mfnmeyers st. olaf Topic

Posted by jfootball88 on 1/17/2014 6:44:00 PM (view original):
I already deleted it but the point is this that's only ONE aspect of the juggernat that is D-3 Colorado. There's lots to learn a few of the guys I've mentored have been doing phenomeonally much better than myself.
LOL.  
2/20/2014 4:32 PM
If you bother to look at St. Olaf's players hometowns, it's pretty clear that Mr. Meyers doesn't subscribe to the "inside my 360" theory of recruiting. Since this game has little to no documentation, and most everyone here is basing their strategies on some info that may or may not be right, the people that experiment and think outside the box will eventually find gold.
2/20/2014 11:08 PM
impressive....id rather take the 4 straight NC appearances however ;-)
2/24/2014 10:41 PM
He is by far the best recruiter in D3 Dobie.  It is usually unwise to go against him in a battle.
2/26/2014 4:05 PM
He just grabbed the top 2 RBs in warner without battling for either of them.
2/26/2014 4:48 PM
D-III recruiting isn't - and never has been - about recruiting the players that rank as the best in their class as incoming Freshmen. It is about recruiting the players that will be the best by their JR and SR (and RS SR) seasons, because these are the players that should compose your starting lineup. Player growth is the name of the game. So while it's, indeed, an impressive feat to pull so many of the "top" players in a single class, year after year, I'm more impressed by coaches whose JRs and SRs just dwarf everyone else's in terms of attributes. And, believe me, that's not always (often?) the coaches who sign the Top 3 classes every year.
2/26/2014 5:28 PM
Posted by gt_deuce on 2/26/2014 5:28:00 PM (view original):
D-III recruiting isn't - and never has been - about recruiting the players that rank as the best in their class as incoming Freshmen. It is about recruiting the players that will be the best by their JR and SR (and RS SR) seasons, because these are the players that should compose your starting lineup. Player growth is the name of the game. So while it's, indeed, an impressive feat to pull so many of the "top" players in a single class, year after year, I'm more impressed by coaches whose JRs and SRs just dwarf everyone else's in terms of attributes. And, believe me, that's not always (often?) the coaches who sign the Top 3 classes every year.
I completely agree, i was just pointing out that he grabbed the 2 best RBs with ease. I think i saw him in one battle this year, which is why he can get who he wants. I battled and won a WR against him lasf year but that was the only time our recruits crossed. People are scared to battle him, which is great for him. If this was version 1 i could understand not battling him because you could assume he had a huge war chest, but those chests are gone. People are just intimidated i guess.
Growth is key, but if you're grabbing guys that are well ahead of other recruits with high potential Jr adn Sr years will be about the same.
2/26/2014 6:03 PM
If you have a way to project - with a formula - how players are going to grow (yes, certain assumptions must be made), then you can take the guesswork out of the "who will be better during their SR season" question.

Of one thing I'm certain - if the WE are as poor as everyone is saying they are, those players won't rank like this in their SR seasons:

#2, 3, 4, & 5 OL;  
 #1 & 2 DL; 
#1 RB;  
#1 P;  
#1 & 4 WR;  
#1, 2 & 3 DB;  
#1 K;  
#1, 3 & 4 LB;   
#1 TE

That's because it's very rare that the Top 1-3 players AS RECRUITS end up being the Top 1-3 players AS JR/SR. Even fairly substantial leads can be overcome with the right mix of WE/potential/practice/games-played.

2/26/2014 6:50 PM
Posted by gt_deuce on 2/26/2014 6:50:00 PM (view original):
If you have a way to project - with a formula - how players are going to grow (yes, certain assumptions must be made), then you can take the guesswork out of the "who will be better during their SR season" question.

Of one thing I'm certain - if the WE are as poor as everyone is saying they are, those players won't rank like this in their SR seasons:

#2, 3, 4, & 5 OL;  
 #1 & 2 DL; 
#1 RB;  
#1 P;  
#1 & 4 WR;  
#1, 2 & 3 DB;  
#1 K;  
#1, 3 & 4 LB;   
#1 TE

That's because it's very rare that the Top 1-3 players AS RECRUITS end up being the Top 1-3 players AS JR/SR. Even fairly substantial leads can be overcome with the right mix of WE/potential/practice/games-played.

True.  Quite true....but the real kicker here is that this is not just one or two recruits....its the entire class.

And he does get some real MONSTERS that could start on some D2 programs, as freshmen.  Not all of his players are that good, but some are.

I think the most important part of the discussion is that he is able to consistently recruit like this with apparent ease....that is the "mystery" per se.....
2/26/2014 7:31 PM
I have not seen any evidence that outside of starting for four years that more then a 3 point different in guess rating can be overcome unless the recruit is a stl potential. 
2/26/2014 7:38 PM
Posted by bhouska on 1/16/2014 3:01:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, he did a great job, I noticed that as well.  His player average was like 10 points higher than the #2 class!

yeah, my coworker had the #2 class and was talking about how crazy good st. olaf class was last season.
2/27/2014 2:57 AM
Posted by noah23 on 2/26/2014 7:38:00 PM (view original):
I have not seen any evidence that outside of starting for four years that more then a 3 point different in guess rating can be overcome unless the recruit is a stl potential. 
There was a time awhile back that i had in my head that if a recruit had average potential and was about 3 points higher (guess rating wise) than a high potential recruit that they'd end up damn near equal after their careers were over.. i could have been wrong but something led me to that conclusion..
2/27/2014 3:03 AM
Posted by ohhale on 2/27/2014 3:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by noah23 on 2/26/2014 7:38:00 PM (view original):
There was a time awhile back that i had in my head that if a recruit had average potential and was about 3 points higher (guess rating wise) than a high potential recruit that they'd end up damn near equal after their careers were over.. i could have been wrong but something led me to that conclusion..
close, but not quite in my experience. Thats why I put it at 3 points. I use it as a rule of thumb. If you start someone all four years he might eclipse the other guy in his senior year, but if you are starting the guy all four years do you want to give up three years of productivity for one? Thats my logic. 
2/27/2014 3:29 AM
And, from what I have seen, he is not just recruiting the "highest GUESS Rated players"....who might have one or two crazy high cores that inflate their rating, but are very weak in other areas.....he's picking up true studs...that are good across the board.  Players that the top teams want to have.
2/27/2014 9:17 AM
I am going to attempt something with my D3 Rockne team this year to see if I can mimic some of that success.
2/27/2014 12:25 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
mfnmeyers st. olaf Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.