GD 3.0 Status Update - comments Topic

I would like a extra setting for game plans for each half. Like if I'm leading by 14 towards  the end of the first half I might run a conservative gameplan with my starters, but in the second half might put in the second string. Instead of having to go in and change that I could just leave it and just adjust my playbook if needed. It would save time for those who don't have a lot of time to spend on their team.
11/27/2013 1:23 AM
Posted by vikesrule69 on 11/27/2013 1:23:00 AM (view original):
I would like a extra setting for game plans for each half. Like if I'm leading by 14 towards  the end of the first half I might run a conservative gameplan with my starters, but in the second half might put in the second string. Instead of having to go in and change that I could just leave it and just adjust my playbook if needed. It would save time for those who don't have a lot of time to spend on their team.
I agree with greater "game plan" controls.  We currently have the functionality vikesrule69 is talking about with the game plans. However, we need to manually adjust each half. I we could save different game plans, we could accomplish these game plan changes with a simple drop down box instead of having to adjust multiple playbooks and clock settings each half or game.

Ultimately, i wish we could set both 1st half and 2nd half game plans at one time (for example the evening before the 1st half runs). And I wish we could do so by choosing from a list of saved game plans.
11/27/2013 7:50 AM
Posted by samson75 on 11/26/2013 10:46:00 PM (view original):
Well, I have two things I would love to see mentioned but they are not game specific as much as game management specific.  

- I would love to see a comprehensive guide to the game written by the developers explaining game mechanics.  Why does this all need to be a guessing game?  Why must coaches (customers) put together guides based on incomplete information for other coaches (customers) to try to make sense of a game that should be explained from the start? 

- Why the silence from the powers that be in the forums?  We are into real seasons and changes and tweaks are being made, and coaches have legitimate questions about game mechanics and there is nobody checking or responding in the forums.  This would not be an issue if we had my first suggestion in place to reference, but since we don't, it would be nice if once a week someone checked in to let us know what is going on and to answer the ongoing questions about the game.  
This.

If nothing else is done to fix bugs, etc.  At a MINIMUM, the developers need to explain to us how the engine works, so that we all have a basic understanding of how the various manipulations actually work. 

1.  Anatomy of a running play
2.  Anatomy of a passing play
3.  Anatomy of LBs set to line
4.  Anatomy of LBS set to cover
5.  Anatomy of a Blitz
6.  How do the O line and D line interact....how does this interaction change when there is a 3 vs 4 vs 5 man Defensive Line setup?
7.  How does pass coverage actually work?   Man vs Zone?  Safeties?  Corners?  LBs in cover?
8.  In 2.0 it was explained (in simple terms) that a defensive setting of Always Run had the "real life effect" of moving your DBs/LBs closer to the line.  Always Pass, had them well off the line.  Is this still true in 3.0?
9.  With the removal of TECH from WRs and DBs....what are the real attributes now that make for good players at those positions?
10.  Explain these 'buckets" of talent a little more so that we might figure out which "bucket" our team fits into...AND, is it even possible for a low talent team to upset a high talent team?
11.  Fatigue must be fixed.
12.  I want to DESIGNATE my starters, just like in 2.0

11/27/2013 10:23 AM (edited)
Bump

- would like to see some of Harris' questions answered.  As coaches, we need these spelled out clearly. 
12/3/2013 12:36 PM

Just thought I would throw out that my team has played 10 games and my QBs 11 combined starts.  Something to play with, I guess, to try to game the starting spot offers.

12/3/2013 4:34 PM
I think most of the changes are just window dressings.
Being able to designate DE/DL, OLB/ILB, DB/FS is fun but once fatigue sets in and subs enter it becomes pointless.
Maybe this can be done and i haven't figured it out yet, but why can't you have different depth charts for different firmations.
The player settings or distribution settings also need work. If i have 2 RB splitting carriez the one who doesn't get the ball shoud still block but that's not the case.
Do i even need to bring up QBs throwing having 700+ attempts without an interception. Even having over 500 attempts with only 3 ints is ridiculous.
12/3/2013 11:34 PM
Posted by 2legit on 12/3/2013 11:34:00 PM (view original):
Being able to designate DE/DL, OLB/ILB, DB/FS is fun but once fatigue sets in and subs enter it becomes pointless.
Maybe this can be done and i haven't figured it out yet, but why can't you have different depth charts for different firmations.
The player settings or distribution settings also need work. If i have 2 RB splitting carriez the one who doesn't get the ball shoud still block but that's not the case.
Do i even need to bring up QBs throwing having 700+ attempts without an interception. Even having over 500 attempts with only 3 ints is ridiculous.
If you set your position roles up correctly, then they still hold once subs enters. It just takes a bit of planning.  Not that fatigue sets in currently.

