Position Key Attributes Series: Quarterback Topic

I'd like to start some discussion on the boards...and I'll try to do it with a "series" looking at each position.  I'd like to get some discussion/debate going regarding what attributes are really important, and why.  The intent would be to help newbies, as well as any veterans who are having trouble in the new engine.  The more discussion we get, the more knowledge we get.  Please feel free to add anything that is RELEVANT to the discussion on the position in question.

So...here goes:

What attributes are MOST IMPORTANT for a QB:

1.  Passing?
2.  Running?

Perhaps there is a difference for a QB in a full blown air attack vs a more balanced approach.  Short vs long passing?

I'm leaning towards STR, GI as my only attributes for a passer, with equal emphasis on both.  In the old engine I liked TECH, GI, STR.  But in this engine, it appears that TECH no longer really matters.
8/22/2014 7:50 AM
I think, at least when determining a starter, Formation IQ has got to be in there, if not the most important trait
8/22/2014 9:48 AM
GI, Tech, Str, Elus(avoid sacks), Ath(somehow it modifies ability to make big plays; higher better), Speed(might help scrambling, WE for growing attributes. In that order with exception of some coaches  prefer Tech first , and then GI. This would be passing qb.
     For running qb just apply importants attributes for rb: Elusiveness, Strength, Speed, ath, (the first 2 again can be reversed depending on what you believe. )
           I don't recruit looking at formation iq at all. I figure it will grow with training and playing time.
8/22/2014 10:48 AM (edited)
I look at GI, TECH, and STR primarily. But I think the secondary traits have more impact on the success of a QB than any other position.
8/22/2014 11:28 AM
For a passing QB, I go with STR, GI, TECH, ATH, ELU, HNDS in that order.  For a running QB, I would look at SPD, ELU, ATH, GI, STR, HNDS, TECH in that order.  But I prefer passing QBs.
8/22/2014 11:40 AM
TECH, STR, GI, ATH are what I value most. SPD  and ELU, are factored in. If you can get good numbers on those last two, he could become a good runner for you.
8/22/2014 1:15 PM
I (respectfully) disagree with almost every post thus far. I will go through all attributes both primary and secondary.

First off, secondary attributes:(ATH, SPD, ELU) Avoiding sacks and scrambling for positive yardage when receiving targets are covered. Both avoiding sacks and scrambling are completely unnecessary if your OL is very good and receivers are very good rendering secondary attribute well "just that-secondary".

Next up, primary attributes and there is much debate to this. (TECH, GI, and STR) and debate has raged about what order to put these in.

Lets start with strength. The stronger a QB's arm is the more this increases accuracy(tech) for deeper passes. Lack of STR can be successfully counter balanced for never passing deeper than "Medium".

GI appears to be the QB's ability to "choose" the proper target. The wide open target vs the tight coverage target or even the knowledge to "scramble". If you use a shotgun with targets all over the field than it would make sense to have a qb with high GI. Also, I believe the higher the GI; the quicker the decision making will be hence less chance of sacks.  Low GI can also be counter balanced obviously a great OL(to buy time) and not allowing your qb any options; forcing your QB to throw to one target only. 

TECH- well after all the above has been determined eventually your QB will have to deliver an "accurate throw".  Technique is the life line of this checkdown. Imagine this scenerio with me for a minute; a High GI, high STR, LOW tech qb.  Your Best WR is wide open on a 8 yard out pattern. Your incredibly smart qb with a cannon of an arm quickly identifies your wide open wr and fires one off to him that ends up taking off an unsuspecting cheerleader's head named Butthole Becky 12 yards off the sideline.  OK in all seriousness; putting the visual GUI aside; the higher the TECH the higher the completion %(with everything else remaining equal.

In conclusion, my experiences and excel spreadsheets have shown me that of the Primary attributes only TECH has no "work around". And if receiving targets and OL are good enough then there ZERO need for secondary attributes.

My official advise is to get the best QB you possibly can and do whatever you feel is correct.  
8/22/2014 1:59 PM
In conclusion, my experiences and excel spreadsheets have shown me that of the Primary attributes only TECH has no "work around". And if receiving targets and OL are good enough then there ZERO need for secondary attributes.

What tiger said - and development of formation IQ is more important now after the evolution to 3.1.
8/22/2014 3:17 PM
I should not give me secret away seeing I have not played harris as of now but I look for a passing QB seeing I try to run somewhat of a West Coast offense. As of Stats I seeing GI, Str and Tech all being about the same. I also like players with somewhat high Form IQ and GPA due to I feel they run the forms better.
8/22/2014 7:02 PM
Posted by macdee on 8/22/2014 7:02:00 PM (view original):
I should not give me secret away seeing I have not played harris as of now but I look for a passing QB seeing I try to run somewhat of a West Coast offense. As of Stats I seeing GI, Str and Tech all being about the same. I also like players with somewhat high Form IQ and GPA due to I feel they run the forms better.
in d1 you really do NOT have the luxury  of going IQ or GPA deep. If you are in an area with multiple elites and bcs teams it quite a challenge to pull the best recruits.  So much goes into it compared to d3 and d2.  mileage advantages, freshman starting advantages, knowing when potencial matters-OR DOESN'T, too few schollies, too many schollies, how smart the coaches are around your area(seeing a team is in too many battles and pounces on you etc.). By the time its all said and done; gpa and form IQ are the last of your worries(on recruits that matter).   d1 recruiting is the real deal.
8/22/2014 7:27 PM
Posted by tigerpark135 on 8/22/2014 1:59:00 PM (view original):
I (respectfully) disagree with almost every post thus far. I will go through all attributes both primary and secondary.

