GUESS by the numbers Topic

The only aspect of the reports I look into and care about is how my QB recruit is stacked up against other QB recruits. I try to get top 10 recruits at their respective positions. And I like to see who my competitors are based on who they have recruited that are top 25 at their positions.
5/3/2013 10:22 PM
+1
5/3/2013 10:23 PM
Posted by katzphang88 on 5/3/2013 5:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gt_deuce on 5/3/2013 4:36:00 PM (view original):
I just thought of another problem with all the methods of "normalization" I tried (and/or those suggested in this thread):

If you normalize as fatmoose suggested above - a methodology I also tried, but had forgotten about - you're saying that the best QB is always as good as the best RB is always as good as the best WR and etc. This is not true. Additionally, because of the big discrepancy in STDDEV at some positions, you still get a very dissatisfying mix of "Overall Top 50/100" recruits.

I understand what you are saying, but in the way the GUESS ratings are set now is that the best QB can never be numerically better than the best RB or WR because WIS just doesn't give them high enough values. Perhaps in the scheme of the game - the best players out there to recruit are OL or DL (look at the NFL draft) - but in GUESS reports they will never be #1 either. Bob is trying to counter the differences in WIS ratings to make the GUESS ratings more of an indication of the best recruiting class - to make his game within the game more enjoyable to the coaches (Thanks for the effort Bob - I much appreciate it.)

I personally don't look at the player scores very closely. I look at the rankings (overall and in class) to see how they stack up. When version 3.0 rolls out, with all the various player roles, it will be harder to compare values across all positions. The best blocking TE in the WCAA may score lower than the best receiving TE. Do you penalize the team with the best blocking TE? I say give them both XX points for having the #1 and XX-1 for #2 and so on. The values for each season will stay the same, QB, P, K and blocking TE's won't have to be normalized and we can still enjoy Bob's comparisons for bragging rights.

A little sneak peak about GUESS REPORTS 3.0 or whatever - I'll be including ratings for the position roles too.  Team and class scores are going to be based on the base position, I expect, otherwise it's going to take six hours for the scoring algorithm to run.  

The idea of scoring the recruiting class based on the RANK of the recruit, rather than their rating, is interesting.  I can think of a couple of different ways to implement it. I might have to play around with that some this weekend.
5/3/2013 11:59 PM
Bob, everyone loves you and the work you do.....so hopefully all this discussion is good for you and helping you with your efforts.  
5/4/2013 11:23 AM
gtdeuce - it might not be fair to say the best player at one position is AS good as the best player at another...but can't we come up with a baseline for each attrubute at each position and call that a guess score of 70 for arguments sake?

e.g. - a good qb recruit and guess score of 70:
Ath - 50 
Spd - 50
Str - 55 (weighted more)
GI - 60 (" ")
Tech - 60 (" ")

fluctuations above or below the baseline would result in a change in score + or -

just a different way to skin the cat

5/5/2013 2:18 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 5/4/2013 11:23:00 AM (view original):
Bob, everyone loves you and the work you do.....so hopefully all this discussion is good for you and helping you with your efforts.  
Ditto Bob. I hope you realize that my criticisms are based on discretion and not your ratings system.
5/5/2013 5:40 PM
Posted by ermackey on 5/5/2013 5:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by harriswb3 on 5/4/2013 11:23:00 AM (view original):
Ditto Bob. I hope you realize that my criticisms are based on discretion and not your ratings system.
I don't mind criticisms of the rating system, to be honest, as long as constructive alternatives are offered.  
5/5/2013 7:43 PM
I think I have a handle on recruit growth and potential -- what do you guys think?

5/6/2013 12:38 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 5/6/2013 12:38:00 PM (view original):
I think I have a handle on recruit growth and potential -- what do you guys think?

yup looks about right if your Good Will Hunting
5/6/2013 1:21 PM
It's off by .38723450987000245624533% 
5/6/2013 1:48 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 5/6/2013 12:38:00 PM (view original):

Me: Well let me see if I can explain your situation using physics. What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helically around an axis.
Bob: Screwed.
Me: There you go.
5/6/2013 2:01 PM
Well I would hazard a "GUESS" that my QB recruits suck.
5/6/2013 3:28 PM
Posted by hcazualcc on 5/5/2013 2:18:00 PM (view original):
gtdeuce - it might not be fair to say the best player at one position is AS good as the best player at another...but can't we come up with a baseline for each attrubute at each position and call that a guess score of 70 for arguments sake?

e.g. - a good qb recruit and guess score of 70:
Ath - 50 
Spd - 50
Str - 55 (weighted more)
GI - 60 (" ")
Tech - 60 (" ")

fluctuations above or below the baseline would result in a change in score + or -

just a different way to skin the cat

That's not a bad idea. It also has the effect of "normalizing" across recruiting classes. Which would allow Bob to add - if he so chose - cool new features like Top N of all-time recruits (per position).
5/6/2013 6:46 PM
Bob, I hate to do this but after 2 seconds of investigation, its clear to me that you wrote the "expanded" version of the equation......the simplified form is E = mc2
5/6/2013 8:46 PM

So that takes care of the offensive line, what about the other positions?
5/7/2013 12:37 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
GUESS by the numbers Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.