Recruiting 'Ethics' Topic

Just curious what people thought about this...

I know at the beginning of each recruiting session it's basically a free-for-all, try to turn guys green. There are typically battles, some that are finished quickly, or recruits that end up yellow battling all the way to signing day.

My question is, what do people think about a recruit that has been green the entire time for a user team, and during the 3 hour period before signing day, another user team swoops in and creates a new battle by turning the recruit yellow or stealing the recruit completely?

I know if this was our favorite NCAA team we would likely enjoy the recruiting twists and turns, but in the spirit of the game here, do people have a problem with it? Just wondering how other view this.

6/4/2014 1:37 PM
douchy yes.
unethical -- no.

sucks when it happens to you.
the lower the division, the less Inclinced I am tempted to do it
6/4/2014 1:39 PM
Agreed.  It's douchy.  
6/4/2014 2:15 PM
Yeah, if I am going to be dealing with someone a long time in multiple battles over the years even more so.

The problem is that since you can't carry over recruiting money, sometimes it is worth trying to upgrade. I usually try to do this against SIM players that are still out there, personally.

All that said, the biggest thing is that it is a horrible long term plan for your team. You lose as many of those as you win a the last minute, and you are taking on walk ons and such if you do it too often.

6/4/2014 2:19 PM
That stinks for you, but I am sure the other coach is happy.  It happens in real life, so why not here?  

Here is another question.  
Is it wrong to run up the score?
6/4/2014 2:34 PM
Bobby Bowden said it best.  "It's not my job to stop my offense.  It's your job to stop my offense."
6/4/2014 2:45 PM
Maybe douchy was in fact the word I was searching for :)

Thanks for the responses everyone.
6/4/2014 2:53 PM
Keep in mind that some owners are slack and don't live and die by recruiting.   Heck we have an owner in our division in Rockne who did all his recruiting after signing day two seasons ago...
6/4/2014 3:38 PM
Nothing is more frustrating but every recruit is fair game until he signs. Look at real life recruiting. Theirs recruits changing their minds at the last second all the time. Im sure in real life once a guy says hes committed to a school no other school ever contacts him again lol.
6/4/2014 3:58 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 6/4/2014 2:45:00 PM (view original):
Bobby Bowden said it best.  "It's not my job to stop my offense.  It's your job to stop my offense."
Wasn't that Jimmy Johnson that said that?
6/4/2014 4:05 PM
I feel like its a lot worse in Hoops. With the prestige ratings it seems like there is a lot more poaching. Maybe I have been lucky but I don't see a lot of team move on a player that is already green for my team. While it happens all the time in Hoops. 
6/4/2014 5:22 PM
There are rules in this game. I don't see how anything done within the rules could be unethical. Cheating is unethical.
6/4/2014 6:26 PM
Rules and ethics are two different things.  If no one could ever see the difference between the two, we'd likely be singing 'Hail to the Queen' every morning in America.
6/4/2014 7:32 PM (edited)
Columbus, no argument about rules and ethics is the real world. This is a friggin game. I'm afraid I don't get your analogy - probably because I'm lacking GD ethics.
6/4/2014 8:09 PM
You can research my comments on this topic in the past.....it sucks for the one on the receiving end...but its perfectly fine.  You have to keep in mind that, for various reasons, some folks cannot get to recruiting when it starts..so they are playing "catchup" when they do get to it.  Its a risk on their part, but there is nothing wrong with it.  Its not unethical, and its within the rules, so its completely fine.

Just because someone gets pisssssed off because of an action, does not mean that action was wrong/unethical.
6/4/2014 8:10 PM
12345 Next ▸
Recruiting 'Ethics' Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.