How to stop I-formation/RB pass offense Topic

Posted by bjschumacher on 9/24/2014 11:25:00 PM (view original):
Hypno, then I would suggest that you just leave and start your own game. Sorry, it's just the mood I'm in right now. But they are not going to make any more big changes to the game for awhile. ******** is not going to solve anything. We are just trying to learn how to work with what we have.
I'm just daydreaming - I fully realize none of that will ever happen. If I make a time machine, maybe I'll go back to 2004 and put that on the board.
9/25/2014 6:05 AM
All this talking about stopping the I formation and slid64er, there is others out there that is doing the same thing with the pro set and no one has mentioned a word about him yet.  Look at cfbfan18 Florida team in Wilkinson or any of his teams. He just threw up 618 yards and 56 points against then #2 LSU

http://wisjournal.com/gd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=4952075
9/27/2014 10:42 PM (edited)
The problem I am facing is that the RB's are catching the passes exclusively. the FL WIlkinson team throws to his WR's as well.
9/26/2014 8:51 AM
I have gotten smashed by these guys.  To beat then you have run an offense thats ball control and on D i had success with a Nickel Press
9/26/2014 7:56 PM
If the team is only throwing to the RB's, or the RB's and a TE, then here is what you need to do. Since he is ignoring his WR's you can also ignore them, so blitz with your CB's on every down. You need to use at least as many LB's in coverage as he has receivers in the pass pattern, therefore if he is passing to 2 RB's and a TE you need at least 3 LB's in cover. Do not blitz with your FS or SS, they are backing up your LB's deep. If your opponent does not leave an RB, or at least a TE in to help with blocking and he tries to throw long or deep, then you are going to rack up a lot of sacks with your CB blitz. If he is throwing all short passes or short to medium passes, then move your DB's up closer to the line and you will probably get some coverage sacks. If he decides to start throwing to his WR's then you may give up some yards but your FS and SS's will cover for the blitzing CB. That's what I did and it worked for me in a 3-4 defense and it should also work in a 4-3, you would have to be careful in a 4-4 if he is throwing deep to multiple receivers.
9/27/2014 1:07 AM
Even beating elites with non BCS teams

http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=4963814
9/27/2014 10:42 PM
Even the game above shows where it's not all to the RB's - about even between RB's and WR's (oddly no TE's at all). Which means if you implement the solution above it won't work. Seems like something else a more accurate fatigue model might 'solve' (if it needs solving).
9/28/2014 6:52 AM
Posted by hypnotoad on 9/28/2014 6:52:00 AM (view original):
Even the game above shows where it's not all to the RB's - about even between RB's and WR's (oddly no TE's at all). Which means if you implement the solution above it won't work. Seems like something else a more accurate fatigue model might 'solve' (if it needs solving).
I don't believe fatigue will help if they are recruiting well, aka better depth than their opponents.
9/28/2014 8:59 AM
Posted by awags on 9/28/2014 8:59:00 AM (view original):
Posted by hypnotoad on 9/28/2014 6:52:00 AM (view original):
I don't believe fatigue will help if they are recruiting well, aka better depth than their opponents.
Well I agree that should always apply, but if the same 3-4 guys are always on the field running routes that should matter more than it appears to at this point.
9/28/2014 9:15 AM
I suggest making LB's your top priority in recruiting.  I think a lot of us (myself included) have made lb's and "afterthought".  GD 2.0 swayed us into not having a big need for LB's.  Its not that we didn't want great LB's on our teams; its that I rarely battled for one and settled for 2nd tier LB's.  Its like anything else that trends.  Passing to Rb's will become the premier offense thus raising the value of Rb's, Qb's, and LB's.  Heck, I might start exploring what happens if we start converting DB's to LB. Imagine something that simple shutting down the receiving RB.   WELL, good coaches evolve.

Make no mistake: GD 3.0 is all about exploiting match ups! 
9/28/2014 11:32 AM
Posted by tigerpark135 on 9/28/2014 11:32:00 AM (view original):
I suggest making LB's your top priority in recruiting.  I think a lot of us (myself included) have made lb's and "afterthought".  GD 2.0 swayed us into not having a big need for LB's.  Its not that we didn't want great LB's on our teams; its that I rarely battled for one and settled for 2nd tier LB's.  Its like anything else that trends.  Passing to Rb's will become the premier offense thus raising the value of Rb's, Qb's, and LB's.  Heck, I might start exploring what happens if we start converting DB's to LB. Imagine something that simple shutting down the receiving RB.   WELL, good coaches evolve.

Make no mistake: GD 3.0 is all about exploiting match ups! 
Great point Tiger! I've always de-emphasized recruiting LBs and have shifted more focus to that position recently.
9/28/2014 12:10 PM
Posted by grindi on 9/27/2014 10:42:00 PM (view original):
Even beating elites with non BCS teams

http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=4963814
If you break down this game using Yatzr's game analyzer you can see what happened to FSU. First they were lined up in a 4-4 which I have already noted is a shaky defense against this type offensive attack because there is only one Safety. FSU lined up to defend against run as much as 50% of the game while WMU was passing 100% of the time. Of the four LB's available, LB1 & LB2 were always set to line to cover run plays (Unnecessarily), that left LB's 3&4 to defend the two RB's in the pass pattern, which might have been enough if they were good. But then FSU also had LB's 3&4 blitzing on almost every down, which meant that there was only one LB covering two RB's in pass defense for most of the ballgame. The FSU Safety was not much help on short to medium passes since he had to potentially defend three receivers on long or deep routes. WMU blocked with his TE giving him 6 blockers against 5 rushers and he threw mostly short to medium passes to his RB's. This was a great and well executed offensive game plan, all that his QB had to do was pick out the open RB receiver and play pitch and catch with him.
9/28/2014 3:13 PM (edited)
But his wr's did catch almost half of the attempts, if I remember correctly.
9/28/2014 3:37 PM
Posted by hypnotoad on 9/28/2014 3:37:00 PM (view original):
But his wr's did catch almost half of the attempts, if I remember correctly.
Yes the WR's were targeted for around 35% of the passes, so this game was not exactly like the original premises. By using his wide receivers the WMU coach was able to keep FSU honest forcing him to defend them with his CB's and Safety. So you end up with four receivers in the pattern, 2 WR's and 2 RB's. The two WR's are covered by the CB's, one RB is covered by and LB, the Safety is helping cover the WR's and the RB's over the top medium to long leaving one RB uncovered short to medium.
9/28/2014 4:07 PM
Pete_61 don't give away all of my secrets all at once.
9/28/2014 9:26 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
How to stop I-formation/RB pass offense Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.