All Forums > SimLeague Baseball > Progressive Theme League Classifieds > Progressive Leagues Wall of Shame
2/17/2011 1:28 AM
Yeah and take look at who I acquired with
my late 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd picks.

Juan Guzman 1st rd (player drafted TBD '93 draft)
Bob Welch for 1st rd (player drafted Rick Reed)
Mike Moore for 1st rd (player drafted Jose Vizcaino)
Kirby Puckett for 1st rd (player drafted Dave Burba)
Mickey Tettleton 1st rd (player drafted Mark Clark)
Mike Bielecki for 3rd rd (player drafted Carlos Quintana)
Rob Dibble & Chris Nabholz for 2nd rd (player drafted TBD '93 draft)
Brian Downing
Jeff Russell
Bob Ojeda
Tom Brunansky
2/17/2011 1:51 AM
That's wonderful.  I'm glad you've done such a good job with the team and will stick around to reap the rewards of your brilliance.  I look forward to watching your team try to repeat in 1993.
2/17/2011 6:20 PM
Ok, so is slickstick coming back or not?

And BTW I routinely trade away my draftpicks in the 2 progressives I am still in.
There are a ton of factors, most very obvious, but looking over my past 10 progressive seaons, it looks like I trade out of the top 2-3 rounds about 1/2 the time.

At my height of progressives, I was in 10 (2 folded). But like just4me said, I found out what I liked and did not like.
The last 1 I left, due to time constraints was shadow35's. I was one of 4 expansion teams in '69 and left before the '73 season. I was horrid, but left the team w/ a stacked 1970's rotation, a decent offense and the 7th or 8th pick. Sure I'm no saint, but I am also pretty sure I NEVER left my team in a lurch.
Most often, the teams I inherited were on the upswing when I left them.

My only beef was the traded the 1 and 2. Sure they were probably picks 21-24 or 45-48, but they still would be helpfull in rebuilding.

Anyway, lets try and move on from this.....
2/17/2011 7:27 PM
Posted by slickstick81 on 2/16/2011 11:58:00 PM (view original):
If I understand this correctly, the owner inherited a  "powerhouse" club after the 1987 season. 

THEN: Going into the '88 draft, the team payroll was 68M for 20 players.
NOW:   Going into the '93 draft, this team's payroll is 61M for 19 players.

Inherited best multi season players on the team
Roger Clemens, Ryne Sandberg, Paul Molitor, Kent Hrbek

Current best multi season players on the team
Roger Clemens, Juan Guzman, Kirby Puckett, Paul Molitor, Mickey Tettleton

The owner of this inherited "powerhouse" team has
traded away it's 1st rd pick every season dating back 
to the '89 draft.

The owner has traded away
it's 2nd rd pick in all drafts dating back
to the '89 draft, sans '91 when he selected
3B Leo Gomez, who's best season is yet 
to come in '94.

I would argue that this team is in better shape now,
then when it was inherited.

This owner also stated, he would return if he won the WS.
The owner did  win the WS and will indeed honor his statement.
"I would argue that this team is in better shape now,
then when it was inherited."

And I would argue that statement is ridiculous.....you inherited a team with 3 HOF's in the prime of their careers..... you're leaving it with Juan Guzman and Mickey Tettleton?  Come on man,   that core isn't awful but it isn't any where near what you got.

2/23/2011 5:49 PM (edited)

Hi all,

I just came across this thread and wanted to respond.

First, thanks to all who defended my name. If I may have a chance to explain, I’m new to this prog league thing. I’m in one league so far and I’m really enjoying it. In regards to the 82 prog league I attempted to join, what happened was after my first several picks, I started receiving emails from the commish about my intentions. After assuring him I was really excited about being in the league and had no intent to bail, I was asked to transfer a team over to him. I declined because I had never heard of such a thing and was a little insulted.  So everything stated in the forum is true.

My intention for the league was to draft as much pitching as I possibly could up front and use them as trading chips for future picks or hitting. I absolutely knew I’d have a few good years and then have to rebuild. But that’s why I was so excited to get into the league from the beginning. I was looking forward to taking a franchise through the ups and downs. I actually put a lot of time into my drafting strategy.

A couple things:

First, after reading through this post, I do better understand what commissioners have to go through. I’d be just as upset as you if I were in the same situation and had owners bailing on you.

A couple points of unsolicited advice:

1) how about letting owners know that you’d like them to stay in the leagues for up to a certain amount of seasons in advance. I’ve noticed that in several of the listings on here and think it’s a great idea.

