D3 Recruiting Battle *need clarification* Topic

Right, it doesn't explain your specific predicament but I just wanted to clarify the statement. Looks like timing might be a bigger factor than previously thought.
1/21/2015 11:56 AM
The only thing that I can see is cman has 77 wins in the last 4 years to your 55. The is an amount of prestige that goes into it. I would not have thought that it would account for that big of a gap
1/21/2015 11:59 AM
Posted by mraston on 1/20/2015 10:53:00 PM (view original):
jc1796, I really hope it's not something as stupid as that on my part. I never withdrew my scholarship offer and I can't recall ever having the option of offering again. An expensive lesson to learn that could have been learned for $360. Good catch because I don't think I would have noticed that.
Yeah, if I'm reading the logs correctly here, you both offered a scholarship on 1/14 (second day of recruiting).  The recruit accepted Team 2's offer, but not Team 1's.  In reading the log, I don't see where Team 1 went back and re-offered anywhere.  If this is the case, as you stated, you never offered the guy, so all of the debate as to why you spent more money than Team 2 is moot, because the recruit never had an offer to accept.  

I see you went to NAU - I did too, although I didn't end up graduating from there (I finished at ASU).  There are a couple of us on here, I believe.  Best of luck, and because of your situation, I will always be super careful and make sure my schollie offers are always accepted before battling.  I could easily have missed this too.
1/21/2015 1:36 PM
Scholly offers are not accepted until the player has decided which school he is going to. The only reason it says scholly not accepted in this case is because the player chose to go to another school.  You could offer a scholly on the very first cycle and it will show pending until the player accepts or declines it.
1/21/2015 3:07 PM
Thanks for sharing this info guys. I think everyone is trying to redivide recruiting tactics now. It's good info.
1/21/2015 3:36 PM
Maybe reputation plays a part?  I have A+ while mraston is A-.  Maybe that combined with the win prestige negated the $9k difference???
1/21/2015 4:16 PM
It *should* play a part - that's why it's there, but I've never really had a good idea how much of a difference it actually makes. I always assumed not that much of one.
1/21/2015 4:45 PM
Posted by cman2k on 1/21/2015 4:16:00 PM (view original):
Maybe reputation plays a part?  I have A+ while mraston is A-.  Maybe that combined with the win prestige negated the $9k difference???
Bingo! This plus the # of CVs and not so much the total $$$ spent is all part of it.
1/21/2015 7:29 PM
Posted by golfpro71 on 1/21/2015 7:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cman2k on 1/21/2015 4:16:00 PM (view original):
Bingo! This plus the # of CVs and not so much the total $$$ spent is all part of it.
The A+ over the A- is going to make up for the 18 less CVs that were put into the recruit? That seems a little extreme to me
1/21/2015 8:31 PM
Posted by mktulu2 on 1/21/2015 11:59:00 AM (view original):
The only thing that I can see is cman has 77 wins in the last 4 years to your 55. The is an amount of prestige that goes into it. I would not have thought that it would account for that big of a gap
This.  The reputation for cman's school is much better than Lebanon Valley's., therefore each CV carries more recruiting effort and he would need fewer CVs to land the recruit.

1/22/2015 9:19 AM
Posted by realist9900 on 1/20/2015 10:07:00 PM (view original):
Yea that has always confused me also. How a team with far less money can win a battle or at least extend it so you lose a ton of money.

How do you know exactly how much your opponent spent and on what?
My same thought too!  It is amazing you have that insight.
1/22/2015 9:25 AM
Posted by wvufan76 on 1/22/2015 9:25:00 AM (view original):
Posted by realist9900 on 1/20/2015 10:07:00 PM (view original):
Yea that has always confused me also. How a team with far less money can win a battle or at least extend it so you lose a ton of money.

How do you know exactly how much your opponent spent and on what?
My same thought too!  It is amazing you have that insight.
They sitemailed after the fact, exchanging info.
1/22/2015 11:15 AM
1) It's about effort and not amount of money spent.
2) Effort isn't counted unless the recruit accepts (50 CV not accepted is the same as 0 CV offered)
3) Reputation and Prestige play a bigger factor than most think.
4) It's 0s and 1s, anything can happen.
1/22/2015 11:53 AM
y n e 1 would have a $$ recruiting battle that extensive @ DIII is beyond my comprehension..
1/23/2015 7:04 PM
Posted by superv97 on 1/21/2015 3:07:00 PM (view original):
Scholly offers are not accepted until the player has decided which school he is going to. The only reason it says scholly not accepted in this case is because the player chose to go to another school.  You could offer a scholly on the very first cycle and it will show pending until the player accepts or declines it.
It is pretty obvious what happened. Recruiting started on 1/13, and both teams sent out scouts. Reports came back on 1/14. I bet team #2 had the player green or yellow and to team #1 the player was red. The player (green/yellow to #2) accepted the scholarship for School #2 and reject the scholarship to #1 (red to #1). Team #1 never re-offered the scholarship. A scholarship offer has some impact to recruiting (such as playing time and starts).

I have yet to have a player accept a scholarship offer when they are red.. They won't automatically switch back to accept once they have rejected. It will only stay "pending" until the first cycle of day 2 when scouts and players begin responding, then they will accept or decline. No player will automatically decline a scholarship if they are turned yellow or green. (they will for starts or playing time though). Many times players may have accepted numerous scholarship offers, but still remain in battles with the top two candidates.
1/24/2015 1:51 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
D3 Recruiting Battle *need clarification* Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.