Position roles are just depth charts.  Doesn't matter if it's called RB Speed, you can use it for whatever you want.  So, you could use RB speed as your depth chart for Pro Set, FB for you depth chart for I Formation, RB Power for your depth chart for ND Box, etc. etc.  You just have to think outside the label.

12/3/2013 11:44 PM
But realistically, if the engine does not recognize the fact that inside OL needs different skills than outside OL and that DT need different skills than DE or ILB/OLB then the engine simulation is a farce. Without input about the sim from oriole we are in the dark about how to set up our team. AND if the differences aren't great enough it won't matter.
12/4/2013 12:29 AM
Posted by bhazlewood on 12/3/2013 11:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by 2legit on 12/3/2013 11:34:00 PM (view original):
If you set your position roles up correctly, then they still hold once subs enters. It just takes a bit of planning.  Not that fatigue sets in currently.

Position roles are just depth charts.  Doesn't matter if it's called RB Speed, you can use it for whatever you want.  So, you could use RB speed as your depth chart for Pro Set, FB for you depth chart for I Formation, RB Power for your depth chart for ND Box, etc. etc.  You just have to think outside the label.

Definitely not following your example about position roles.
As for the subs, it can be done but you're still not guaranteed to get the guys in the positions that you want them in. Fatigue is one of the most ridiculous areas of the game which needs to be addressed now.
12/4/2013 1:30 AM
For position roles to be in effect, you have to turn on "Advanced Settings" at the bottom of the Coaching 101 page.
Then, when you set your depth charts, you'll see multiple "roles" listed at each position, like RB / FB / RBSpeed / RBPower / RBPoss / RB User1 etc.  You set your depth chart using those position roles.
Once that's done, you can go into each formation, and edit the formation (or create a new copy of the formation) to use these position roles instead of the default or "base" position.
There's a thread pinned at the top of the page about Custom Playbooks, most of what I'm talking about here is illustrated in the guide I created.
12/4/2013 7:55 AM
Posted by bhazlewood on 12/4/2013 7:55:00 AM (view original):
For position roles to be in effect, you have to turn on "Advanced Settings" at the bottom of the Coaching 101 page.
Then, when you set your depth charts, you'll see multiple "roles" listed at each position, like RB / FB / RBSpeed / RBPower / RBPoss / RB User1 etc.  You set your depth chart using those position roles.
Once that's done, you can go into each formation, and edit the formation (or create a new copy of the formation) to use these position roles instead of the default or "base" position.
There's a thread pinned at the top of the page about Custom Playbooks, most of what I'm talking about here is illustrated in the guide I created.
Gotcha, that helps.
12/4/2013 11:20 AM
Would like to be able to "rename" the position roles to something meaningful to me.  I use RB2...but I can't remember what it means.....just an example.
12/4/2013 1:07 PM
This new engine has taken all the fun out of the game. I want to spend 5 to 10 minutes a day game planning, not 90 and seeing the engine ignore my plan anyway.

I think after 3 years, i have had enough. All i wanted was a little more control over end game. Enjoy guys but you are going to have to start contracting worlds because newbies will never be able to fathom this and attrition is going to set in.

Bye.
12/4/2013 3:21 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I am trying to get to all of the issues worked out and the game functioning properly. Unfortunately the time that I have spent on this has limited my time to put together the comprehensive anatomy list. Once I get the Timeout issue in place and squared away I will try to update the knowledge base to help explain a better way of how plays work.  In the mean time, I've set up a dev chat for next week, start posting the most pressing questions and I'll do my best to answer them in the chat, and then I'll try to move those to the knowledge base.  

12/4/2013 4:05 PM
Posted by surfboar on 12/4/2013 3:21:00 PM (view original):
This new engine has taken all the fun out of the game. I want to spend 5 to 10 minutes a day game planning, not 90 and seeing the engine ignore my plan anyway.

I think after 3 years, i have had enough. All i wanted was a little more control over end game. Enjoy guys but you are going to have to start contracting worlds because newbies will never be able to fathom this and attrition is going to set in.

Bye.
Of all the complaints about this engine, it NOT doing what you say (with the exception of timeouts under "Run the Clock") has not been one of them.  

You want more control, and then quit because it takes more time to exercise more control.  That's genius.  
12/4/2013 4:21 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
GD 3.0 Status Update - comments Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.