New!-Ban Johnson Double Draft Prog,Leag.-19 in !! Topic

The Ban Johnson Double Draft league is named in honor of the founder of the American League. The league will be a 24 team progressive league starting with the 1901 season with separate drafts for the AL and NL. Every player will be available in both drafts. Detailed League Rules are posted in a separate thread, but relevant portions pertaining to the league set up and initial draft are posted below for easy reference.

16 team leagues do not work well for the 1901-1920 period because of a scarcity of players. 400 players are needed for a 16 team roster. There are only 287 players in the WIS database for 1901, resulting in the required use of many AAA players or double season formats etc. We will circumvent that problem by having 24 teams split into 2 12 team leagues with separate drafts for the AL and NL (and thereafter separate keeper lists, available player lists etc.). Thus within each league only 300 players will be needed (12 x 25), thus resulting in a very small shortfall (18 players,1 or 2 per per team). We will use the 1969-1976 format with 4 6 team divisions, 4 teams making the playoffs, NO INTER LEAGUE PLAY except for the World Series. Trades, including draft picks, may only be made within the same league-AL teams with other AL teams, NL teams with other NL teams.

Thus every player will appear in both leagues but with no inter league play the same player can wind up on opposing teams only in the World Series.

WIS Rules: 1969-76 format, no interleague play, 4 playoff teams, No DH, No WW, No Salary Cap, No Live play. Injuries off. Trades will be permitted within the same league only.

If interested please sign up below. Please specify a preference for NL or AL when you sign up. Preferences will be honored until one league is full.

Owners with prior progressive league experience preferred. Please do not sign up unless you anticipate being able to participate for at least 5 seasons. I reserve the right to decline owners.

11/3/2012 12:11 PM
The initial draft will be a 24 round draft, where each owner will choose 23 or 24 players .(There are only 282 players available, so 6 teams will be able to draft 24 players and 6 teams will draft 23 players).The AL and NL will draft separately. All 1901 players will be available in both drafts so for 1901 all players will be drafted in both leagues. The draft will be a standard serpentine draft. In other words, round 1 will be 1-12, round 2 will be 12-1, etc. The order will be determined by a random lottery using random.org. I will ask an owner from the other league to do the random lottery for my league.ONLY PLAYERS THAT ARE WIS ELIGIBLE IN 1901 MAY BE DRAFTED.
Rounds 1-20 will be 1 player each
Rounds 21-22 will be 2 players each except that the last 6 teams to draft in round 22 will get only 1 player
The shortfall in players (18) will be made up by drafting players with a maximum salary of $500k from 2012. These players may be replaced by AAA players if desired once the season starts. 6 teams will have 1 2012 player and 6 teams will have 2 2012 players. The 2012 $500k players will also be exclusive-a list of 2012 players drafted will be posted at least twice daily. All teams will also get 6 position and 4 pitching average AAA players.Any shortfalls in future seasons will be handled in the same way. 2012 players and AAA players may not be keepers for the following season.

Prior to the player draft there will be a 1 round draft for team/ballpark selection. The order of this draft will also be determined by a random lottery. Franchise/ballpark selections will be exclusive. Please use an actual team name from the list of available franchises, and use a ballpark used by your selected team name.

Rounds will be timed with half hour time slots, running from Noon to 5:30 PM, Eastern Time, Monday through Sunday.The inaugural draft will take 24 days.

Missed Picks
If an owner misses a pick in rounds 1-3, all subsequent picks in that round must occur during their scheduled time slot. In other words, no picking ahead of your time slot in the first three rounds unless all owners before you have picked. If the pick is still missing by the start of the next draft day, the commissioner will make the draft pick for the team.

Starting in round 4, owners no longer have to wait for missed picks to be made up. As long as the owner before you has picked, you may make your selection.

An owner who has 2 or more missed picks at any one time may be considered to have left the league. The commissioner reserves the right to take over the team and/or give the team to a new owner immediately.

Proxies
If you will be away during your pick, you have two options:
(a) post a public proxy in the league forums OR
(b) send a proxy to the commissioner and the two owners immediately following you AND post in the league forum draft thread that you have done this.

Failure to comply with at least one of these two conditions will be considered a missed pick. As long as you do either of these two things, your proxy will be honored, even if the owner posting for you posts late. All owners are expected to honor proxies responsibly – we will absolutely stop the draft, and undo “incorrect” picks if a proxy is not honored.
11/3/2012 12:12 PM
I have a private forum set up for the league. The drafts will be held in the private forum and the available player list and full league rules are posted there. Owners who sign up and are accepted for the league will be given access to the private forum
11/3/2012 12:18 PM
Available Franchises

NL East
Atlanta Braves
Cincinnati Reds
Montreal Expos
New York Mets
Philadelphia Phillies
Pittsburgh Pirates

NL West
Chicago Cubs
Houston Astros
Los Angeles Dodgers
Saint Louis Cardinals
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants

AL East
Baltimore Orioles
Boston Red Sox
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers
Milwaukee Brewers
New York Yankees

AL West
Chicago White Sox
Kansas City Royals
Los Angeles Angels
Minnesota Twins
Oakland Athletics
Texas Rangers

A few words about the above list. I have included the 24 franchises that were in existence in 1976 but moved the Braves and Reds to the East and the Cubs and Cardinals to the West.

.Owners may use any ballpark used by their selected franchise from 1901-1976. Changes in ballparks must be approved in advance by the Commissioner.
11/18/2012 9:52 AM (edited)

League sign up list:

NL
1. dspahlinger
2. cardsfan
3. oldschool62
4. kallison1
5. mikemundt
6.ljemd
7. shysters3
8. papabilly
9. seapilots

AL
1. papabilly
2. seapilots
3. firesalt
4. MMTDad
5. Yankeejoe5
6. antoncresten
7. rbrch
8. dspahlinger
9. cardsfan

Preference not yet stated:
1. johntom

site mail list: dspahlinger;papabilly;cardsfan;seapilots;oldschool62;firesalt;kallison1;MMTDad;ljemd;Yankeejoe5;mikemundt;johntom;
ljemd;antoncresten;rbrch;

11/30/2012 8:18 AM (edited)
Note-franchises may not be reserved at the time of signup-random lotteries will be held for each league after we are full so that everyone has a chance at having first choice of their preferred franchise.
11/3/2012 12:22 PM
Thanks Yankeejoe5
11/4/2012 9:51 AM
Will also take an NL as a 2nd team
11/4/2012 2:41 PM
Posted by seapilots on 11/4/2012 2:41:00 PM (view original):
Will also take an NL as a 2nd team
Thanks-cardsfan has also volunteered to take an AL as a 2nd team, as would I.
11/4/2012 3:33 PM
Sounds interesting, I'm a NL guy.
11/4/2012 5:23 PM
Thanks, mike mundt-almost halfway now (14 in if we include those willing to take a 2nd team)
11/4/2012 8:44 PM
put me down for NL
11/5/2012 10:47 AM
johntom
To:
dspahlinger
Received:
11/6/2012 9:58:00 AM
Subject:
RE: Alpha League
Sorry about the league. I just got power back so I had no access. If you could include me in the 1901 league I would greatly appreciate it.
11/6/2012 10:03 AM
I'LL JOIN. INTERESTED IN PROGRESSIVES AFTER I JOINED WESPL.

AL PLEASE
11/8/2012 7:07 PM
Thanks, antoncresten-puts us past the halfway mark.

May take a while to fill but I believe we'll get there
11/9/2012 8:23 AM
12 Next ▸
New!-Ban Johnson Double Draft Prog,Leag.-19 in !! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.