Have a first for me, as my team is pretty good now im nto sure 100% on who to Red shirt this season.
What is the best way to approach this;
Is it "better" to red shirt the guys who will not play a down this year? Have without counting the freshmen 7 WR, OL, LB and 3 DL with 4 freshmen. 1 of the DL who is my second best recruit has a soph start which next year will have no trouble getting. 

Would it be better to take the guys with the highest work ethic or guys who wont play? 
2/17/2014 9:07 AM
I redshirt my three best recruits.  Assuming they have good potential and good work ethic. 
2/17/2014 11:00 AM
Always RS a QB unless you have to start them, in which case, offer a Freshman Start and 75% PT and watch him grow like crazy!
2/17/2014 11:06 AM
None of the guys are starters, the QB I got was just so I would have 3 on teh roster would be a useless redshirt., my running back will have a hard time seeing action for the first coupel of years.
2/17/2014 11:13 AM
Posted by frankum on 2/17/2014 11:00:00 AM (view original):
I redshirt my three best recruits.  Assuming they have good potential and good work ethic. 

of my top 3 1 has decent we 51 where the OL who will be a beast is a 38 WE . Seems this season I went wiht the best players and not so much the best potential players. This year was more of a roster filling than searching for starters.

2/17/2014 11:14 AM
Posted by meece on 2/17/2014 11:13:00 AM (view original):
None of the guys are starters, the QB I got was just so I would have 3 on teh roster would be a useless redshirt., my running back will have a hard time seeing action for the first coupel of years.
I would still RS the QB -- you can get by in-game with only 2 active QB's. If one gets hurt (which does not seem to happen anymore) and will miss any time, you can pull the RS before the next game. If you are not going to start a QB as a FR, you should RS him.
2/17/2014 12:30 PM
ID Agree but seems i could get a better QB in the next few years that would have a better chnace at starting. the frehsmen this year is a33 position ranking. In the next two years can get a better guy then that.
2/17/2014 12:55 PM
I would look at their potential based on AC and HC scout feedback more than I would their overall work ethic.  
2/17/2014 1:01 PM
Any player who you think you can get by without this season, but is a future potential Conference Player of the Year should be a no-brainer.You want to give them as much development time as possible.
2/17/2014 1:40 PM
I will always RS a QB and as for the other positions take the best of your highest potential players.
2/17/2014 2:49 PM
I have seen good coaches redshirt skill positions like QB, RB, WR, and I have seen good coaches redshirt OL and DL. I remember seeing a coach with all his OLs redshirted and he had a great team. I think the answer is - it varies. :)
2/17/2014 10:29 PM
Check their pants color, you don't want anything that clashes.
2/17/2014 10:42 PM
I've came to the conclusion that it's a waste to redshirt guys with average potential.  They just don't grow much at all, even with decent (45+) work ethic.  So RS a good potential is best.  Unless you have a guy who is an amazing player right now with decent work ethic.  If you just redshirted the guys who had the highest recruit relative value on GUESS, you would be fine.  

I honestly don't pay attention to position.  But I always RS a QB.  Here are my redshirts by position on the team I've turned into a playoff team.

Year 1: RB, WR, DL
Year 2: QB, OL, DL
Year 3: QB, OL, DB
This year: WR, DL, LB
2/18/2014 3:33 PM
I try to balance my RS's and tailor them to my offensive and defensive styles. I currently like Trips on Off and I plan to convert to 3-4 on "D". Over the next 4 seasons my RS plan is as follows.
QB-1, RB-1, WR-2, OL-2, DL-1, LB-2, DB-3. Also, I try to give a RS as much playing time as possible after the RS year to attain maximum growth!! Hope this helps you!!
2/18/2014 5:49 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.