GD 3.0 Status Update - comments Topic

Since the Status Update thread is locked, I wanted to copy the latest update here and make some comments.

Status update: 

Fixing up bugs for the Play by Play and various accounting stuff. I have a few more play by play things to add before I say that I've completed all of that, but for the most part when the next release gets pushed out, those will be fixed. For all of you beta testers, credits have been issued for the time that you have spent. Again, we really appreciate all of the work that went into the testing of the game. 

Recently I've been running a lot of tests and the stability of the engine has been pretty good. I'm going through a couple of tests to alter stamina and make sure it is not resulting in adverse affects. 

In addition we have been toying around with creating some new features that would allow users to be more engaged but understand the game quicker. We'll be testing and throwing around ideas internally over the next few weeks. Hopefully for 3.1 we can add a couple more significant UI changes that will ease the tension of new users without taking away any power over your team. 

First the good.  

• Attention being played to stamina / fatigue and the repercussions that might come from changes made to the fatigue system.  We want it to be realistic, over use of a player causes them to tire, be less effective, and eventually need to rest.
  • Awareness of, and considerations for, the overload of complexity that a new user faces.
  • Bugs in Play-By-Play and stat-keeping are being addressed.

The bad?

• Serious issues that affect game play - like using timeouts when "run the clock" is chosen - apparently have not been addressed. I understand the concept of "low hanging fruit" but I don't care if every pass is completed "down the middle" or not while things that can affect the outcome of a game remain on the burner.
  • Easing understanding of the game for new users AFTER all of the "free seasons" have expired is closing the gate after the horse is out of corral.
  • Fundamental questions about how the game works - how does pass coverage work?  How are checkdowns determined? - go unanswered.

Anyone else care to contribute?

11/26/2013 6:30 AM
SIMS seem to have too much strength. I can pick the right defense and they still get 10+ yards on a run/pass. It's not all the time but too often when I'm the much superior team.
11/26/2013 6:40 AM

Interceptions -- not sure of the logic on how/when an INT is produced but the net effect seems to go in favor of the Offense (this may be an effect from the Very Short/Short passing game in the Default playbooks --- consider updating these as well (or at least randomizing settings for each SIM team -- spice it up a bit)

Playbooks -- need to be per world, not over all worlds. do not want a change for my Air Force team in Heisman to affect my Boston College team in Wilk (my good team) -- as a compromise -- how about a true Coaching Tab -- separate from the Team page -- build your base playbooks/formations there and copy over to only the worlds you want it in

Playbooks -- Delete button -- please, I want to delete my crappy, crap playbooks and a formation or 2

11/26/2013 9:42 AM (edited)
Posted by glaity on 11/26/2013 9:42:00 AM (view original):

Interceptions -- not sure of the logic on how/when an INT is produced but the net effect seems to go in favor of the Offense (this may be an effect from the Very Short/Short passing game in the Default playbooks --- consider updating these as well (or at least randomizing settings for each SIM team -- spice it up a bit)

Playbooks -- need to be per world, not over all worlds. do not want a change for my Air Force team in Heisman to affect my Boston College team in Wilk (my good team) -- as a compromise -- how about a true Coaching Tab -- separate from the Team page -- build your base playbooks/formations there and copy over to only the worlds you want it in

Playbooks -- Delete button -- please, I want to delete my crappy, crap playbooks and a formation or 2

+1000
11/26/2013 10:13 AM
PBP - Basic: Fix the "all passes Middle" problem.  Expanded: The defensive players in coverage do not reflect a logical zone defense.

Without a PBP that accurately describes what is happening, gameplanning simply becomes a guessing game.

Also, free seasons are great and everything, but when my Job Status at the one elite I've ever gotten to is affected by the fact that the game has deficiencies and glitches, I'd find it much more valuable to receive a Job Status freeze while they are worked out.
11/26/2013 10:20 AM
Bob, thank you so much for keeping our needs organized and to the attention of staff.  I am sure I can speak for alot of men when I say that this game is an absolute must in terms of my daily lifestyle(amusement) and love the fact that you obviously feel the same and want it to stick around, gain popularity, and flat out just be better.

