Advanced Play by Play - Fail Topic

As I remember back about 2 years ago when Norbert began asking for opinions,one was that we wanted to be able to see how match-ups were affecting the play by seeing some outcome results reflected in the PBP. The advanced PBP has really done nothing to help me know if my WR is outplaying the DB, if my OL is pushing the DL around or if my DL is able to overpower the other OL. It is seeming just like more words but no more real content to help me with game planning and positioning of my players. If they want my opinion - which they really don't seem to care - they would let the community decide on PBP text and put thaose in the game. We certainly could do a better job than every play the "QB is getting heavy pressure". Guys at WIS - this game wasn't ready.
11/19/2013 10:50 AM
While I think PBP "issues" are relatively minor annoyances, especially when compared to some of the logic flaws in the engine, I think the idea of community contributions to the PBP text is an excellent idea.  I'm not sure if it was in a DevChat or a forum post, but oriole himself said he could use some suggestions for improving the play descriptions.

Some of what you are looking for *is* in there.  For example, you might see a quarterback "throws to a wide open" receiver, or "throws to a covered" receiver. There's just not enough, and certainly not enough variety.

With that in mind, here's some ideas to get things started:

%QUARTERBACK% barely avoids the sack, and scrambles out of the pocket.
%QUARTERBACK% is hit as he releases the ball.  
The ball hits %RECEIVER% in the hands and he drops it!  (Accurate Pass, Catch Fails)
%QUARTERBACK% throws to %RECEIVER% who stretches to make a great catch (Inaccurate pass, Catch succeeds)
%QUARTERBACK% tosses to %RECEIVER% - the throw is behind him, and he (fail) can't quite get turned around in time /' (success) reaches back to make the catch.
%QUARTERBACK% hits %RECEIVER% in stride at the %CATCHPOINT% yard line, who outruns %DEFENDER% for a %YARDAGE% yard gain.
%QUARTERBACK% passes to %RECEIVER% at the %CATCHPOINT% who is hit immediately by %TACKLER% and brought down.

Oh, and a note to my fellow smart-*** posters and those who fancy themselves comedians  : Let's not trash this thread with silliness or idiocy.  I'm sure your fertile minds are overflowing with comments like "%RUNNER% goes down harder than the Obamacare web site" but put those in their own thread please.

11/19/2013 11:40 AM
I think all of those would be very helpful. I would also love to see some additional commentary on what's happening at the line of scrimmage and in the running game. Examples such as:

The OL opens a big hole, but it closes before %RUNNING BACK% can get through it.
%LINEBACKER% forces the run back inside but %RUNNING BACK% makes %TACKLER% miss and gains X yards before %TACKLER2% brings him down.
%QUARTERBACK% drops back to pass but the pocket collapses immediately...

On a different, but related note, others have suggested 3-5 bullets of AC feedback at halftime - our receivers aren't getting open downfield, the OL isn't opening holes, etc. I think something like that would be a great addition as well.

11/19/2013 12:34 PM
Here's what I would do if it were my job and I had unlimited resources:
  • Set up the advanced PBP so that every play has a simple code or series of codes that explains clearly what happened.
  • Set up a system with "announcers" where you can select an announcer, and that announcer translates each code into a variety of colorful descriptions.  You could switch announcers in the PBP screen if you wanted.
  • Set up a system where users like ourselves can create and share "announcers".  For every possible code, we could define up to 5 (completely arbitrary number) descriptions.
  • In the HTML of the PBP, include that code somewhere so that I can have my game analyzer read it instead of the description text

I'm imagining how awesome it'd be to have a pirate announcer, or a samuel l jackson announcer.  Yep...that'd be pretty awesome.
11/19/2013 12:43 PM (edited)
I would really like to have: Jose sanchez gets to the line and jukes to the left avoiding the tackle of filepe hernanzez. Sergio Chavez closes in on Sanchez to make the tackle, out of now where is pancaked by Juan garcia. What a great block! Sanchez  lays a viscous stiff arm on Omar aparicio while hitting an unreal spin move leaving Jesus Velasquez's cleats stuck in the tundra. Sanchez is at the 45....40....35....30....25....20....15...10....5......Tomas Cruz make a diving a attempt.....TD SANCHEZ!!! The crowd is going nuts.

I'm JOKING!!!. I would be happy with:

rushes for x
Pull in the reception for x.
Sacked for a loss of x

Honestly it doesn't matter how much jargon they add. We will get used to all of it. 

11/19/2013 9:09 PM
Honestly it doesn't matter how much jargon they add. We will get used to all of it.

+1
11/19/2013 9:26 PM
Posted by tigerpark135 on 11/19/2013 9:09:00 PM (view original):
I would really like to have: Jose sanchez gets to the line and jukes to the left avoiding the tackle of filepe hernanzez. Sergio Chavez closes in on Sanchez to make the tackle, out of now where is pancaked by Juan garcia. What a great block! Sanchez  lays a viscous stiff arm on Omar aparicio while hitting an unreal spin move leaving Jesus Velasquez's cleats stuck in the tundra. Sanchez is at the 45....40....35....30....25....20....15...10....5......Tomas Cruz make a diving a attempt.....TD SANCHEZ!!! The crowd is going nuts.

I'm JOKING!!!. I would be happy with:

rushes for x
Pull in the reception for x.
Sacked for a loss of x

Lol.

Viva la Mexico!
11/19/2013 10:11 PM
Posted by yatzr on 11/19/2013 12:43:00 PM (view original):
Here's what I would do if it were my job and I had unlimited resources:
  • Set up the advanced PBP so that every play has a simple code or series of codes that explains clearly what happened.
  • Set up a system with "announcers" where you can select an announcer, and that announcer translates each code into a variety of colorful descriptions.  You could switch announcers in the PBP screen if you wanted.
  • Set up a system where users like ourselves can create and share "announcers".  For every possible code, we could define up to 5 (completely arbitrary number) descriptions.
  • In the HTML of the PBP, include that code somewhere so that I can have my game analyzer read it instead of the description text

I'm imagining how awesome it'd be to have a pirate announcer, or a samuel l jackson announcer.  Yep...that'd be pretty awesome.
I have thought a pbp announcer would be cool too. As long as it's not really poor and annoying text to speech.

My fantasy football teams are hosted by yahoo and CBS Sports, and both have pretty cool AI analysts who breakdown each weeks games.CBS Sports' is really good - you would swear a human wrote it.

Would be cool to see an AI breakdown for each conference.
11/20/2013 5:11 PM
Advanced Play by Play - Fail Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.