How to stop I-formation/RB pass offense Topic

A team in my conference runs exclusively out of the I-formation and makes short (mainly line of scrimmage or behind) passes to the RB's EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Granted, his team is head and shoulders above any other in the conference, but I am looking for some type of equalizer. Any ideas?
9/19/2014 9:33 AM
Run the 4-4 defense, and set all 4 linebackers to cover. The linebackers are responsible for covering the RBs running pass routes. Make sure you recruit good linebackers (good speed, instinct, tackling, etc.. But this defense only leaves 3 players in the defensive secondary, so make sure you don't run this defense against teams that like to throw to their wide receivers a lot. And if he runs the ball a good share of the time, then maybe the 4-3 defense would be better, with all 3 linebackers covering the RBs.
9/19/2014 1:43 PM
Doesnt matter what you do, that can not be stopped.  Rutgers is pretty much unstoppable running that offense.  He is throwing for 900+ yards a game with no ints.  Should be an easy stop.  but doesnt look lilke anyone can figure it out.  A lot of great coaches have tried only to get destroyed.
9/19/2014 2:47 PM
I have some thoughts....if you send a sitemail.
9/19/2014 4:40 PM
I want to know the secret as well.  This glitch is ruining the game in my view. 
9/20/2014 12:08 AM
It is ruining the fun, because nobody in that world has a shot at the NC game because one slot is already filled before the season begins. We all have to fight over the other spot. I scheduled him for next season, because if I want a shot at the NC game with my Washington team, then I am going to have to go thru Rutgers to get there anyways. So why not?!?!?!
9/20/2014 6:15 AM
Has anyone sent in a ticket? No disrespect to anyone running that offense and props to finding a strategy that works. However, I agree that something needs to be done in the game engine to fix whatever is allowing these crazy results.
9/20/2014 2:40 PM
Fixing fatigue would be the first step.
9/20/2014 7:22 PM
What makes slid64er's teams so good is the QB's .   QB's with GI's in the 80's to 90's and that short pass is money in the bank.   He doesn't just throw to RB's short and very short,  his QB's make progressions and the check off player is the RB..  GI , at least I'm pretty sure has to do with how well a QB goes through progressions.   

The key to stopping it is a really good defense and a well thought out blitz.. force the throw quick.
9/21/2014 7:49 AM
So let me get this straight?  You want them to send in a ticket for WIS to nerf his offense somehow to make it more fair to the other coaches in Hayes?  Go take a look at that Rutgers team, he has great skill position players and a great OL, but his defense is underpowered by a large margin (think Denver in the NFL or the Colts, or even old Texas Tech teams).  That said, he isn't out recruiting everyone, here are his recruit class ranks 15, 21, 17, 9, 8, 9, 13, 13, 29.....even his Full Roster Rank isn't #1, 5, 5, 2, 3, 4, 9, 14, 20, 28.  So he isn't out recruiting nor is he getting to play more games than anyone else due to deep playoff runs.

He is also not just throwing to the RBs, through 13 games, he has 2 WRs and a TE all with 100+ catches and 1600+ yards EACH (17/19/20 tds respectively).  That production makes up half of his offense.

So slid64er isn't just steamrolling everyone because of a glitch, he is just out coaching most of them there though he is still beatable as evidenced by his record.  

Just saying pump the breaks before worrying about contacting WIS on this.
9/21/2014 12:57 PM
Everyone complained about Gus Malzahn's HUNH, even my own coach Bielema complained about it.  Now everyone is installing some form of the hurry up no huddle.  It's football.  At one time the wishbond was the newest and flashiest thing in football. Not anymore.
9/21/2014 1:17 PM
I don't like the current engine, but it does allow for many different ways to move the ball and score points, which is a good thing.  If you hit it just right, I think there is also a way to stop every offense that can be fielded.  In both cases you have to recruit for it.  Don't expect your bruising run stopping LB to be able to cover a RB who looks like a WR.
9/21/2014 1:27 PM
Posted by shonmurphy20 on 9/21/2014 7:49:00 AM (view original):
What makes slid64er's teams so good is the QB's .   QB's with GI's in the 80's to 90's and that short pass is money in the bank.   He doesn't just throw to RB's short and very short,  his QB's make progressions and the check off player is the RB..  GI , at least I'm pretty sure has to do with how well a QB goes through progressions.   

The key to stopping it is a really good defense and a well thought out blitz.. force the throw quick.
I haven't checked all of his teams, but I did check one and at least one of his formations does not use a check down. When Slid64er throws short passes, ALL passes are to his RB's. Medium passes are more spread out.

Not that any of this matters as I would agree with Shon that his QB's are rock solid so even if you know what's coming, it is very difficult to stop.
9/21/2014 5:38 PM
Posted by jtd79 on 9/21/2014 12:57:00 PM (view original):
So let me get this straight?  You want them to send in a ticket for WIS to nerf his offense somehow to make it more fair to the other coaches in Hayes?  Go take a look at that Rutgers team, he has great skill position players and a great OL, but his defense is underpowered by a large margin (think Denver in the NFL or the Colts, or even old Texas Tech teams).  That said, he isn't out recruiting everyone, here are his recruit class ranks 15, 21, 17, 9, 8, 9, 13, 13, 29.....even his Full Roster Rank isn't #1, 5, 5, 2, 3, 4, 9, 14, 20, 28.  So he isn't out recruiting nor is he getting to play more games than anyone else due to deep playoff runs.

He is also not just throwing to the RBs, through 13 games, he has 2 WRs and a TE all with 100+ catches and 1600+ yards EACH (17/19/20 tds respectively).  That production makes up half of his offense.

So slid64er isn't just steamrolling everyone because of a glitch, he is just out coaching most of them there though he is still beatable as evidenced by his record.  

Just saying pump the breaks before worrying about contacting WIS on this.
JTD, I totally get your point of view and I hesitantly suggested that this might be something GD needs to look into. As I said, major props to him and I do not want to suggest his success is due to a so-called "glitch".

I would just ask that GD look to determine if there is some systemic flaw that is inflating the passing efficiency. You even admit that his talent is not that much better than his competitors (at least for Rutgers). So, it's concerning that great coaches know he is going to pass 100% of the time out of the I-Formation, yet they can do nothing to stop him from putting up 400+ yards passing. The last thing we all want in this game is slid64er copycats that exploit a weakness in the game engine.

That said, it's a slippery slope, so I completely understand and respect your POV.
9/21/2014 5:50 PM
I wish this string was about my offense...asking WIS to fix something is scarier than the Offense itself.  I think some really smart coach (probably in the SEC or BEAST) will eventually hit on the formula.
9/22/2014 5:01 PM
1234 Next ▸
How to stop I-formation/RB pass offense Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.