97 DL4 George Richardson
97 LB1 Thomas Johnson
98 LB2 Howard Beal
98 CB1 Matthew Powers
99 CB2 Kenneth Hughes
98 CB3 Thomas Warner
98 SS Edwin Brown
99 FS Christopher McCoy

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Medium. James Bowles takes the snap and drops back to pass. The defense is starting to get pressure on Bowles. Brown - (Hughes,Brown,McCoy) is covered at the NC 32 (Medium). Brewster (Hughes,Powers,Brown) is covered at the NC 9 (Deep). Bowles throws to a covered Phillips (Beal) behind the line of scrimmage (very short). Phillips makes the diving catch and is down. -2 yards on the play.
So say WR Brown is on one side of the PRO set and Brewster is on the other. Both are covered by the same CB - Hughes + Brown as SS - with 21 yards between them and possibly on the opposite side of the field. I realize that to the game engine the field may be narrow and long, but some consideration needs to be paid to the fact that there are two sides to the field. And also - to be more realistic - how come no player ever runs out of bounds to stop the clock?

11/2/2013 2:10 PM
I understand why you are saying what you do about the cornerbacks being all over the field. I'm not sure why that was changed, but to my knowledge in this or any other GD engine there are not really two different sides of the field. I fear it comes down to a choice between having realistic stats or realistic pbp in this regard. Not that I know that for sure, its just logical considering what I've seen. 
11/2/2013 2:48 PM
All pass defense is a zone.  3 defenders within 21 yards of each other is very reasonable.
11/2/2013 5:23 PM
Posted by stingray002 on 11/2/2013 5:23:00 PM (view original):
All pass defense is a zone.  3 defenders within 21 yards of each other is very reasonable.
But I wouldn't call that "coverage".
11/2/2013 11:06 PM
DB still all over everyone Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.