Recruiting 'Ethics' Topic

The money is increasing because costs and revenue are increasing, not because of the 0.00042% they saved from the previous year. Looks like they subscribe to the "use it or lose it" philosophy as well.
6/9/2014 11:32 AM
Posted by scrodz on 6/9/2014 11:32:00 AM (view original):
The money is increasing because costs and revenue are increasing, not because of the 0.00042% they saved from the previous year. Looks like they subscribe to the "use it or lose it" philosophy as well.
You gave me one year's example where they spent their budget for a category that includes 20 things including football recruiting (or at least you can expect it is, nothing in the document says that).

So you did not demonstrate the point that you are trying to make. Basically, you are trying to make assumptions without specifics from a document not intended for the use you want. And in the end, it is in order to make a point not really exceedingly relevant.

People who poach late and bet on that uncertainty are rarely long-term successful coaches.

Whether or not they are ethical, most of them aren't very good.

6/9/2014 2:32 PM
OK, give me another example. Show me a budget, ANY BUDGET, from a football team showing them carrying cash over from one year to the next, and I'll concede the point.
6/9/2014 11:35 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 6/4/2014 2:45:00 PM (view original):
Bobby Bowden said it best.  "It's not my job to stop my offense.  It's your job to stop my offense."
I always heard Bowden was told that by Lou Holtz........but the version I heard was Holtz told Bowden that it wasn't his job to keep the game close...it was Bowden's.  I kind of hope Bowden said it though, don't much care for that slobbering Granny Clampett looking goon Lou Holtz.
6/10/2014 7:50 AM
Let us just summarize (via my viewpoint LOL)

1.  Grabbing a player or players late is a viable strategy and is not against the rules
2.  There is nothing "wrong" with that strategy
3.  Using that strategy season after season is likely not going to provide long term success (for a variety of reasons)
4.  As a coach you should prepare yourself to "defend" one or more recruits from late cycle actions from other coaches.
5.  It is IMPOSSIBLE to know if another coach is putting money into a recruit or not, based only on the fact that the recruit is green to you.
6.  As a coach you should operate within the rules, and then within your own code of personal conduct, but do not expect others to follow your own code of conduct.
7.  Share your toys with others.

6/10/2014 7:52 AM
I see a lot of successful coaches who will go late after top players. I've had it happen to me several times. They may have been putting money on them all along and waiting, but they've turned them yellow right before signing. This is a successful strategy as long as they have a recruit green as an alternative. Someone who tries to poach late and has no alternative plan and ends up with several Ac signed player will obviously not be successful in the long run. I don't think I've ever seen that happen though. I usually see a much higher ranked team with a very experienced coach come in late on one of the top players I've been recruiting or I do t as well, but not without having someone ready to sign as an alternate if it doesn't work. Nothing wrong with that strategy and seems to be very successful for the guys who've gone deeper in the playoffs than me year after year. 
6/10/2014 12:18 PM
Posted by fastec27 on 6/4/2014 4:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 6/4/2014 2:45:00 PM (view original):
Bobby Bowden said it best.  "It's not my job to stop my offense.  It's your job to stop my offense."
Wasn't that Jimmy Johnson that said that?
No it was Spurrier that said it
6/11/2014 1:19 AM
Posted by harriswb3 on 6/10/2014 7:52:00 AM (view original):
Let us just summarize (via my viewpoint LOL)

1.  Grabbing a player or players late is a viable strategy and is not against the rules
2.  There is nothing "wrong" with that strategy
3.  Using that strategy season after season is likely not going to provide long term success (for a variety of reasons)
4.  As a coach you should prepare yourself to "defend" one or more recruits from late cycle actions from other coaches.
5.  It is IMPOSSIBLE to know if another coach is putting money into a recruit or not, based only on the fact that the recruit is green to you.
6.  As a coach you should operate within the rules, and then within your own code of personal conduct, but do not expect others to follow your own code of conduct.
7.  Share your toys with others.

"By George He's Got It" !(especially number 7)
6/11/2014 8:07 AM
That would be "By you" then wouldn't it mojo?  
6/11/2014 10:38 AM
Well written, Harriswb3!
6/11/2014 1:48 PM
Posted by iamthetwo__2 on 6/11/2014 10:38:00 AM (view original):
That would be "By you" then wouldn't it mojo?  
lol. In My Fair Lady.
6/11/2014 5:51 PM
◂ Prev 12345
Recruiting 'Ethics' Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.