Another chuckle for us vets Topic

Posted by bjschumacher on 11/12/2013 7:17:00 PM (view original):
So being a relative newbie, I was wondering if there was any kind of unwritten code of conduct about stealing other owners' committed recruits late in the game. I have my answer.
The idea is to make your team better.  Now some people will hold grudges and try to wreck your next recruiting class, even at the expense of your own, but if you're smart (and a bit lucky) you can have them chasing after guys you don't want, and then all they will accomplish is driving themselves closer to the crap hole.

They aren't yours until they sign, that's the only rule that matters.

11/12/2013 7:56 PM
Posted by jc1796 on 11/12/2013 7:21:00 PM (view original):
So being a relative newbie, I was wondering if there was any kind of unwritten code of conduct about stealing other owners' committed recruits late in the game. I have my answer.
Best to learn it now. :)

By not making it difficult on another coach, you are strengthening him and therefore hurting your chances for a national championship.

To be fair: there are some people who abide by such a code, but if you do, that won't mean others will. Sniping is and forever will be a part of the game, and frankly an enjoyable one. It can cause recruiting rivalries, because you better bet people will fire back! 
11/12/2013 7:58 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 11/12/2013 7:56:00 PM (view original):
The idea is to make your team better.  Now some people will hold grudges and try to wreck your next recruiting class, even at the expense of your own, but if you're smart (and a bit lucky) you can have them chasing after guys you don't want, and then all they will accomplish is driving themselves closer to the crap hole.

They aren't yours until they sign, that's the only rule that matters.

I generally don't snipe/poach recruits. It doesn't interest me, I prefer to work on my own class from the get go. But as for wrecking someone else's class who snipes me that is a different matter. I will ruin my own class if that is what it takes to let others know to buzz off. As a matter of fact next season will be one such recruit for me for someone special. It's real easy to discover who's recruiting who. I do not consider this holding a grudge I consider it the same as the kid who thinks he can steal your lunch money everyday. If you don't stand up to him he will take it again and again.

As for the poaching/sniping debate? Play the game the way you want to.

11/12/2013 8:11 PM
Jibe, that's the best answer I've gotten IMO. I just want to know if I can play my way without offending the whole community. 
11/12/2013 8:14 PM
This just happened to me. A guy jumped in on my top recruit the day before signing day. I wasnt mad but whats the best way to handle it when it happens. At that point I didnt have much budget left to get in a battle. How do you guys prevent it.
11/12/2013 9:58 PM
By not over-committing assets early. There is no real way of preventing it other then having cash on hand to fight it.
11/12/2013 10:09 PM
Posted by rlslmshdy on 11/12/2013 9:58:00 PM (view original):
This just happened to me. A guy jumped in on my top recruit the day before signing day. I wasnt mad but whats the best way to handle it when it happens. At that point I didnt have much budget left to get in a battle. How do you guys prevent it.
If you have a couplemof guys who you really want or need, then you either need to save some money to protect them later in the game or spend a little extra even when he is green to keep someone from even being able to get on him.

As for the term sniping, I hate that term. It insinuates that someone is deliberately going after someone just for fun. As for me I start with a list of potential guys and sometimes get behind right from the start. I might come back to those guys later or I might go find other recriuts tomgo after. For me I will go after anyone that I need that I think I can actually sign. I do not care who may already be on them. Its never personal and I never target another coach. And I do not care if it is a conference mate or not. Might even be more advantageous if you win a recruit over a conference mate.

I do absolutely despise the whining that comes from some coaches who feel like a recruit is theirs, before they are actually signed.
11/12/2013 10:16 PM
The "don't fight conference mates" is absurd. I'd rather fight a conference mate. They're my main competition.
11/12/2013 10:29 PM
Posted by caesari on 11/12/2013 10:29:00 PM (view original):
The "don't fight conference mates" is absurd. I'd rather fight a conference mate. They're my main competition.

In fact, it's pretty difficult to avoid, especially in fairly full conferences

11/12/2013 11:08 PM
When a recruit has narrowed his schools down to one what did it take for that guy to get back in with the recruit. Which in my case after i knocked off the sims I was the only school til the other guy jumped in. So what de he have to do to get considered by the recruit.
11/13/2013 10:46 AM (edited)
It all depends on his rep, the school's recent history, etc.  All things being equal he probably put in the similar effort it took for you to knock off the sims.
11/13/2013 11:00 AM

Quote from Harriswb3 above:
"I do absolutely despise the whining that comes from some coaches who feel like a recruit is theirs, before they are actually signed. "

11/14/2013 9:02 AM
There is another reason why a recruit isnt yours once he commits to you.  Some of us actually work for a living and cant always get on right away when recruiting starts.  That is why it isnt first come, first served.  If we couldnt go after any recruits, commited or not, then us workers wouldnt have a fair shake and we would be relegated to the left overs.
11/18/2013 10:43 PM

For the newer coaches, a short story about recruiting and "losing your recruits" to other coaches.

When I first started, I had no idea how to recruit.  Didn't really know what to look for and I was spending a lot of money and getting nothing and had a lot of SIM signings.  On about season 3 or 4, I had been looking and studying and thought I was "ready".  Well, I went out and got a bunch of guys green and I was feeling really good.  Next thing that happens is mfnmyers comes along and turns a couple of guys green to him.

Well, I certainly was not happy, as you can imagine.  However, I actually took it as a compliment...and I sent him a sitemail.  I did not complain...I actually congratulated him and told him that it made me feel "validated", so to speak.  Apparently I was actually looking at the right players.  Otherwise, coaches like him would not be competing with me.  He then responded and gave me a bit of advice which I started using right away and I've done pretty well since then.

So, its all part of the learning process and you can learn something even when you think you are getting "screwed".  

11/19/2013 9:38 AM
Posted by paland on 11/18/2013 10:43:00 PM (view original):
There is another reason why a recruit isnt yours once he commits to you.  Some of us actually work for a living and cant always get on right away when recruiting starts.  That is why it isnt first come, first served.  If we couldnt go after any recruits, commited or not, then us workers wouldnt have a fair shake and we would be relegated to the left overs.
Yeah like most others on here I just sits around all day watching reruns of Oprah on my 88" flat screen TV purchased with my annual tax return. In my spare time, which ain't much, I call the bank on my Obama phone to check on my monthly automatic deposit handouts.

I do make sure to take a break from watching Oprah to catch that first 24 hour cycle.... What the hell is work?

11/19/2013 9:42 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Another chuckle for us vets Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.