought.
4/24/2013 2:57 PM
I am a paramedic in Ohio. One of our state's major cities was known to have a nationally elite EMS service in the 70s and 80s, but then along came affirmative action. Now that same city's EMS service has a poor (at best) reputation. There are certain occupations that I want the most qualified candidates to take precedence over race, gender, religion or sexual orientation, but alas, that is not the case. Now when somebody dials 9-1-1, they can only hope that skilled and competent people are dispatched to their emergency...and not somebody who has their job because a quota needed filled.
4/24/2013 9:16 PM (edited)
12 Next ▸
OT - Boston area Protective Service diversity Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.