2) if you’re planning on blacklisting somebody, how about site-mailing them so they have a chance to respond. If not, as some suggested, there could be another problem.

If I could also remind the commissioners of these leagues that when you send out requests to be in your league, that maybe you let prospective owners know your requirements. I was upfront with the commish in this league about being new to prog leagues.

By the way, if I was guilty of anything in this matter, it was possibly a bad drafting strategy (although I really wish I would have had the chance to employ it). And as much as I do feel for the commissioners of these leagues, I pay for my teams just as you do and should have a right to draft who I want. And I did not quit on this league as much as I wasn't able to proceed with my picks to employ my strategy. I try to be an honest guy and if I say I'm going to do something, I do it.

Just for the record, I harbor no ill will towards the commish of the league. Especially after reading this forum, I understand the difficulties you all must face. I just wish he would have handled the situation better and given me some consideration since I was upfront from the beginning with my intentions. Because of my experience I am hestitant to join another league for fear of getting into this situation again.

Finally, lets try to remember this is supposed to be fun. At least it is for me. It’s a nice diversion from everyday life that gives me something to do.

3/9/2011 1:07 PM
In the Time Lapse Regressive , after two solid seasons, posting Keepers and even posting a City/Stdium change the day before the draft, yatagon mysteriously disappeared.  We are in the 10th round and still no word.  He has not checked his sitemail so I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but now I am stuck drafting his team and mine which have back to back picks.  This means that I need to balance my draft strategy with making sure his team is in good enough shape to find another owner.  It really sucks.
3/9/2011 1:16 PM
tradrrr in response to your post.  I had you in my league because another great owner vouched for you and that is good enough for me.  You have done a fine job drafting and are a welcome addition to my league.  But about your suggestions:

"1) how about letting owners know that you’d like them to stay in the leagues for up to a certain amount of seasons in advance. I’ve noticed that in several of the listings on here and think it’s a great idea." Playing multiple seasons is a known fact, I should not have to post that I expect you to play 5+ seasons.  Frankly, when starting a regressive, progressive a founder assumes that you are there for as long as the league runs.  That may sound unrealistic, but there are tons of owners that do this.

"2) if you’re planning on blacklisting somebody, how about site-mailing them so they have a chance to respond. If not, as some suggested, there could be another problem."  Running these leagues and drafts is a ton of work.  Mind you it is work that you sign up for when you start a league like that.  I am not asking owners to feel sorry for founders but to have respect for the work that goes into it.  The founders credit is certainly not payment enough.  This season alone I have offered two free teams in the future and now I will probably wind up running a team from a bailed owner and my franchise.  That is 4 teams just for this season alone.  If someone bails on my league, they owe me a sitemail not the other way around.  I assure you that if someone bails on your league you have already sent them at least 4-6 Sitemails asking what is up.  In addition, those sitemails are always overly polite and *** kissing.  If you send an FU Sitemail people act like you are the *** and not them.  It is moments like that that make you want to stop running the league.

9/7/2011 11:10 PM
12/19/2011 1:55 AM
I've got to add ronblood to the list.  He has burned several leagues without returning sitemails and I guess the SSHH is just the latest.  He was late for drafts, often selected players that had already been picked several rounds before, and generally disrupted the flow of our inaugural draft.  I would not suggest letting him in a progressive league...there are just too many negatives.
1/6/2012 7:21 PM
I thought ronblood was a charter member, or was that a nightmare.
1/11/2012 10:22 AM
I like Ron.  He's slow in getting his keepers and stuff in but is a solid owner and always let me know what's going on and his time frame.
1/11/2012 10:09 PM
He hasn't made a forum post since Dec. 17th. I'm thinking he's gone
1/11/2012 11:05 PM
I got a smail from him this week.   He said he was super busy with work
1/13/2012 11:37 PM
I'm with TJ on ron. Yeah he is always late doing stuff but he is dependable.If you are in a laid back league ron is a good fit. If you are in a league where everyone is always in a hurry perhaps not.
1/13/2012 11:40 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/10/2011 7:09:00 AM (view original):
In one of the leagues I run, I give new owners an extra pick at the end of the 1st round as an incentive to join.   You might want to run that by your league to see if they would approve of the that.   It might help.

FWIW, I have very little difficulty filling openings.   

Communist
of 17
All Forums > SimLeague Baseball > Progressive Theme League Classifieds > Progressive Leagues Wall of Shame

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.