Why Change the core attributes? Topic

What possible benefit was there to changing the core attributes for some of the positions? As somebody trying to get back into this game, I find these changes arbitrary and confusing, especially since I'm already deep into recruiting. What was the reasoning behind changing these?
11/16/2013 5:05 AM
What changes are you talking about?
11/16/2013 8:37 AM
???
11/16/2013 12:26 PM
What I mean is, GI is now considered a core attribute for OL, and tech apparently means very little now. DB's primary cores are listed as speed, tackling, and athleticism. If these changes have been in place for awhile, then disregard. When I left, OL was STR, BLK, TECH, DB's were SPD, GI, TECH, etc.

11/16/2013 1:45 PM (edited)
Oriole said he would be coming out with a chart in the next week or so on 10/15. It's been a month!!!

Q:/ I know a lot of work has gone into making player attributes the primary factor in determining the result of each play. Will there be some kind of "chart" or explanation of which attributes are used in different situations? (bhazlewood - Hall of Famer - 2:46 PM)

A:/ Attributes have been paramount to the latest edition of the engine. One of my main focuses in the past month has been to make them adjustable so that we can now play with the weights and uses of each of the attributes for each specific play. We are currently finalizing which attributes matter the most, and which should be used in each situations. As soon as these are finalized I'll be working with some people to determine the best way to give you insight into each position and which attributes matter. So, yes. I'm not promising these will come out in the next week or so, but I'm hoping to have these out soon enough that it will help with recruiting. In addition we are modeling our ratings on these latest attributes as well to give the ratings values more credibility.

11/16/2013 2:14 PM (edited)
Posted by zsap on 11/16/2013 2:14:00 PM (view original):
Oriole said he would be coming out with a chart in the next week or so on 10/15. It's been a month!!!

Q:/ I know a lot of work has gone into making player attributes the primary factor in determining the result of each play. Will there be some kind of "chart" or explanation of which attributes are used in different situations? (bhazlewood - Hall of Famer - 2:46 PM)

A:/ Attributes have been paramount to the latest edition of the engine. One of my main focuses in the past month has been to make them adjustable so that we can now play with the weights and uses of each of the attributes for each specific play. We are currently finalizing which attributes matter the most, and which should be used in each situations. As soon as these are finalized I'll be working with some people to determine the best way to give you insight into each position and which attributes matter. So, yes. I'm not promising these will come out in the next week or so, but I'm hoping to have these out soon enough that it will help with recruiting. In addition we are modeling our ratings on these latest attributes as well to give the ratings values more credibility.

zsap, I think you missed the part that said, "I'm not promising these will come out in the next week or so, but I'm hoping to have these out soon enough that it will help with recruiting." 
11/16/2013 3:38 PM
Posted by mccarthyizm on 11/16/2013 5:05:00 AM (view original):
What possible benefit was there to changing the core attributes for some of the positions? As somebody trying to get back into this game, I find these changes arbitrary and confusing, especially since I'm already deep into recruiting. What was the reasoning behind changing these?
I have found that most of the attributes we have are "arbitrary and confusing". Why they came up with traits such as "Athleticism, elusiveness, technique, hands" initially and not used something a little more straightforward as - "passing, catching, running, defending (as for the pass)" to go along with blocking and tackling - is amazing to me. They wouldn't need to worry about position changes because if you have a player who can't run or catch or tackle etc in one position, he wouldn't be able to do that in another position. The plain ol' speed, strength, stamina attributes are self explanatory. Game instinct and formation IQ are important for everyone across the board and easy to apply as + / - to attributes in different situations.

Really, if they wanted to develop a game where the outcome was dependent on the outcome of differences of player attributes, they could have done it very easily. Instead we have had to endure almost 5 years now of game programmers, who really have no clue on how to create a game that is scaleable, easily understood by the novice, but can be sophisticated enough for the true in-depth gamer. (Oriole - you get a partial punt because the jury is still out for you, but the longer you take the more this fits you also).
11/16/2013 3:43 PM
Posted by katzphang88 on 11/16/2013 3:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mccarthyizm on 11/16/2013 5:05:00 AM (view original):
I have found that most of the attributes we have are "arbitrary and confusing". Why they came up with traits such as "Athleticism, elusiveness, technique, hands" initially and not used something a little more straightforward as - "passing, catching, running, defending (as for the pass)" to go along with blocking and tackling - is amazing to me. They wouldn't need to worry about position changes because if you have a player who can't run or catch or tackle etc in one position, he wouldn't be able to do that in another position. The plain ol' speed, strength, stamina attributes are self explanatory. Game instinct and formation IQ are important for everyone across the board and easy to apply as + / - to attributes in different situations.

Really, if they wanted to develop a game where the outcome was dependent on the outcome of differences of player attributes, they could have done it very easily. Instead we have had to endure almost 5 years now of game programmers, who really have no clue on how to create a game that is scaleable, easily understood by the novice, but can be sophisticated enough for the true in-depth gamer. (Oriole - you get a partial punt because the jury is still out for you, but the longer you take the more this fits you also).
I understand what you're saying, and would be in favor of the changes you're talking about. I'm just wondering what the difference is between worrying about a number that's labelled as TECH vs a number that's labelled as GI? There's a learned familiarity with these sorts of games, and I guess I don't see the benefit of going (for example) from "strength, blocking, and technique matters most" to "strength, blocking and GI matters most." It's still a system where the user is asked to focus on three primary ratings. Since many of us were used to paying attention to a certain set of primary cores, I fail to see the benefit of changing them. But maybe I'm over-simplifying things.

I've never understood the blocking and technique ratings for OL. To me, blocking is a result of strength, agility, and technique. How is it even possible for a player with an extremely high blocking grade to be anything other than a very effective OL? Conversely, how can a player with great strength, technique, and agility, have a poor blocking rating as an OL?
11/16/2013 4:20 PM
Why Change the core attributes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.