D1A Blog Season 107 Topic

Posted by hitman1979 on 1/15/2015 3:13:00 PM (view original):
Despite the loss, Penn State only falls to 2 in the WIS Rankings!  We could have a situation on our hands.
Certainly and remember, Penn State does not play a game tomorrow. Meanwhile, LSU is playing #6 Florida and BC is playing #28 Miami. If both LSU and BC lose, PSU becomes the likely favorite BUT if USC beats #19 Washington, they will be in the mix. This could play out so many ways tomorrow. 
1/15/2015 3:20 PM
I think that PSU can only get leaped by BC. Maybe LSU? 4 SOS is going to be hard to overcome for USC or TCU.

1/15/2015 4:19 PM
Another interesting subplot is the battle for #12. The top tier bowls pull their teams from the WIS Top 12. Nevada currently stands 13th, .07 points behind twelfth place Pitt. Pitt has no CC game courtesy of #1 Rutgers being in the same division while Nevada plays 12-1 Wyoming for the WAC Championship. Both teams deserve a top tier bowl but with the separation between #11 and #12 as well as #13 and #14, one of these two teams is going to get the shaft. If we beat Wyoming, do the WIS Rankings consider that worth .08 points over an idle team? If not, I really will need to schedule five elites every year.

1/15/2015 6:17 PM
Or recruit some more humans to the WAC!
1/15/2015 7:02 PM
Just an FYI: I have not heard from rwilcox, I assume he's pretty busy. Anyways, tomorrow evenings show will be you guys calling in and asking a question or making a quick point. You can ask about the show, playoffs, tell me I'm a bad host...etc. But all of that will happen during the 10/10:30 show. (I'll give you a definite time tomorrow).

So, here is the lineup for tomorrow:

3:00 PM EST - D1AA Bracket Reveal Show

Immediately after - D1A Bowl Reveal Show

Late night - Post-season Anything Goes Show
1/15/2015 10:51 PM
2  Questions 

1. Can a conference have 3 teams make Level 5 bowls? 

2. Can both Navy and Nevada make a level 5 bowl? Or does the engine only take one non-BCS school? 
1/16/2015 11:51 AM
For both the Bracket Reveal Show and the Bowl Reveal Show, go here: www.spreaker.com/user/7821679

3PM EST

1/16/2015 2:29 PM
Posted by cjsweat on 1/16/2015 11:51:00 AM (view original):
2  Questions 

1. Can a conference have 3 teams make Level 5 bowls? 

2. Can both Navy and Nevada make a level 5 bowl? Or does the engine only take one non-BCS school? 
1) Yes a conference can have three level 5 bowls if they are in the Top 10 in the final rankings<br />
2) The only way they both will make a level 5 is if they are in the top 10 in the final rankings.&#160;<br />
<br />
With three top 10 teams losing Navy should be a shoe in for a level 5 and Nevada may make the ten spot. Florida on the other hand should be out of the level 5 bowl game with our loss today.
1/16/2015 2:40 PM
Not sure what happened. Working on a fix. 
1/16/2015 3:14 PM
Alright go here for the rest of the show: www.spreaker.com/user/7947346
1/16/2015 3:15 PM
Sorry about the first show. I have no idea what happened. Anyways, here are both parts: 

Part 1: www.spreaker.com/user/7821679

P
art 2: www.spreaker.com/user/7947346
1/16/2015 3:44 PM

Tonight's call-in show starts at 10:30PM EST

Link for later today: www.blogtalkradio.com/cjsweat/2015/01/17/wesrn--post-season-call-in-show

T
o call in, dial this number when the show starts: (646) 200-4310

Note: The old blog-talk radio profile will not work for today's show. You must use the above link.

1/16/2015 4:12 PM (edited)
Is that 10:30 et?
1/16/2015 4:12 PM
Posted by cfbfan18 on 1/16/2015 4:12:00 PM (view original):
Is that 10:30 et?
Yes. Sorry about that. I went ahead and edited the above post. 10:30PM EST
1/16/2015 4:13 PM
Those of you offended by rants, please move onto the next post.

Before I get started, this is no disrespect to Maryland. My rant has nothing to do with my opposition in the bowl game but more at some statistical oddities in the ranking system. For the rest of you...

/rant

Exactly what all must I do at the University of Nevada to get a top tier bowl game? We went undefeated, had an 45 point average margin of victory and beat Arizona State and Notre Dame on the road as well as another elite at home. I understand the challenges of living in a weak conference, but it can be somewhat difficult to recruit people to a conference where you have an eighty game winning streak and very little hope of making a major bowl game. Hopefully by the end of this rant, I'll give some of you a reason to try just that.

On top of this, a team ranked behind us with a loss makes a top tier bowl game while we go to the Gator Bowl (where Nevada has been to that or the Outback 8 of the past 9 seasons). All due respect to ez at Minnesota (we have a long tradition of competition going back to sharing a conference in 1AA where we would play three times a year, the last being in the title game), but there is simply no way Nevada should be on the outside looking in.

Additionally, Texas, with an identical record and an SOS of one better than Nevada, is ranked 6th. Exactly how does that make any sense? Is the difference of 1 point of SOS the difference between 6th and 12th? Apaprently the WIS ranking system treats it as 6.27 ratings points different. That is absurd.

Since I want to stick around at least long enough to see the development of Robert Bailey, I'm going to have to try to come up with a solution to this dilemma. The only solution I have within my direct control is twofold:

1) I will attempt to schedule five elites as non-conference games here on out. USC, Florida, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Florida State, Penn State and whoever else I'm missing, I'll need your help by accepting my challenges. The only other school I will want to schedule is Stanford, since I think his team is on the verge of greatness (and he paid enough recruiting Robert Bailey that eh should at least see him get to play once a year) If I beat five elites, go undefeated and still cant make a championship game, I'll drop this game like a perfect pass to a KC wide receiver.

2) I'll put out a standing offer to give a gift certificate good for two seasons of WIS Gridiron Dynasty to the first team that ends my run in the WAC by beating us in the conference championship or replaces me in the conference championship by beating us. This offer isn't good if we both go undefeated in WAC play but you get the CC bid because of my murderous OOC schedule and I lose the tiebreaker. I know that there are a ton of great coaches in D1AA and I'm calling you out directly. If I can build a team like this in the WAC, you can too and have me pay for your season(s). This offer applies until I get sick enough of Gator/Outback bowls that I rage quit. It will definitely last at least until Robert Bailey's graduation. If we can get enough good teams into the WAC, I'll be happy to pay and to stay.

cjsweat, if you wouldn't mind passing my challenge on to the D1AA guys on your show I'd appreciate it.

/endrant
1/16/2015 7:06 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8 Next ▸
D1A Blog Season 107 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.