First off, secondary attributes:(ATH, SPD, ELU) Avoiding sacks and scrambling for positive yardage when receiving targets are covered. Both avoiding sacks and scrambling are completely unnecessary if your OL is very good and receivers are very good rendering secondary attribute well "just that-secondary".

Next up, primary attributes and there is much debate to this. (TECH, GI, and STR) and debate has raged about what order to put these in.

Lets start with strength. The stronger a QB's arm is the more this increases accuracy(tech) for deeper passes. Lack of STR can be successfully counter balanced for never passing deeper than "Medium".

GI appears to be the QB's ability to "choose" the proper target. The wide open target vs the tight coverage target or even the knowledge to "scramble". If you use a shotgun with targets all over the field than it would make sense to have a qb with high GI. Also, I believe the higher the GI; the quicker the decision making will be hence less chance of sacks.  Low GI can also be counter balanced obviously a great OL(to buy time) and not allowing your qb any options; forcing your QB to throw to one target only. 

TECH- well after all the above has been determined eventually your QB will have to deliver an "accurate throw".  Technique is the life line of this checkdown. Imagine this scenerio with me for a minute; a High GI, high STR, LOW tech qb.  Your Best WR is wide open on a 8 yard out pattern. Your incredibly smart qb with a cannon of an arm quickly identifies your wide open wr and fires one off to him that ends up taking off an unsuspecting cheerleader's head named Butthole Becky 12 yards off the sideline.  OK in all seriousness; putting the visual GUI aside; the higher the TECH the higher the completion %(with everything else remaining equal.

My official advise is to get the best QB you possibly can and do whatever you feel is correct.  
Hmmm so what happens when your playing in the CC or NC game ? Do you honestly think your great OL and WR's are going to be much better than the DL and secondary of the team your against? I think not in most cases, i myself have noticed bigger plays and bigtime scrambles for huge first downs or even TD's with a well rounded QB(wish i had right now) with high ATHL Speed and Elus and of coarse solid primary attributes GI,Str , tech and i also think  of coarse formation iq should not be taken lightly. Tyvm and have a nice day.
8/23/2014 9:05 AM
Posted by docfunk on 8/23/2014 9:05:00 AM (view original):

Hmmm so what happens when your playing in the CC or NC game ? Do you honestly think your great OL and WR's are going to be much better than the DL and secondary of the team your against? I think not in most cases, i myself have noticed bigger plays and bigtime scrambles for huge first downs or even TD's with a well rounded QB(wish i had right now) with high ATHL Speed and Elus and of coarse solid primary attributes GI,Str , tech and i also think  of coarse formation iq should not be taken lightly. Tyvm and have a nice day.
If you are playing in the NC game then chances are you have developed a recruiting strategy and starting a freshman QB is a moot point. If this is indeed the case then the qb in question  is riding the pine and gaining secondary attributes.  

Look, what I really meant to say was that in recruiting I feel that the secondary attributes can be sacrificed because they will develope at a fairly quickly rate. 
8/24/2014 1:11 AM
Posted by tigerpark135 on 8/24/2014 1:11:00 AM (view original):
Posted by docfunk on 8/23/2014 9:05:00 AM (view original):

If you are playing in the NC game then chances are you have developed a recruiting strategy and starting a freshman QB is a moot point. If this is indeed the case then the qb in question  is riding the pine and gaining secondary attributes.  

Look, what I really meant to say was that in recruiting I feel that the secondary attributes can be sacrificed because they will develope at a fairly quickly rate. 
Well nobody said anything about starting a freshman QB the topic was which attributes are important and for you to say secondary attributes are COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY, well thats where i disagree, if you draft a kid with low secondary attributes even with growth those attributes will never grow enough to make an impact, yet if you draft a kid with solid secondary attributes i feel they will grow enough to make an impact.
8/25/2014 10:34 AM
Once you have been around a while , you learn how to use the equations that we plug into the role ratings or yatzr tool.  My biggest point is that if you put  the secondary attributes into the equations of a recruit search then you will SEVERELY limit what is way more important and Ohio State and Notre Dame will be thanking you greatly.  With you being at Michigan chances are you are only going to have a couple top options in your 180 where you will have an advantage in recruiting(with qb's). And also, chances are that you are not going to find a blue chip d1 qb without having quality secondary attributes.

If you keep the secondary attributes OUT OF your qb recruit search; you will still show blue chip qbs as your top recruits.

However, on the flip side If you add the secondary  attributes TO your recruit search then you are running the risk of the overvalued secondary attribute artificially inflating the recruit higher then the blue chips on your list because of an arbitrary number.  
8/25/2014 12:07 PM
Yes ive played all versions of this game going back to getting beat up by nelsonba's grove city teams but then i was under a differnt ID and when i came back in 2.0 couldnt remember the info so i just started a new one , but thats a moot point , and yes of coarse when you plug in the search ratings that your looking for yes you always plug in the cores/primary ratings only , but when you can find that special player that has solid secondary attributes to go with it(which by the way was the topic of this thread) well then now we are back to my point ,solid secondary attributes WILL make a difference and are NOT COMPLETLY UNNECESSARY at least in D-1 where most of my success has been, i havent played at D-3 more than a season since GD1.0 so i couldnt tell as much about it tyvm and have a nice day.
8/27/2014 3:21 PM
12 Next ▸
Position Key Attributes Series: Quarterback Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.