GUESS Report Idea / Question Topic

Posted by stingray001 on 8/25/2014 7:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bhazlewood on 8/22/2014 1:46:00 PM (view original):
In the STAGG thread, someone asked if it were possible to give class rankings for SO/JR/SR classes, instead of just overall and recruits.

It's *possible*, but it would take a sizable amount of new code to do so, and I'd have decide what to do with previously red-shirted players, and have to figure out the best way to present the data. However, if there's enough interest, I'd tackle the project.

So... what do you think? Useful information? Worthless Fluff?  Mildly interesting?
1 SQL statement using a GROUP BY will do the trick.
The "Group By" would pull the player pool, but it wouldn't do the calculations of where your class ranks in relation to the other classes.  Remember that class scores are no longer just an average of all your recruit ratings, but the relative value of each player in relation to the best and worst players at that position.  Those calculations COULD be done by the web site - the underlying code is in Ruby - but I'm afraid it would be horribly slow.  Currently I calculate all those values in Excel and store all of the ratings/ ranks in fields in the database.

Right now, the VBA code in the spreadsheet that does the heavy lifting only calculates a relative score for a player overall, and a class score if they are Freshmen.  I'd have to modify that to do the calculations for all 2nd year players, 3rd year players, etc. (although that shouldn't be TOO difficult) and then calculate and store the school's score for each class.  Add a few fields to the database (easy) and then figure out the best way to display the results.
8/25/2014 1:29 PM
While we are discussing this. Is it possible to make all players data hyperlinks to that players career data. Right now - if you want to see a players history - you have to go to the team he plays for and then click on him. You cant see his career from the top 25 type pages. Would be easier (read lazier) to be able to click anyone anywhere to get his career growth

thanks
8/26/2014 3:46 PM
Posted by rangerscott on 8/26/2014 3:46:00 PM (view original):
While we are discussing this. Is it possible to make all players data hyperlinks to that players career data. Right now - if you want to see a players history - you have to go to the team he plays for and then click on him. You cant see his career from the top 25 type pages. Would be easier (read lazier) to be able to click anyone anywhere to get his career growth

thanks
I think this would be easy, although I'd have to look at the way that page "navigates".

8/26/2014 11:17 PM
Hey one more - Bob- when you make a position change - it keeps the player at his original position - so they ratings are all for the wrong position for each following season

thank you
8/29/2014 5:39 PM
I would like to see more stars. Say a five star has a rating between 90-100, a four star is 80-89, three star is 70-79, two star is 60-69, and one star is 50-59 recruit value rating. Anything under 50 doesnt receive any stars.
9/1/2014 5:54 PM
Posted by rangerscott on 8/29/2014 5:39:00 PM (view original):
Hey one more - Bob- when you make a position change - it keeps the player at his original position - so they ratings are all for the wrong position for each following season

thank you
Each player is rated at their current position whenever the rosters are pulled.  So if you have a player that's a DB at the time I pull the rosters, and then change him to RB, he will show up in that season's report as DB.  However, he would show up as (and be rated as) a RB in subsequent seasons, since that's what he is on the roster.
9/2/2014 5:28 PM
Would it be possible, without an extraordinary amount of effort, to archive each team's individual player stats, each team's game scores, or at the very least archive the playoff scores for each world?  History only has the team stats for every year.  I save my team's schedule and individual stats each season, and sometimes the scores of the playoffs. It's interesting to look back at scores and individual stats for teams you have coached for a long while, and look back at scores vs coaches you often play in the playoffs.

Just a thought.
9/4/2014 1:20 PM
I vote against all proposals for change above primarily because of the burnout concerns others have raised.

GUESS is fantastic as is, and individual users can collect the stats from GUESS to record and manipulate as they personally see fit.

As a side concern, WIS has been very friendly toward GUESS in the past, but the more data GUESS scrapes the more WIS may become wary.
9/4/2014 1:54 PM
Hey Bob - to be more specific

I have a RB I converted to TE two seasons ago that still shows up with the RB rating headers when you click on his name to pull up his season by season growth 
Check out my TE Zach Walker
9/4/2014 7:52 PM
Posted by rangerscott on 9/4/2014 7:52:00 PM (view original):
Hey Bob - to be more specific

I have a RB I converted to TE two seasons ago that still shows up with the RB rating headers when you click on his name to pull up his season by season growth 
Check out my TE Zach Walker
OK, so it's just the headers that are messed up.  I'll have to look at the page code to see how that's pulled.  Not sure there is going to be a simple way to fix that, other than eliminate references to the position altogether (in the headings).
9/5/2014 2:27 AM
Posted by champ83 on 9/4/2014 1:20:00 PM (view original):
Would it be possible, without an extraordinary amount of effort, to archive each team's individual player stats, each team's game scores, or at the very least archive the playoff scores for each world?  History only has the team stats for every year.  I save my team's schedule and individual stats each season, and sometimes the scores of the playoffs. It's interesting to look back at scores and individual stats for teams you have coached for a long while, and look back at scores vs coaches you often play in the playoffs.

Just a thought.
Not without a tremendous amount of effort, and I would need yatzr to write a scraper specifically for this.
9/5/2014 2:28 AM
What about the stars? Can we het two and three star recruits? Or is that to much?
9/5/2014 4:37 PM
Posted by cfbfan18 on 9/5/2014 4:37:00 PM (view original):
What about the stars? Can we het two and three star recruits? Or is that to much?
Not a lot of work, I just never thought there was much value in giving star ratings to anyone below 4 stars.

9/7/2014 12:12 AM
Hey Bob. (Hi Bob, btw). Hayes was posted today. Thanks! clicked on ads.
9/7/2014 12:20 AM
Posted by bhazlewood on 9/7/2014 12:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by cfbfan18 on 9/5/2014 4:37:00 PM (view original):
Not a lot of work, I just never thought there was much value in giving star ratings to anyone below 4 stars.

Well whatever. Glad you just finally answered after my third time asking.
9/7/2014 12:42 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
GUESS Report Idea / Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.