So keep it up. Kepp the wis boys on there toes and once again thank you.
11/26/2013 12:58 PM
All passes  , all games, all of the time. Middle. No one runs down the side line? No coffee pots? ETC?
11/26/2013 2:53 PM
Posted by fermor332002 on 11/26/2013 2:53:00 PM (view original):
All passes  , all games, all of the time. Middle. No one runs down the side line? No coffee pots? ETC?
Its window dressing even if it says they do. There is no option to throw over the middle or to the sidelines (which would require different QB and WR ratings if it were possible) because there is no difference in the engine. If they add it to pbp, fine, but it doesn't change anything except perception.
11/26/2013 3:07 PM
OK - here's my beef:

I left one of my teams - as-is - meaning ZERO adjustments to the default settings that were pre-loaded in the V3.0 roll-out (aside from Depth Chart).  Guess which of my teams has had the most consistent success against the rest of the teams?  

That's right -- the one I have done NOTHING on --- is this what the developers had in mind?  Or is it that everything is set against the DEFAULT settings meaning that the only TRUE option is the default and EVERYTHING else is either +/- to the outcomes that will take years to figure out (more likely luck out).

11/26/2013 3:46 PM
I know it isn't the sexiest of issues, but I think fatigue/stamina is huge. Going all the way back to v1.0, the 50-man limit to the roster has been a critical element of the game. It impacts every aspect of coaching a team... recruiting, roster construction, game planning... everything.

If fatigue has no impact, the 50-man limit becomes meaningless, the importance of recruiting is diminished, etc.  I am better off blowing my entire budget each recruiting season going after a few stars and trusting that I can hide the resulting AC-signed scrubs on my roster without fear of repercussion.

In my view, that has to be among the first things to be addressed. It, of course, would also be nice if we understood how pass coverage worked and therefore how to construct a defense, but first things first...

11/26/2013 3:50 PM
Posted by helgi on 11/26/2013 3:50:00 PM (view original):
I know it isn't the sexiest of issues, but I think fatigue/stamina is huge. Going all the way back to v1.0, the 50-man limit to the roster has been a critical element of the game. It impacts every aspect of coaching a team... recruiting, roster construction, game planning... everything.

If fatigue has no impact, the 50-man limit becomes meaningless, the importance of recruiting is diminished, etc.  I am better off blowing my entire budget each recruiting season going after a few stars and trusting that I can hide the resulting AC-signed scrubs on my roster without fear of repercussion.

In my view, that has to be among the first things to be addressed. It, of course, would also be nice if we understood how pass coverage worked and therefore how to construct a defense, but first things first...

+1
11/26/2013 4:02 PM

+++1000
11/26/2013 7:39 PM

Yep
11/26/2013 10:30 PM
Well, I have two things I would love to see mentioned but they are not game specific as much as game management specific.  

- I would love to see a comprehensive guide to the game written by the developers explaining game mechanics.  Why does this all need to be a guessing game?  Why must coaches (customers) put together guides based on incomplete information for other coaches (customers) to try to make sense of a game that should be explained from the start? 

- Why the silence from the powers that be in the forums?  We are into real seasons and changes and tweaks are being made, and coaches have legitimate questions about game mechanics and there is nobody checking or responding in the forums.  This would not be an issue if we had my first suggestion in place to reference, but since we don't, it would be nice if once a week someone checked in to let us know what is going on and to answer the ongoing questions about the game.  
11/26/2013 10:46 PM
Since I am new to GD I don't know how communication is here other that what I've gotten a sense of from everyone else.

I have been around a  while in SLB and just wanted to let you know the last message that was sent about updates there happened in June 2013. This was the message we got at that time:

Guys -- I just wanted to chime in quickly and apologize for the lack of updates on this.  We've been plugging away on this update full steam and we have several key areas of the game at a point where we can share them with you.  Our goal is to get your feedback on what we have done and what we plan to do as soon as possible.  Just hang in there a little longer!
11/26/2013 11:15 PM
123 Next ▸
GD 3.0 Status Update - comments Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.